• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Color change?

CougarCJ

I know that it is my GT/CS and I can do what I want with it....

When I believed that the car was white with black interior, I was kind of excited, now that I know it was meadowlark yellow and ivy gold interior I am kind of luke warm to taking it back to that combination.

A black interior is definitely my intention, mostly because I like black interior cars and the car came with a set of good used black seats, front and back.

Coupled with the fact that I am not a concours guy, and an impending job layoff at the end of the month. I am thinking about this just being a driver, and painting it white. I can rattle can the door jambs and most everything hidden to save some Benjamins. I have some Cougar door glass so that is covered.

Yeah, just putting the car together paying as I go seems like the best plan. Who knows, I can restore it correctly in 5 or 10 years down the road.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Thanks for the well wishes.

A person can't even count on 20 years of seniority to buffer yourself from a layoff. Actually it is a plant closure.

I believe that my plant has operated in some capacity since WWII.

somethingspecial

Do What You Like!!!!!!

When I met you at the QM show last year, you seemed to know what you wanted and determined to get it. You found a white car with black int. Great. Now, Keep it that way if that is what you like.
I have been accused of being a purist because I have a Concours car. I have always been somewhat anal since I was a kid about making sure if it was there from the factory, it should be that way now. Some have been very sly in the insults they throw my way because I don't drive it and accuse me of "Flaunting to a lesser audience" when I show it. Well, the truth be known, I choose not to drive my investment and am happy with that decision.
I have a second GT/CS that was a C code/three speed, LimeGold/Ivy Gold int. It is now Copper Metallic with black interior, 302 4V, and a four speed. It was like this when I purchased it last year. I will not be returning it back to original configuration. It will soon be upgraded to a 428PI, Why, Becuase I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Don't feel like you have to slam your car together and drive it right away, do it at your pace and do it right the first time. You will be money ahead, and don't care what others think, Follow Old Blue Eyes and "DO IT YOUR WAY". JMHO Mike

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

When I met you at the QM show last year, you seemed to know what you wanted and determined to get it. You found a white car with black int. Great. Now, Keep it that way if that is what you like.
I have been accused of being a purist because I have a Concours car. I have always been somewhat anal since I was a kid about making sure if it was there from the factory, it should be that way now. Some have been very sly in the insults they throw my way because I don't drive it and accuse me of "Flaunting to a lesser audience" when I show it. Well, the truth be known, I choose not to drive my investment and am happy with that decision.
I have a second GT/CS that was a C code/three speed, LimeGold/Ivy Gold int. It is now Copper Metallic with black interior, 302 4V, and a four speed. It was like this when I purchased it last year. I will not be returning it back to original configuration. It will soon be upgraded to a 428PI, Why, Becuase I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Don't feel like you have to slam your car together and drive it right away, do it at your pace and do it right the first time. You will be money ahead, and don't care what others think, Follow Old Blue Eyes and "DO IT YOUR WAY". JMHO Mike

Thanks Mike, this is actually my #3 play car. Many of you may have seen my R code 1969 XR7 at Knott's two years ago.
I love that car, but it really can't be used for much but showing and occasional cruising. Can't run around town with it and leave it anywhere. Not quite a trailer queen, but may as well be.
Now I need to choose between this GT/CS and my 1968 Cougar with 5 speed. I want them both. I think I need a bigger garage and wallet. LOL

robert campbell

My 67 Fastback was an ivy gold car with ivy gold interior. Very popular color back then. It is black/black now. 69 high back buckets! Lots of mods to this car. Wheel flares. no gas cap. Filler in the trunk. boss 429 hood scoop.

My wife and I always wanted a 68 GT/CS white with a black vinyl top and blacked out hood. When we got ours it was blue with a white top.

Now it is just the way we want it. white with the black top and blacked out hood.

DO IT YOUR WAY!!!!!

robert campbell

My 67 Fastback was an ivy gold car with ivy gold interior. Very popular color back then. It is black/black now. 69 high back buckets! Lots of mods to this car. Wheel flares. no gas cap. Filler in the trunk. boss 429 hood scoop.

My wife and I always wanted a 68 GT/CS white with a black vinyl top and blacked out hood. When we got ours it was blue with a white top.

Now it is just the way we want it. White with the black top and blacked out hood.

DO IT YOUR WAY!!!!!

I would love to see a pic of the 69 R code. Way back in the early 70's I worked at a gas station and one of the older guys working there had a "big block Cougar". Had stripes on the hood that said 428 CJ. Barely remmber it, but it was fast and way cool to this 17 year old boy!!

franklinair

For a driver, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Make it the way YOU want it. Period.
Mike has the best of both worlds - an absolute, perfecto show piece. And another to drive & enjoy that aspect of ownership. I've seen both of his cars: one for drooling (with envy)& one for driving (for enjoyment)!!

Neil

P.S.
If memory serves me, I once SAW that showpiece driving on the LA freeway!

somethingspecial

For a driver, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Make it the way YOU want it. Period.
Mike has the best of both worlds - an absolute, perfecto show piece. And another to drive & enjoy that aspect of ownership. I've seen both of his cars: one for drooling (with envy)& one for driving (for enjoyment)!!

Neil

P.S.
If memory serves me, I once SAW that showpiece driving on the LA freeway!

Yes Neil, you DID see that car on an L.A. freeway, and it is that trip that made me stop driving it. Almost got hit twice, it left me stranded on a Watts off ramp due to a failed fuel line clamp, and drove through a crash scene with fluids on the roadway. YUKKKKKKKKK, Took me hours to clean that mess up. I DO have to say, that was a thrill I had been waiting 23 years for. YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA Mike

GTCS95616

If you want a white GT/CS with a black interior, then just do it! But please do consider making it pearl white... ... I would kinda like seeing GT/CS in pearl white with a black interior. Maybe red stripes too!

Do what you want and if it looks cool, it will be cool!

68 special

Mine was originally white with black interior. Now it is '05 Mustang Screaming Yellow with black interior because that is what I wanted. A lot o people thought I was nuts to paint it that color but you what It's mine and I like it. So do it your way and enjoy it. Bret

tworings

CJ - I'd like to chime in with a vote for Meadowlark Yellow with black interior :grin: I think it would be great to have another Meadowlark Yellow in the area ~Lisa

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

If you want a white GT/CS with a black interior, then just do it! But please do consider making it pearl white... ... I would kinda like seeing GT/CS in pearl white with a black interior. Maybe red stripes too!

Do what you want and if it looks cool, it will be cool!

I would have to think on the pearl white, hate it on the Escalades and Lexus's. Did Joe have his painted pearl white? I bet it would look good with chrome and stainless trim to break up the monochromatic look.

Red stripes? :smile: Who sells those?

I am making a list of parts to go ahead and rebuild the front suspension. I will be using 1970 Mustang disc brakes, note to self - order 1970 outer tie rods.:wink:

Gonna have to pick up another 15/16" sway bar off of a Granada for the front end.

Midnight Special

...Here's another w/ Wimbledon White...

Attachments

• 0251e.jpg
    0251e.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 30