• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radio qn

Tequila

I was thinking about adding an original Ford 8-track radio to my 68 Coupe, AT, non-console car with factory A/C. I just thought it would be cool to show the kids what an 8 track player looks like and sounds like... Plus I could add 2 speakers instead of the center mounted speaker (based on wiring diagrams that I've seen so far).

Couple of qns. The car originally had a regular AM FM radio and I sent the original radio bezel for chrome plating so I can't measure it to see if the 8 track radio would fit. I doubt that it would...

Assuming the AM/FM radio bezel doesn't fit, is there a similar bezel out there that would fit my car? I have no plans for adding the center console... unless that's the only way I can get the 8-track to fit. Any source that I could buy the bezel from? Any info that you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

dalorzo_f

The 8 track shown is a '72, but dimensionally/mounting the same as a '68. When looking for one I found it hard to find a date correct unit and compromised on the '72 in good shape...

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the info and the pictures. I owe you one.

BigJim

I remember 8-tracks. We still have a couple boxes of them somewhere and an old stereo that can play them.

dalorzo_f

One note if anyone goes this route.

Old tapes generally fail at the splice. Its a good idea to get the deck cleaned or better yet fully serviced (old rubber rollers in some turn to goo) and to resplice the tapes before playing as 40+ year old ones often fail at the seam on first play and foam pressure pads turn to dust.

End up with a pile of tape jammed in the deck if the roller sticks to the tape or the tape splits....

http://www.8trackavenue.com/do-it-yourself-tape-repair.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlBcAik0IUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGPudGGIqU

http://www.katestrackshack.com/suppliesforsale.htm

68 special

It's amazing how many comments I get on mine. If I remember right it's a '70 AM/FM 8 track. picked it up for $30 at the swap meet and it plays perfectly. Bolted right in the bezel. Still considering sending it out to get refurbed.
I usually search Ebay for new unsealed tapes. been pretty lucky so far.

Bret

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I finally gotten around to installing the radio and the bezel but noticed that the bezel is too small. Do I have the wrong 8 track radio? What's strange is that the bezel seems to fit the original Philco radio, but not the 8 track. Both are the same height.

I just noticed from earlier pictures that my 8 track looks differently than the ones on this thread. Do I have a later year 8 track?

Thanks...

Attachments

• radio2.jpg
    radio2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
  • radio3.jpg
    radio3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 25
  • radio4.jpg
    radio4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Bud. Appreciate the info.

It's a bummer because I spent about $250 refurbishing it. Nothing like learning the hard way.. May be I can list it on eBay although I don't think the late 70's 8-tracks are worth that much. I did find a 68 style 8-track listed on eBay for $795 --- way too much for my budget.

Ruppstang

68-70 should fit your car. Always check the part numbers. First digit should be the year.
Marty

68 special

Also, don't they go by Alpha characters, C = 60's, D = 70's, E = 80's, and so on on most all Ford part numbers?

I could be wrong or just mistaken. :):):)

Bret

Ruppstang

You are correct Bret in Ford part #s I was speaking of radio numbers.
A 68 AM-FM radio number is 8TBZ
A 68 AM radio number is 8TPZ
The ford part number for a 68 Mustang AM 8 track is C7WA-18806-A

Tequila you may want to check with West Coast Classic Cougar, they may take your radio in trade for the one you need.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

You are correct Bret in Ford part #s I was speaking of radio numbers.
A 68 AM-FM radio number is 8TBZ
A 68 AM radio number is 8TPZ
The ford part number for a 68 Mustang AM 8 track is C7WA-18806-A

Tequila you may want to check with West Coast Classic Cougar, they may take your radio in trade for the one you need.
Marty

Thanks Marty. I checked their website and they had 1 non functioning unit for the correct style. I will give them a call anyways. Having the part number will be very handy. Thank you again.

dalorzo_f

You could also look at cutting the bezel to suit, assuming it can fit. As you have a functioning 8 track... finding a donor bezel would be far cheaper than the correct unit. This is a similar modified bezel I have...