• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT Coupe and 68 GT/CS Diecast Model

19HCS68

Heck yes, I would buy at least two GT/CS model cars. Would have liked Candyapple Red but Royal Maroon is cool too.
At least it's RED! ;D

Gary

rjw

Alas, I am highland green with envy...But I would still take one.
Richard

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Welp, I've got some bad news and some good news. First the bad news. :( The two car's are going to be produced but, at different times. Now the good news. ;D The GT/CS is going to be produced as a 1/18th scale model "Royal Maroon" but, not until 2006. The GT Coupe will be produced in 2005 as a 1/18th scale model, color yet to be determined.

Reason for delay on GT/CS - detail. The company producing the models wants to make an actual casting in chrome of the "California Special" and "Mustang" script that will actually attach to the model rather than using paint. They also want to produce all the original GT/CS parts in fiberglass rather than diecast. This takes time. They want to make this particular model as authentic as possible. As a GT/CS owner, I can appreciate this. Besides, a little more time won't kill me. I've been trying for several years now to get any of the diecast companies to take note of the 68 Coupe in and by it's self. The GT/CS model has been an added benefit. They originally wanted just my GT. Anyhow, I will post updates as they become available. As my son has always told me "A fine wine takes time" and he should know since he works for E&J Gallo Wines.

Don :D

junkgtcs

so can you tell us who is making the cars now!! ;D and do you know the date it will be relesed cuz i may just have to pick one or 2 up! i already have all the fastback die cast cars and coupes would be nice to add to the colection of cars

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

[quote author=junkgtcs link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=15#msg7728 date=1106356141]
so can you tell us who is making the cars now!! ;D and do you know the date it will be relesed cuz i may just have to pick one or 2 up! i already have all the fastback die cast cars and coupes would be nice to add to the colection of cars
[/quote]

They have asked that I not release the name of the company at this time. They don't want to be inindated with tons of emails asking about the models. As for exact release dates don't have those yet. Once they get the pre-production models done they will be forwarding them to me to look at and then make a final decision as to actual release date for models. I'm as excited as anyone to see the final product but, as I stated earlier waiting a little bit longer won't hurt me. Heck I've waited this long no reason to get in a big hurry now. It's kinda like Grand Turismo IV, I've been waiting for 2 years for that to come out and now it's delayed until March 05. I'll keep making posts as more information becomes available.

Don

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

UPDATE:

Got a reply from my email this morning. Called and talked to company producing both cars. Program has been turned over to another rep but, is still a go with prototype models due within the next few months. They are currently working on final details for the GT and have not yet determined color. GT/CS is 60% complete on prototype model. Once they are received from their Hong Kong affiliate they will be forwarding photo's to me to review. I in-turn will be forwarding a copy of GT/CS photo to Paul to review at same time. Both models are still set to be produced as 1/18th scale with GT/CS to be Royal Maroon. Will furnish more info as I receive it. All I can say at this time is hang in there and models should be out shortly.

Don ;)

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Jason;
You'll be able to add another GT/CS 390 to your already growing stable of big blocks.

Don ;D

390cs68rcode

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=15#msg12459 date=1121289166]
Jason;
You'll be able to add another GT/CS 390 to your already growing stable of big blocks.

Don ;D
[/quote]

351 Winsors are not big blocks are they? I am going to buy a regular 69 Grande to drive when it rains soon. I really like driving these cars but hate when it rains cause I can't drive one of my nice cars.

are we sure the CS model is a big block? does it have dual exhausts? 8)

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Jason;
Do you not have a GT/CS Gulfstream Aqua 390?
If so that should be a big block. The diecast models will be big blocks - 390, with dual exhaust tips. That's why they took pictures of both my cars - because they were 390 cars and that's what they wanted. How'd the 351 get in here anyway?

Don :D

390cs68rcode

yep the Aqua one is a 390. Was just adding that I might be getting another big block (351W) to add to my collection although thinking about it I am pretty sure a 351 is not a big block.

case12

There are two 351 engines. The 351W (for Windsor) is a small block with a lot of power and torque. The 351C (for Cleavland) is a big block and has some pretty big and unique heads on it. I have a 351W in my 66 convertible - it is the biggest engine that will fit between the shock towers without cutting them out. I can burn the tires until they pop (and with a simple C4 automatic). Of course, in 67 the engine bay was widened to accept the larger block engines. 351W was introduced in 69 (and I think the 351C was introduce dthat year too). So, a 351W would not be found in a 68 stock car (someone double check my history on that statement - but I am pretty sure of it). 351Ws are very popular because they easily drop in and have lots of after market parts. They were sorta the 5.0s of their time. Casey

390cs68rcode

from that link above it states the Cleveland is a small block

The 351 Cleveland, on the other hand, belongs to Ford's 335 engine family. This thin-wall cast BIG SMALL BLOCK uses the smaller 14mm spark plugs, has a separate front cover (bolted to the block) housing the timing chain and routing water - so that water does not go through the intake manifold, features beefy main caps (wide enough to drill for 4-bolt mains), a poor oiling system, and uses different heads for 2V & 4V versions

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

News to me that a 351 Windsor or Cleveland is considered a big block. They are both small block engines. From what I've been told in the past the Windsor is the better of the 2 engines. Beefier bottom end.

