• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

fuel pump replacement on 390

deestix

So I've had the GT/CS for barely a month, and with the horrid Northeast weather this year (it has rained almost every weekend), I've hardly driven it.

Just as my wife and I started out for a drive two weekends ago, I smelled gas, looked under the car, and saw raw fuel gushing out from under the engine. Into the garage it went, and long story short, it's the fuel pump. I ordered the new pump, got it in 2 days, and set out last night to replace the pump, thinking I could access it from underneath. Here's the problem and the question:

I've got the 390, with factory A/C and power steering. After two hours of staring at the underside of the engine, I've concluded that there's NO WAY I'm going to get the pump off from the bottom. This means doing it from the top, which means unbolting the A/C compressor and P/S pump, and swinging both of those out of the way to get to the fuel pump.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice you can give me? Is this the way to proceed? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I just want to make sure I really need to do it this way before I start taking things apart. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Richard R.

63alf

Richard,

I just did this job a couple of months back - Although I only had the PS pump to worry about, and no A/C.
I tried from above and below, and found that I could only accomplish it from above. I did not need
to loosen, move or remove my PS pump to get the job done. Maybe, therefore, you only need to
deal with the AC compressor.

This is definitely a "by feel" job with that 390 motor - There is no way you can see what you are doing
so it is all done with the fingertips. Accomplishable, though.

Good luck,
Tom

OP
OP
D

deestix

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the good feedback. I plan to do the job this weekend, and I will post the results, hopefully so that other 390 owners can learn if they need to replace the fuel pump.
Richard R.