• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Interesting story about a original owner CS and hood pins

390cs68rcode

Was talking to someone about a CS and he told me of a story about a original owner that had the hood pins removed and filled in AT THE DEALER in 68. She did not like the hood pins and had the dealer fill them in and repaint the hood before taking it home. This person saw a picture of the original owner the day she brought it home with the proof. I am trying to get a copy of this picture.

kinda interesting story.

mikegtcs1968

I don't believe her story. The dealer would have just replaced the hood and not have filled it in. Making the patches and welding them in with an Oxy-Ace torch would have been beyond most dealers skill and much more costly than just replacing the hood with a new one. Even with this shoddy repair, you would still be left with large holes on the other side of the hood. I bet they would have swapped it out with another mustang of the same color on the lot. Be wary of such a story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I could care less HOW it was done but rather my point was that she drove home a CS from a dealer without hood pins.

If you saw a CS without hood pins what is the first thing you would think of? front end damage? Last thing you would think of is a customer requesting the hood pins taken off.

mikegtcs1968

If she did lie about how it was done, perhaps the entire story isn't true. So it does matter how she said it was done. If the story where true, then it might qualify only as a freak occurence because a rational dealer would not have "filled and repainted" a hood. We must also consider that a dealers profit margins can not absorb such an extensive repair, so the customer would have to have paid extra to have this modification. Consider this story as an attempt to disquise ill-repaired front end damage.....or at worst, a poorly constructed clone until the owner can provide verification. A marti report and a careful inspect of the entire vechicle by a qualified body technician would be advised before a purchase could even be considered.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Another possibility is that the customer asked the dealer to fill the holes and instead of doing so he just took the hood off another car in the lot. Since the customer told the dealer to fill the holes then in that person's mind the dealer must done so because the holes are gone.

nfrntau

Your reading way too much into this. Come on!!!
The lady doesn't like the pins and tells the dealer to take them off and fill in the holes. He says whatever lady, come back in two days.
She comes back, happy customer leaves with car and her version of story.

Yea it probably happened (if at all) the way you said, dealer swapped out the hood. Why would a dealer do it any different??

Some other guy got a stock mustang with hood pins that nobody believes him either.

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

mike

the CS with the missing hood pins was not the one we were talking about for sale. This person owns 2 CS's and while talking about the one for sale he brought up the one without hood pins.

:surrender

Last edited:

gt bandit

guys

just on the Hood Pins , whilist i am a Newbie i would like to point out that the Hood Pins look identical to those used on Ford Falcon XBGT.

i just thought you might like to know -

joedls

Herck said:
i think the xbgt is the car that mad max used in his movie. it was a australia ford falcon if im not wrong.

If that is the car, there are a couple of pics of it in the Gallery, under the Fab Fords 2005 album.

CJ 56

NO Pin bonnet

Hi All, been a member for 2yrs but with computer issues etc never been able to get back on untill today. Have tried heeps of times........ anyway.
I have a GT/CS serialised on the first of Feb 1968 and the Autoworks report says it is one of 8 ( may be somthing special here) anyway it has no pins and the under side of the bonnet is welded up where the holes where. My wife likes with no pins. I have purchased some from NPD but am now undecided on fitting them.

Paul N may be able to shine some light on this as it does fall into the build date of the 7 that where made for the dealer lauch, maybe there were 8, mine is a 289 C4 but has the tacho dash and floor consul, and 4 pipe exhaust, Factory air, PS, PB etc

CJ

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I would be really interested to find out more about your car. Pictures and even the VIN to check the registry. I am sure we would all like to hear more details.

PS: I will be in New Zealand for Christmas, what city are you in?