• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found on Road Da Help

Wblewzman

I travel for aliving and just ran across a 68 California Special. I have a 64 Ranchero at home but want a Mustang for the lady. Here is the info. I could not decode the paint color.
65A 15 2G 17A 61 2W
8R01C129655
It has a terrible paint job on it now and appears to have been repainted an off white (cream). It has green stripes and the tail lamp panel has been painted the same color as the stripe. The interior is the same color as the stripe also. It appears to have had a vinyl top on it due to the chrome strip at the base of the roof above the quarter.
I looked all up under it and it appears solid with no rust in the usual place that mustangs rust. It does have the braces in the engine compartment and they have been chromed. It has been smacked in the rear but who ever did an ok job. It has a center console and funky clock mounted between the dash and the console. It does not appear stock. The steering wheel is a 3 spoke with simulated woodgrain on the outer area.
I am pretty sure this is a CS/GT but want a second opinion before I lay down 12K for the car. Other than the bad paint and body work everything else looks OK.
Fog lamps/Hood pin/correct tail lamps/GT emblem on gas cap/rear valance with two holes and round baffled stainless tips protruding out rear. What do you think guys. I need to jump on this if it is the real thing but am no expert on Mustangs.

OP
OP
W

Wblewzman

One more hopefully helpful thing I noted. Mustang is spelled out on the spoiler on the deck lid. Not a script like on most of the cars in the gallery. Also the quarter spoiler extension don't line up with the quarters at the trunk joint. They are about 1/2 and inch lower that the quarter at the joint. Just looking for advise guys. Let me know what you think.

68gt390

First off, I'd obtain a Standard Marti Report which can be fax'd to you quickly to verify VIN. Second, stripe color is wrong, didn't have green stripes (Only white, black, red, blue). Your exterior paint code with 2 digits usually indicates two tone paint which doesn't make sense. Your interior code 2G would be Light Ivy Gold which with wear could appear to be green if it's a light green color (green was not an interior color offered in 68 as far as I know). They did however offer an exterior color called Seafoam Green. The chrome strip at the base of the roof would definitely indicate a vinyl roof. Shouldn't have the GT pop open gas cap, nor should it have the GT rear valance since it is a "C" code car. Of course these items could have been added by a previous owner. Mustang being spelled out on the trunk lid spoiler would raise a flag also. There are some definite questions to be answered on this car. Again, I'd want a Marti Report before putting up that kind of cash for a car that sounds like it will need some work. To obtain contact info for Marti Auto Works simply click on the "VIN Reports" link located in the upper left hand corner of the home page. Sorry for the vague answers but, without pictures to go by it's hard to tell. Last but, not least I would ask the seller some pretty pointed questions and just how much history does the current owner know about the car.

Don :)

68sunlitgold

Wblewzman,
The exterior might be "I5" not "15", if so the run down would be:

Warranty Number: 8R01C129655
Year: 8 1968
Plant: R San Jose, CA
Body Series: 01 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: C 289 2v V8
Unit: 129655 129655

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data
Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: I5 Lime Gold Metallic w/Flat Black Hood
Trim: 2G Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and Ivy Gold Kiwi Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 17A January 17, 1968
D.S.O: 61 Dallas
Axle: 2 2.79:1, Conventional
Trans: W C4 Automatic

One of the problems I can see is the DSO being Dallas. There were CS's with the DSO for Dallas but I don't think they were built so early in the CS life cycle. Your date states 17 Jan, that was the date for the first big push on building the CS and the only DSO's I believe available that early are 71 & 72.

The bottom line is to get a Marti report to authenticate the car. It can be check in a day if you are willing to pay for a quick turn around.

From just the data...I would have questions about the car.

Doug

390cs68rcode

agreed Marti report to verify it is a real CS. Personally I would pass at 12k with the work needed. One thing it has going for it if it proves to be real is the Dallas DSO. 40 something of those made but the build date makes me wonder about it being a Dallas DSO. Figure 4-5k for a nice paint job and a new console and you are above what you can find one that already has decent paint and correct parts. A low end decent CS would be around $14-15k with decent paint and all correct parts.

if it was a CS and needed what you say I would offer 8-9k tops. they know it needs paint so there is your bargaining chip AFTER it checks out to be real.

Mosesatm

The console is probably from a Cougar if the clock is large and round.

OP
OP
W

Wblewzman

The clock is oval shaped with a flat square plastic screen. It appears the console was added later. The stripes are painted including the stripes on the vents. I think I am going to pass on this one. To many flags. It is available in Lovington, NM if anyone is interested. Sitting in the parking lot of a funeral home. I think I am going to keep my eye out for something in a little better shape. My gal ain't gonna wait for me to get it right before she takes off in it anyway. I'll have a tough time doing anything to it once she starts driving it. The interior color does match the above with the kiwi inserts. It has Power disc and steering. Factory A/c also but the compressor has been changed. I am headed back to GA tomorrow. I will get home and start looking. Anyone knows of a nice clean one send me an email. Thanks for the help guys....

68gt390

[quote author=Wblewzman link=board=1;threadid=1814;start=0#msg12568 date=1121649580]
Still looking for a nice C/S if anyone knows of one.
[/quote]

Don't know what price range your looking for but, check out the following link. this is were I found my CS out in Seattle WA. Just type in the required info and leave price range blank. It will pull all add's in your year group. There are currently 4 CS's listed for sale.

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline.com/searchresults.php

Hope this helps.

Don ;)

Mosesatm

There are 3 red ones on ebay right now. One of them is advertised as having only 46,000 original miles.