• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Running Horse Emblem Standard on GT/CS

68gt390

I'm curious as to what site members think of this one. Am looking at a GT/CS that is for sale that has the "running horse emblem" on it and owner says that was standard on the GT/CS according to Paul's 1988 recognition Guide and Owners Manual. The only reference I can find to the running horse emblem being on a GT/CS is the prototype GT/SC cars that were made with no "California Special" script on page 7 and a picture of one of the GT/SC cars on page 10. Anyone have any knowledge of a GT/CS that was produced from the factory with the running horse emblem on it? Owner also states the car is in Paul's 1988 Registry. I can't find it in either book. VIN: 8R01C151741. Curiosity is killing me on this one.

Don

Mosesatm

I'm looking at a dealer brochure of a red GT/CS with the open scoops and no quarter panel script and it does not have a running horse.

Do you suppose the seller is just uninformed or trying to make excuses for the problems so no one will find out the truth?

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Arlie;
For some reason I seem to remember other threads we've all talked about in regards to the running horse emblem and that it was not produced on the GT/CS but, for a moment I thought maybe old age had really crept up on me. :eek:

We must be looking at the same dealer brochure because mine is the same red with no script.

Don

P

PNewitt

I'm assuming that you're talking about the fender emblem?

The only places that the Running Horse appears on the GT/CS is on the dash emblem (std. in red, and dlx in the round emblem); the high beam light indicator on the instrument panel, and the gas cap. There was NO running horse emblem (nor are there any holes for it) on the fenders--only the "Mustang" script.

The reason that the prototype has fender emblems, is that it was known then as the "Mustang GT/Sport Coupe" (GT/SC), and the California part of it hadn't happened yet. That car also has '67 Shelby type click pins on the hood.

The brochure CS doesn't have the rear script, because it was a last-minute decision, based on a disagreement between the stylists in Dearborn, and the dealers in California. Dearborn relented, but told then that only had two weeks to make them for the Feb 15th show. So, this car photographed in the brochure was photographed sometime just previous to Feb 1st. Note tho' that it has the late rear reflectors--a presumption that this was going to be a production change. More on this later...

Paul N.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Thanks Paul. I didn't think I was loosing my mind. I thought it strange when this person quoted your 1988 book as stating all CS's were produced with the running horse emblem on the front fenders and they referenced the picture on page #10.

Anyway you would know if this person had previously submitted info to you to get this car registered with the registry? She has stated that the information was sent to you but, too late to make it into either of the books. VIN: 8R01C151741.

Don

PFSlim

There you go. I remember Paul N. addressing this once before as well. Nice job on providing the goods again Paul.

Paul

Diesel Donna

I have a running horse in the center of my steering wheel pad.....the pony and bars.

~~~~Donna

admin

Staff member
Administrator
390cs68rcode said:
translation please. :tongue:
I think Paul was just agreeing that there is indeed a 4th location for the running horse; on the steering wheel pad center emblem.

Diesel Donna

Welllll...it just means that I am not just beautiful..I am smart too! :icon_heyb LOL!!

~~~~Donna :rofl: