• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Shelby Style Wheels

JohnnyQuest515

Curious how many have used the Vintage Works 10 spoke replica Shelby wheels on your GT/CS?

Also, have any of you put on a Shelby insert instead of the one it came with? Cost difference is around $400, Shelby replicas vs. Vintage 50.

Thanks, Randy

Mosesatm

Curious how many have used the Vintage Works 10 spoke replica Shelby wheels on your GT/CS?

Also, have any of you put on a Shelby insert instead of the one it came with? Cost difference is around $400, Shelby replicas vs. Vintage 50.

Thanks, Randy

My car has the Vintage 10-spokes with CS center caps from NPD. Had to drill out the guide holes in the caps to make them fit but it was an easy fix.

Attachments

• Wheel Caps.pdf
    404.3 KB · Views: 73

franklinair

I bought my Shelby wheels from Mustangs Unlimited, and the Shelby center caps were included as well as the lug nuts.
Be advised the Shelby wheel lug holes are somewhat countersunk - so you have to be sure the lug nuts are centered as you torque them. I failed to see this initially, and lost the left front wheel as a result - tearing up the fender as the wheel departed :-(

Last edited:

Stathy

I bought my Shelby wheels from Mustangs Unlimited, and the Shelby center caps were included as well as the lug nuts.
Be advised the Shelby wheel lug holes are somewhat countersunk - so you have to be sure the lug nuts are centered as you torque them. I failed to see this initially, and lost the left front wheel as a result - tearing up the fender as the wheel departed :-(

Wow! These are the same wheels I picked up from MU. Thanks for the warning. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way :(
Hopefully no one was hurt.

cheers

di81977

There looks to be a significant difference between the Vintage 50 and the 10 spoke shelby wheels from Branda. Branda's are licensed and built to original shelby specs.

I need a new set of wheels and like the 10 spoke but don't really want to spend the additional $600.

What do people think about these two different wheels?

Thanks
David

speedy02

Are you checking Branda's website or calling?

I bought a set of of 10 spokes from them about a month ago. The set I bought were from Carroll Shelby's wheel company in the 80's still in the box with center caps and lugs. The only thing different is they use the small lugs with the washers and the original wheel uses the long tampered lugs. When I bought them I thought he said he had another set available so you may want to call them if you are interested.

Thanks
Mike

di81977

What I am trying to understand is how much of a visual difference is there between the Vintage 50 and Branda wheels. In additional to the general price difference between the two wheels, Branda charges shipping and others (mainly CJ Pony Parts) do not.

speedy02

The difference is in the taper in the spokes. Branda makes to the spec of shelby and others do not. If you had both wheels next to each other you would see the differences.

Attachments

• V50-15x7b.JPG
    V50-15x7b.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 33
  • yhst-13525187779972_2157_29946665.jpg
    yhst-13525187779972_2157_29946665.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

franklinair

I'm not up to speed on the minute details, but they sure look nice.:smile:

Neil

Last edited:

franklinair

I bought mine thru Mustangs Unlimited: listed as Shelby 10-Spoke ('67-68). Their part number 15754, for a set of 4 including center caps & lugnuts, $999.98.

Neil

PS: Be SURE you have the tapered lugnuts properly torqued:cry:

Last edited:

di81977

I remember you posting about that, I'll bet that was quite a shock. I am pretty sure those are the Branda wheels. That was a beautiful car.

I went ahead and ordered the Vintage 50's. Too good of a deal through CJ Pony parts (tire package and free shipping). The Branda set with tires and shipping would have cost me an additional $500-600 dollars.

franklinair

It is still a beautiful car. My only regret was selling it!
I should have another one soon, now. That should remedy the 'seller's remorse' I've had.

Neil