• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Undercarriage Detail And Restoration Ideas

68MustangHCS

Hello everyone,
I'm detailing the undercarriage on one of my HCS cars. I saw a few photos posted with various stages of detail. After looking at my semi-clean undercarriage, the paint seems to be almost gray with the slight notice of the red oxide in spots. I guess my undercarriage paint has faded over the years or is covered in gray dust/grim. I plan on hand restoring it. I have the car up on jacks and will be hand washing the undercarriage a section at a time, then using steel wool to prep the surface and putting a couple coats of red oxide and black paint in the proper areas. I saw in a related post that there is a reproduced book out which details the San Jose undercarriage. I would like to get a hold of some pictures of examples to show the proper restoration. It would be nice if we had a restoration guide section listed in the left column explaining and detailing some of the proper colors, tips, and details of an original example of a GT/CS or HCS. Maybe the webmaster will put a link to an area like this. I've searched over hundereds of websites but haven't found anything like this yet except on Mustang Club website out of Bay County Florida where a Man has his 66 GT fastback with hundereds of details posted.

Thanks for any help...

P

PNewitt

WOW, Arlie.

How cool is that? Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I was looking for something like this for the book, too. I'll e-mail the author of that site.

Thanks!

Paul N.

PFSlim

The way I understood, the under side was that burn red color. Then, when the car was painted, some of the color from the car oversprayed on the bottom. Mine is all black.

Paul

Russ

I have a number of detailed photos of the underside of my CS that are posted in the Gallery. The title is Highland Green GT/CS, MCA Gold Car. I have more photos that I would be glad to send to you if you are interested. Hope this helps,

Russ

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

I think this detail information is important. After 38 years of road grime, these cars need to be detailed a couple times a century. I found that they have more info on the suspension too.

Has anyone used steel paint for the natural look or cast iron paint to represent the phosphate coating to get the look of how the suspension parts came from the factory? Is there a source for this paint?

This site has some excellent information, I'm just wondering if San Jose followed the same proceedures as the Shelby's. Here is the suspension link:

http://www.1968cobra.com/SUSPENSION.HTML

case12

Check with Russ - his car is the best example I have ever seen, all the way down to the chaulk/paint markings. Casey

70boss

that Shelby site is a nice one. Pete, the owner is a good friend of mine, he is the 68 KR guru.

I just posted my car on eBay. take a look at the undercarriage detail. It is nearly 100% factory like it came from the plant. If you can see the top of the tranny tunnell it is black...that is what the entire undercarriage looked like before I hand cleaned it. I could not believe how nice the pans look. If you look close you can see the factory bare steel part where it was attached to the assembly line. I have not touched up anything...it is just as i found under the grime and I think a thin layer of tar. Lots of elbow and machine grease was required to clean the car, but once i saw how nice it was I couldn't stop.

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=580922&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=4611471958&lk=URL

70boss

I would say that this car is completely "red-oxide" But even so, there are many areas where black seam sealer and sealant was used. This is evident by the seat belt anchor areas. Have you ever seen original front floor supports that were so nice and intact? No jacking marks or dents.

70boss

Oops..... I think you meant..."why is the tranny tunnel black"

Thats easy...I did not feel like pulling the driveshaft! It took many hours to clean what you see. To finish the job you need to pull the driveshaft, and the exhaust.

Rob

390cs68rcode

that makes sense on why the tunnel is black.

yep, I have seen a nice untouched or cleaned underside. :smile:

1968b.jpg

1968a.jpg

GTCSMustang

Yea, that makes sense. That is one incredible undercarraige. I'm calling the guy about the jet seal pictures that I still don't have for you. Maybe today.

nfrntau

Jason, a little black paint and you can make it look like 70Boss car. Of course you would have to remove the driveshaft - four bolts you know -

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
Yea, that makes sense. That is one incredible undercarraige. I'm calling the guy about the jet seal pictures that I still don't have for you. Maybe today.

I agree, I recently cleaned it a little more on the outside edges, looks even better now. :grin:

70boss

ha ha ...nice little shot. To really finish it off, I would need to pull the exhaust, and I just don't want to do it. I think most people can see what the undercarriage is like.

BTW, your car looks nice, it looks better than mine, since i have one pan that is now black from replacement.