• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Water pump ?????

66hcs-conv

Hi gang,

1966, 289, 2V, C4 auto.

Occasionaly, at start up, I am getting a grinding/whirring sound. I shut the engine off, get out & wiggle the fan spacer where it attaches to the fan blade, restart, and noise is gone. I have not tried shutting engine off and restarting w/out the wiggle procedure. The fan bolts (through the spacer into the water pump) are tight.

I have about 1/8 - 3/16 play (up & down/side to side) at the fan spacer where it attaches to the fan blade - the part that is closest to the radiator.

I need your expertise and advice.

I got no problem replacing the pump, but don't want to spend $$ unless I need to. On the other hand, I don't want to be stranded 'cause the pump has failed.

Thanks for any help & advice. Dave

franklinair

From your description, it sounds like the water pump bushing is worn. No leak?
There should be NO wobble associated with the water pump, spacer, or fanblade.

Neil

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Thanks Neil.

Started to change water pump, and having a hard time getting the little short 90 degree hose off. The one that connects the pump to the t-stat housing.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Midnight Special

Thanks Neil.

Started to change water pump, and having a hard time getting the little short 90 degree hose off. The one that connects the pump to the t-stat housing.

Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

...Probably the same "wiggle" procedure, but more vigorous ;-)

Actually - you may consider cutting it off and replacing it along with the pump. It's likely stuck because of various deposits combined with an old & brittle hose. 'Just a little more (inexpensive) assurance :)

Ruppstang

I changed the water pump in our 68 fastback today. I few weeks ago I started it up and the pump was making a lot of noise and the it quit ans has not done it since. Well I can't quit thinking about it and how I real did not want to change it along the road in western Wyoming on our way to the Washington state MCA grand national. When I was taking everything apart I noticed everything was coated in oil so I went ahead and pulled the timing cover and replaced the front main seal. Tomarrow clean everything up and start putting it all back together. It may have not need to be done but I have all ways belived that old saying a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Marty

franklinair

That small 90 degree hose will fight you coming off. As Tim said- cut it & toss it. You'll also find that the new hose will need a little 'encouragement' to go on.
When you get the new hose you may find that one end is a little longer. You'll have to shorten one end so it won't kink when you slide it into place. Also, have the 2 clamps already on the hose (loose of course) when installing.

Neil

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Small hose: I kept the clamp tight on pump side and loosened the one on the
t-stat housing, and when I slid the pump off the little hose came with it!

One in a row - something went right!

THANKS for all the help - you guys are the best.:smile:

Dave