• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Muffler size

green56

Would like to install flowmaster but i do not know what size to put in and have a little rumbule their are to many to chose from the eng is a 289 if that matters thanks Tom

franklinair

For a stock 289, 2" is adequate. I like duals with an 'H' pipe coming off the manifolds.

Neil

OP
OP
G

green56

muffler

now i know what size but what about noise would like some but not to loud

CougarCJ

Stay with 3 chambers, 2 chamber turbos resonate too much.

OP
OP
G

green56

Mufflers

What is this Travirse muffler that MCA requires?

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Underside 2.jpg
    Underside 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Edward Bodoh

Does the tranverse MCA correct muffler apply for the 302 as well? As in thats how they were made off showroom in 68...like your picture shows. BTW very nice undercarriage ! Starting my Gt Cs restoration this fall so I'm gathering all the info I can from you guys here. Thanks...

Ruppstang

The transvers muffler was used on all engines. The duel exhaust with quad tips was used only on J code 302, S code 390 and R code 428 with the GT option. The rest had single exhaust. The only MCA classes that you would get a deduction for not having a transverse muffler would be Concours driven, Concours trailered, Throroughbred and Unrestored. Most cars are shown in Occasional divers class where we only judge on cleanlyness, condition and workmanship. Not on authenticity.
Marty MCA 38812

OP
OP
G

green56

Looking under your car in the picture how far does the red paint go and start?you just cover the black up?

Mosesatm

Tom and Edward,
Unfortunately, that's not my car. I just took the photo from a car listed on carsonline.com.
http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site/13101_1968_Shelby_GT500_KR

Tom,
I think the red oxide goes all the way to the engine compartment, but it should have overspray on it from when the exterior of the car was painted, and the pinch welds were painted.
The photo seems to be a fairly good example of a proper undercarriage but Marty or others would be a better source than me.