• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS die cast model?

harryz

My wife is putting together a 50th birthday party for me and is looking for (cheap) die cast models to use as part of the centerpieces on the tables. We've both searched the net and come up with lots of 65 coupes, but no Cal Specials. Does anyone know if there are any '68 GT/CS die cast models out there? If so, who makes them? Where can we buy them.

Thanks in advance.

nfrntau

This is a quote from 68GT390 from 1-21-05

I think it will answer your question unless Don has an update for us

"Welp, I've got some bad news and some good news. First the bad news. The two car's are going to be produced but, at different times. Now the good news. The GT/CS is going to be produced as a 1/18th scale model "Royal Maroon" but, not until 2006. The GT Coupe will be produced in 2005 as a 1/18th scale model, color yet to be determined.

Reason for delay on GT/CS - detail. The company producing the models wants to make an actual casting in chrome of the "California Special" and "Mustang" script that will actually attach to the model rather than using paint. They also want to produce all the original GT/CS parts in fiberglass rather than diecast. This takes time. They want to make this particular model as authentic as possible. As a GT/CS owner, I can appreciate this. Besides, a little more time won't kill me. I've been trying for several years now to get any of the diecast companies to take note of the 68 Coupe in and by it's self. The GT/CS model has been an added benefit. They originally wanted just my GT. Anyhow, I will post updates as they become available. As my son has always told me "A fine wine takes time" and he should know since he works for E&J Gallo Wines.

They have asked that I not release the name of the company at this time. They don't want to be inindated with tons of emails asking about the models. As for exact release dates don't have those yet. Once they get the pre-production models done they will be forwarding them to me to look at and then make a final decision as to actual release date for models. I'm as excited as anyone to see the final product but, as I stated earlier waiting a little bit longer won't hurt me. Heck I've waited this long no reason to get in a big hurry now. It's kinda like Grand Turismo IV, I've been waiting for 2 years for that to come out and now it's delayed until March 05. I'll keep making posts as more information becomes available.

Don"

Cheers!

68gt390

[quote author=harryz link=board=1;threadid=1863;start=0#msg12233 date=1120614209]
My wife is putting together a 50th birthday party for me and is looking for (cheap) die cast models to use as part of the centerpieces on the tables. We've both searched the net and come up with lots of 65 coupes, but no Cal Specials. Does anyone know if there are any '68 GT/CS die cast models out there? If so, who makes them? Where can we buy them.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I am not aware of anyone or company out there at present that makes a diecast model of the 68 coupes as of yet. As an update to my original posting, I have contacted the company (person I was originally working with) that is supposidly working on a model of my two cars. As of yet they have not replied. I'm beginning to wonder what's up. My next step will be to contact the the company head directly. Last word I received from them was back in Apr 05 and they stated the GT diecast was 60% complete. Will post more as I receive info.

Don ;)

68gt390

I don't care what color it is. I just want them to continue the project and make the model. I hope to have an answer from somebody in the near future. I have a feeling that the original developer that was here taking pictures of my two cars is no longer with the company. Think it's time for a little detective work.

Don ;)