• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need info on lube for steering box

dbeal

I am now almost finished with the front end on the "old gal" and I would like to lube the steering box. Anyone have any idea what type of lube is used and how do I get it in there?

Thanks

Darrell

PB gtcs

D. We used the same gear box oil for the steering box as we used in the rear end. We are synthetic fans, some are not. We use Lucas, I think it was 75-90 w. I have to visualize the box, but there shud be a bolt on the top side where in our car is a steel tag attached. That bolt is the inbound for the oil. If not that one, then it will be one on the top there.

Brian

OP
OP
D

dbeal

I removed the bolt..and tried to pour out any gear oil..but there wasnt any..So I removed the other bolts and pulled the cover.. it has grease in it not gear lube. Do I use grease or lube? and if grease what kind??

PB gtcs

D, when I took mine apart, I found it did not have any gear lube as well. Come to find out, my top seal was shot. The way i found out was to put gear lube in and then work the box a lot. it took awhile for me to get the box working freely, but found gear lube coming out the top. Went downstairs last nite to check wot we used. It was lucas gear box lube. can be used for either rear ends or steering boxes. Sooo, that is wot ours has in it, perhaps someone else has a diff idea. By the way, the seal on top is available at most large auto parts stores if you need one. The grease you see may be 30 year old gear lube that has just had it. But, leave it to the experts to comment.

Brian

Kurt

When I rebuilt my box I used CV joint grease, works great !