• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Strange rattle from front of engine bay

hatchdog

My car has devoloped a rattle that sounds like a tail pipe is loose. It only happens at idle while in drive, move to neutral or park which increases the rpm and it goes away. The entire exhaust system seems tight checked by grabbing and shaking the pipes. I had my wife drive the car with the hood open while I walked alongside and it seemed like when she applied the brakes and the front end dipped the rattle could be heard briefly. However I have been stopped at a red light and it rattled enough that I put it in N to quiet it down. It sure seems like it is coming from the fan area but all seems to be tight. Maybe the grill but it's tight also. I did remove both front GT gaps thinking the emblems might be the culprit but not so. Also I found a transmission cooling line rubbing on the starter so I placed some folded over duct tape in between the two but that didn't help either.

Anybody had a similar problem and if so, what caused it?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

franklinair

Check the fan clearance between the fan & fan shroud. They have been known to rub @ the bottom area.

Neil