Don 8)

Mustanger

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=30#msg12486 date=1121354238]
News to me that a 351 Windsor or Cleveland is considered a big block. They are both small block engines. From what I've been told in the past the Windsor is the better of the 2 engines. Beefier bottom end.

Don 8)
[/quote]

There's some debate on the Windsor vs. the Cleveland. Most would agree that in stock factory configuration, the Cleveland is the engine of choice when it comes to performance (even the 2V version has valves that rival the Chevy 350 valves, the 4V version is even bigger). The Cleveland is a higher rpm type of engine (those deep-breathing heads are the ticket), while the Windsor may be a little better with torque at lower rpm's, which may be better for street applications.

All the racers loved the Cleveland back in its hey-day (early '70's), plus it was the Cleveland heads that were used on the Boss 302. But the Windsor today does enjoy a plethora of "go-fast" goodies brought about by the 5.0 crowd in the late '80's thru the present.

Small block or Big block: most would call it Small Block, although it's really in the middle and so many have called it a "Medium" block ...

Then there's the Aussie "Clevor" - half Cleveland, half Windsor ... ::)

case12

Here is a summary explanation of the two. I guess I always thought the 351C was a big block - but here they are calling it a "big small block", whatever that is.... :). And, sorry Don for pulling us so far off topic. :-[ Casey

Now a Ford 351 Windsor is really a slightly enlarged Ford 289/302, as it's name implies it comes from Fords "Windsor" engine family (a.k.a. the 90-degree V engine family). The thin-wall cast SMALL BLOCK accepts regular sized spark plugs, uses a timing chain in the block, routes water through the intake manifold, features thin main-bearing caps, a very good oiling system, and uses the same heads for 2V & 4V versions. The heads are are small, utilizing in-line valves with relatively small ports. The valves are 1.78" intake and 1.54" exhaust, i.e. the same size as a 289/302. The valve covers are straight (front to rear), attached by 5 bolts, and when removed you can see 351 cast in the lifter valley. The small side-by side (in-line) valves are the dead give-away.

The Ford 351 Cleveland, on the other hand, belongs to Ford's 335 engine family. This thin-wall cast BIG SMALL BLOCK uses the smaller 14mm spark plugs, has a separate front cover (bolted to the block) housing the timing chain and routing water - so that water does not go through the intake manifold, features beefy main caps (wide enough to drill for 4-bolt mains), a poor oiling system, and uses different heads for 2V & 4V versions. The heads make all the difference and these fire breathing babies make this motor the legend it is. On the 4V, the valves are HUGE, measuring 2.19" intake and 1.7n" exhaust. Valves this large are only possible via a canted valve arrangement, forming what Ford refers to as a "poly-angle" combustion chamber. The valve covers are not straight - the front is flat and parallel to the ground, but a curve twists the rear parallel to the head. They are attached by 8-bolts and when removed, there is a 4 cast into the corner of the 4V and a 2 cast into the corner of the 2V (at least in 1970). The canted valves are the dead giveaway.

nfrntau

The 351 Cleavland with the 4bbl heads is the engine I had in my Falcon. For low end torque and easing off the line it wasn't that great of an engine. The flip side of that is when you passed 3,000 rpm it came alive.
For the person who wants good torque and a responsive streetable daily driver the 351 Windsor would be the engine of choice.

The 351W was released in 1969 and was the standard engine for the Mach 1.
The 351C was released in 1970 and stopped production in 1974. It then switched to a M designation, due to smog restrictions they changed and detuned the engine calling it a Modified.
All years having the 4bbl heads will have the 4 in the corner allthough the 70 and some 71 models had the quench style heads giving much higher compression.
The Boss 302 heads were essentially the same size as the Cleavland 2 bbl heads and the 351-M and later the 400 used the 2bbl heads.
The easiest way to tell the two engines apart W verses C is to count the valve cover bolts. 351W have 6 and 351C have 8

On a side note all Pantera's were fitted with a 351 Cleavland.

Mustanger

... Apart from the heads being used on the BOSS 302, the 351C 4V is the power plant used in the BOSS 351, and in the famous exotic sports car, the DeTomaso Pantera. :)

Not to forget, in '69, the MACH 1 had a 351W 2V and 4V offered, and in the '70 MACH 1, Ford introduced the 351C 2V and 4V (although they still offered the 351W 2V as the base MACH 1 power plant). ;D

We should get back to the die cast model topic, sorry for digressing ... ;)

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Makes for an interesting thread. Some good information being passed out. Besides, it will be awhile before the models are ready to be produced. I know when I bought my 1st Mach I back in 70 on my way to Nellis AFB from Vietnam, they tried to sell me a base car with the 351 and 4 speed. Having done some research through the Base PX before I left for the states, I noticed the 428 CJ w/ram air. Guess which one I opted for. Needless to say, wish I still had that car today. :'( Water under the bridge.

Don 8)