• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Stripes for Wimbleton White-Red or Black?

Redwingrobb

Hey Folks, I've got a quandry. Next week, I'm finally taking in my car to be repainted. Going to paint it Wimbleton White and I've got my red stripes (got a red interior if that means anything). Got to talking with Paul Newitt about color codes for red hood stripes and he suggested something I had not thought about--putting black hood stripes on the car. I was originally against having two different colors of stripes on the car, but went on the internet and pulled a few examples (although not white cars) of red and green non-CS Mustangs with white side C-stripes and black hood stripes. Looked pretty good. From an aestetic and potentially resale point of view (not looking to sell soon), I'd appreciate your thoughts on red vs black hood stripes with the red side stripes? robb

franklinair

I've not seen red hood stripes, and I don't know if they are "correct". I personally prefer the black hood stripes. I think it would look great with your color combo. Better check & be sure of correct color - as I recall, hood stripes are a kind of satin finish, not gloss.

Neil

CALIF GIRL

I like black hood stripes

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

rvrtrash

Flat black. That way you cut some of the glare when you're driving off into the sunset. :grin:

Steve

GTCSMustang

Mustang Monthly did an article on hood stripes, paint type, and dimensions a while ago. If your painter doesn't know how to paint the stripes, you should get him that information.

Scott

Mustanglvr

How about pin stripes on the side? I think it was an option in 68 was`nt it?

franklinair

Can anyone post the Mustang Monthly article that Scott mentioned? (I'm planning on putting the black hood stripe on my C/S.)

Neil

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Thanks a bunch for the Mustang Monthly article. Unless I chicken out and go red, I will probably end up with the black hood stripes with the red side stripes. Being a military guy, I think I've just been programmed to be anal about matching stripes. Since I'm getting close to retirement, time to de-program.....

Midnight Special

...Well, for what it's worth, I thought I would go ahead & illustrate what the two options may look like.... Or perhaps a third option in honor of your career ;-)

Attachments

• frntshdedstr.jpg
    frntshdedstr.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
  • frntshdedstred.jpg
    frntshdedstred.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 56
  • rob.jpg
    rob.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

LOL. That's awesome!! Don't make me change my mind again... The red side and black hood are growing on me.. Robb

...Well, for what it's worth, I thought I would go ahead & illustrate what the two options may look like.... Or perhaps a third option in honor of your career ;-)

Midnight Special

...Robb, with your first post I though it would be "sin" to have anything but red stripes especially with your interior. After playing around a bit - I think the black looks outstanding! It will highlight the blacked out grille which by design, compliments the rest of the car. I think too, that so much "red" would give the appearance of a
"poorly planned Revell model w/ an over-abundance of red Testor's" if you know what I mean ;-))

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Yep, I know what you mean. I just to make sure before I put down a load of cash and then be hard to switch back.

...Robb, with your first post I though it would be "sin" to have anything but red stripes especially with your interior. After playing around a bit - I think the black looks outstanding! It will highlight the blacked out grille which by design, compliments the rest of the car. I think too, that so much "red" would give the appearance of a
"poorly planned Revell model w/ an over-abundance of red Testor's" if you know what I mean ;-))

CALIF GIRL

I still like the black stripes. The flat is correct, but I l did not really like the flat so I didn't use it. Here is a different photo of mine.

Attachments

• DSCN2466.jpg
    DSCN2466.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 40

franklinair

I may be wrong, but I THINK hood stripes were only offered in black or white. (Satin in both cases.)

Neil

Midnight Special

I may be wrong, but I THINK hood stripes were only offered in black or white. (Satin in both cases.)

Neil

...True, but must we always be so religious?
I saw a black CS w/ gold side and hood stripes a short while ago that looked awesome! I know there is more & more pressure to be "correct" here and that Ford (then as now) created as many wonderful options to appeal to all of us. But like so many opinions and tastes - it's just not possible.

Then as now, people were buying base models (or as close to what they wanted) and adding their own wheels, performance mods, scoops, colors and everything to set them slightly apart in making their own cars. That's been among the most enjoyable facets of muscle cars for many of us...

At the same time - there are enough "posteriel" purists who will ensure plenty of factory-exact examples for museums (perhaps) 20 years from now...

With prices falling to the same levels as non-CS Mustangs and w/ so many affordably changing hands, must we insist they all be by the "book"?... or can individuals enjoy them how they want to...

The clone I've been driving all week gets tons of admiration and "awe" with it's chrome wheels, low-profile tires, bright blue color and incorrect emblems. I make no apologies while driving and showing it ...

franklinair

No argument from me. If I were to do another '68, it would be Black, Black Deluxe interior, Black vinyl top,Gold striping (whether it be a C stripe or C/S striping) AND a Gold hood stripe. I know a lot of folks adhere to the philosophy of "how it was born" (ala the Marti Report), but I'm more happy with just remaining 'period correct'. This allows me the latitude of building a car to MY taste. But that's just me:smile:
I do however, think the red hood stripe would be too much of a good thing, and I would go with the black hood stripe, not because of "correctness", but just the fact that it would look better.

Neil

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Neil, I just cut up some black trash bags to make my own stripes. Looks good, but am still wondering about having two different color stripes (red on side and black on hood). I'm still leaning toward the black....Robb

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Just curious. Think I should change from a red side stripe to a black side stripe? Would then match... (I've got red interior) Robb