• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Muffler/ Exhaust pipe question

HappyHour

Hey there guys...

Time to swap the mufflers on the CS (they are falling apart). Read all the threads and leaning towards Flowmaster 40 Delta or possible 50 series for reduced noise.

Per the forum Im seeing pipe size should be 2.25-2.5 inch (and some going big at 3inch you know who you are!) but Flowmaster website has it at 2 inch stock for 68 Mustang. Is this right? Im not near my car to measure. :sad:

The part# on website varies on intake/outake size and I hear you can error on a larger inch intake/outake as exhaust pipe can be spread to fit? My friend has 40's with 2.25 inch intake/outake with only 1000 miles I may pickup. Any issues?

Also will need to swap headers in the future (current ceramics are nudging p/s control valve) so should I be looking at replacing the whole exhaust system in one shot? Whats cost for this and caveats?

Thanks for any help!

Robert

robert campbell

Robert,
Can you post info on your engine specifications. Future thoughts for performance? Future thoughts on tranny and rear ends. All lends to what you do with your exhaust system.

Rob

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Hey Rob...wish I could go performance with the CS but right now keeping the 302 relatively stock with tranny and rearend as Im limited on funds.

Since Im replacing the dual mufflers with Flowmasters and probably JBA shorty headers I want to see if I should be looking at different setup on the exhaust or lots of pipe adjustment. Also size of muffler in/out size

Mustanger

Hey Rob...wish I could go performance with the CS but right now keeping the 302 relatively stock with tranny and rearend as Im limited on funds.

Since Im replacing the dual mufflers with Flowmasters and probably JBA shorty headers I want to see if I should be looking at different setup on the exhaust or lots of pipe adjustment. Also size of muffler in/out size

Robert,
It looks like you should be okay with Delta Flows and JBAs ... yeah, 2" was stock on the factory exhaust, but it was a little restictive ... also, even though you maybe on a budget, don't forget the H-pipe or X-pipe ... now go and burn rubber :thumb: ...

CougarCJ

I have, and like the Walker Dynomax mufflers on my J code Cougar. I will be installing the same set up on my GT/CS.

Two chamber 'turbo' mufflers are going to have an annoying drone at certain rpm's.

J.Bart

MUFFLERS?!?!?
WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING MUFFLERS!!!!!!!!

sorry couldn't resist

every variation of pipe size, muffler, and placement will give you a different sound.
i have mocked up exhaust before just to see what sound a muffler would have.
maybe members have some video, with sound of their cars, so you could check them out?

nfrntau

I had the Flowmaster 40 series on my car. They were too loud for me and I just recently switched to turbo mufflers. My wife rode in the car and told me it was the best $200 I ever spent on that car.

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Thanks thats what I needed. Looks like I will need to research a bit see what I have. Need to measure my current exhaust setup and see what it will take to go 2.25-2.5.

Probably soon or else I will have no stinkin mufflers!! :cheesy:

BroadwayBlue

I had the Flowmaster 40 series on my car. They were too loud for me and I just recently switched to turbo mufflers. My wife rode in the car and told me it was the best $200 I ever spent on that car.

I have them on my car now and I hear you about the noise! :rolleyes:
But have to live with it for now.

What exactly did you put in? (Turbo mufflers?).
PM if you prefer.
Thanks!

nfrntau

I just went out and checked. My mufflers are made by AP exhaust products. The type is XLerator turbo mufflers. The case size is 4 1/2" x 14" in length. They fit nicely.

Mustanger

I have them on my car now and I hear you about the noise! :rolleyes:
But have to live with it for now.

What exactly did you put in? (Turbo mufflers?).
PM if you prefer.
Thanks!

FM 40 series (2 chamber) mufflers can be loud especially if they're the original, but if you get the 40 series Delta-Flow, then these mufflers are a little quieter ... but then again, these may be a little more than some may like ... I have the stainless steel 40 series Delta Flow and I like them, but then again, I like the sound of a classic muscle car sound ... as my motorcycle friend says,"Loud pipes saves lives ..." :wink: ...

Mosesatm

FM 40 series (2 chamber) mufflers can be loud especially if they're the original, but if you get the 40 series Delta-Flow, then these mufflers are a little quieter ... but then again, these may be a little more than some may like ... I have the stainless steel 40 series Delta Flow and I like them, but then again, I like the sound of a classic muscle car sound ... as my motorcycle friend says,"Loud pipes saves lives ..." :wink: ...

I'm guessing your friend wouldn't like the South Park episode about loud motorcycles.:grin: