• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New Book release date?

Perkchiro

I PM'ed Paul about 2 weeks ago and he said that an update was coming. Nothing yet from him. $89?. I paid $200 for two books on a preorder. It seems that the older preorders should get preferential price. Late order discounts? What's that about? Just my 2 cents (again).

P

PNewitt

I was about to write an update on the progress of the book, just as this thread popped up.

This is a very intense (and beautiful!) book. All the books I do are quite comprehensive, and this one in no exception. Here is what I have for you: it is now 224 pages. I have the layouts for each page done, and I'm currently placing photos on those pages. I went the extra mile and have included a few new pages on the history of custom car culture in Los Angeles in 1967-68, and have included a few photos of street rods of that time, including a couple from Gene Winfield.

I have this massive archive here, and I'm doing this like a scrapbook, that is, I'm writing in great detail around some great things I've accumilated for you to read. There will be some pages, as you turn to them, you'll be a bit in awe of what you will see. I've kept some things "secret", so you'll be suprised.

I'm been working hard on the book. Long hours to get it right. I had to limit the research, because I was actually going too far! LOL! The stories I've come across are far reaching, and dovetail into Shelby and Mustang lines...as well as a few WWII stories. I went to the 2010 Reveal as a quick trip--but also saw the archivist at the Petersen Museum (Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills) for some photos for the book. The history of the GT/CS will forever be secure now at the Petersen, with this contact.

I thought I'd have a real problem with database for the registry, but I've worked that out, and it's no longer a problem (whew!).

I have a grand surprise for all of you when it comes to the concours restoration information....something brand new that Jeff Speegle and I have have cooked up for you. Something no other Mustang book or magazine has ever done....

The late model information is very interesting, and there are side stories that will impress you. I'm also getting a copy of the original 2007 GT/CS concept art, to show you just what they had in mind.

With all of what I'm telling you, I'm sure that you would like to know just when you can expect it. I've set the end of the year (Dec 31) as the final date for my part of getting the book done. After that time, I'll need to send it to Ford for review, and get some permission from about seven other places. To be fair to everyone (and to get this put to bed for my own sake) I'm determined to get this to the printer by Jan 15th. From that point, the printer will need 3-4 weeks to produce finished copies (from which I will pick it personally, and will mail out immediately, as signed and numbered copies).

As I said in my last mailer, if anyone is dissatisfied with waiting, I'd be happy to send a full refund immedately. As it is, and despite some of your sincere wishes otherwise (thank you) I'll have to sell my GT/CS. It's been a difficult decision, and I have a buyer. I need to do this to get the money to pay for the printing, the Ford license, and liability insurance (req. by Ford) (Who knows, maybe I'll get one of those 2010 GTs sometime later)

When you see this book, you'll know why it took so long. It's been a very long 3-4 year (plus the past 23yr.) effort, and labor of love. This book will make everyone very proud to own a GT/CS....and it will be something you can impress your friends with, and those at car shows when they ask about your CS.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Paul M. Newitt

P.S. Sure--I'll extend the $89 offer for first time buyers until Dec 31, since money is so tight these days. $79 per copy to those who would like another book, and have previously ordered; until Dec 31, 2008, too).

franklinair

Well said, well put. I've no doubt the book will be FANTASTIC when completed. As for when, I'm not too concerned. Obviously, progress is being made, and when it's done - it's done. I'm sure Paul is pouring his heart & soul into this project (not to mention time & $$$).
I pre-paid the purchase price, as did many others to help defray the ongoing expenses involved in putting this project together, and I'm honestly not concerned with any discounts, etc. If Paul INSISTS on any pre-paid discounts, just give mine to the American Cancer Society. I'm content with the cost, and I'll be happy to recieve my copies when they are ready.
Keep plugging, Paul. "All's well that ends well."

Neil

Mosesatm

So if I'm reading this correctly all those who pre-ordered can cancel their orders, get refunds, then place new orders at the lower price. Sounds like a good deal!

clubpro

I had the opportunity to have lunch with Paul the first week of November and was able to see some of the items and articles that are going into the book. No one will be disappointed when this book comes out. It will be the most comprehensive book ever done on one specific car. Paul has gone above and beyond on this project and once the book is finished and delivered it will be a must have for every CS owner no matter what the price paid. Believe me when I say it will be worth the wait.

Cheers,

Ron

Midnight Special

So if I'm reading this correctly all those who pre-ordered can cancel their orders, get refunds, then place new orders at the lower price. Sounds like a good deal!

Well if the book is as good as Ron says and it finally WILL come out - then the $100 price is already an excellent deal!

Frankly, I would look forward to the post- production appreciation verses any more pre-production hype that has often been divisive and self-serving on this site and for so long.

Although I haven't pre-paid, nor will any car I own be favorably featured, I would still gladly pay the $100 price based on the huge amount of technical and historic contributions from many of you here (as I stated 2 years ago). That's six books to go with each of my six Specials... A small price given the large investment put into these cars in the first place for such a comprehensive (and cooperative) accessory.

So.... Good luck and glad to see you may finally "make it happen". Again - the $100 price is well worth it given the huge effort in a small market.

My 2-cents only (and I don't care what back-door PMing purists think).
It's the broad and diverse range of people who have made "the car" the wonderful experience...

P

PNewitt

The offer I'm making is only until Dec 31st. I didn't mean to undermine anyone who has already paid, but to offer it to a few that may not have that extra $100 rignt now. We're officially in a recession, and a near-depression, so I was trying to help out.

I sure wish Tim would register his cars with me...I've never had his address, either (I read his comments in "not logged in" mode). I'll be happy to sell him six books, too. BTW, Tim--your cars are included on the DVD, from the first CS party at the Jewell's.

I want to add that I'm putting so much into this book, because of the respect, support and help from all of you out there. This has been a collaborative effort, and I'm going the extra mile to make it very, very special for my "adoptive family".

Happy Holidays, and thanks again to everyone!!

Paul.

Mosesatm

The offer I'm making is only until Dec 31st. I didn't mean to undermine anyone who has already paid, but to offer it to a few that may not have that extra $100 rignt now. We're officially in a recession, and a near-depression, so I was trying to help out.

I sure wish Tim would register his cars with me...I've never had his address, either (I read his comments in "not logged in" mode). I'll be happy to sell him six books, too. BTW, Tim--your cars are included on the DVD, from the first CS party at the Jewell's.

I want to add that I'm putting so much into this book, because of the respect, support and help from all of you out there. This has been a collaborative effort, and I'm going the extra mile to make it very, very special for my "adoptive family".

Happy Holidays, and thanks again to everyone!!

Paul.

Thank you for finally explaining why the price was lowered.

OP
OP
Bob G

Bob G

Release date of new book!!

Gee Guy and Gals :

I didn't mean to to say I am unhappy with waiting for this book . After reading Paul's comments on this post I am sure it will be a very collectable book for any Ford persons library, mine included.

I will most likely buy a third copy as a gift for a friend after I receive my two copies .$79.00 sounds like a deal. I was one of the first to put full payment for two copies at $100.00 each. If I receive two low numbered copies that will make me very satified.

Best wishes to all.
Bob Geco

QuarterHorse

Paul:

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that there will be quite a bit of detail regarding the late model GT/CS through 2009. This will make a very complete book. Although I'm excited and anxious to receive the book, I'm not so concerned about when I receive it. As long as we continue to receive updates, I'd rather wait a little longer and have a complete, interesting and accurate piece of literature.

BTW... the book sounds to be well worth the $100 price I paid. Please don't concern yourself with a refund to me.

Regards,

Skip

P

PNewitt

I have to admit that I've dragged my feet here and there, and I've been a little too engrossed in adding this or that. When you have people (as nice as you all are) suggesting or finding things, it "inspires" me, and if I wasn't careful, it would be a 500 page book!! Gads!!

I want to get this book wrapped up ASAP, because I have other projects to do. Since I've opened some doors at Ford, I may want to do a book on the 2010, or at least a good article on it. I really, really like this new model. It's a milestone design, and I think it will really be a big hit.

There are SO MANY Mustang stories to tell, and personal experiences that need to be told, too. A book just on those stories would be popular, too. This is a car that pulls on everyone's heartstrings, and I have been privledged to read and know of them--just in the GT/CS world.

I think that as a small Mustang community, we should realize that our collective experiences, memories and hopes and dreams are so very valuable.

I DO honor the stories that you tell me in your letters. This is a wonderful experience, that will be reflected in the book. People that are not into Mustangs or the car experience will read this book, and see the real affection for the car, and for the "special" experience of owning one.

This is important, and it's something that I think Ford has just realized--in the response to the Mustang Story contest that they did for the 2010 promotion.

Paul N.

DLedin

Thanks for the update Paul.

I'm sure this book is going to make me fall in love with my CS all over again.

-DLedin

P

PNewitt

I really appreciate your support and understanding. What I'm doing it like taking the last 30 years of my life and trying to shoehorn it into 224 pages, with a meticulous and conprehensive slant on it!

I just finished the Green Hornet story, with new photos and information. For instance, I have concluded that the GT/SC prototype car IS the Green Hornet. The GH has an August '67 build date--the same time that the SC was put together.

Next stop is finishing the 2007-09 story.

There is some serious hunkering down going on here, and I forgot what the outdoors looks like! LOL!!

Thanks again--I'll keep you posted in a more regular way from now on.

Paul.