• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Is this the correct side view mirror?

DLedin

The auction shows a different style than what I have. Don't know if more than one style was available. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I will respond.

Here are a couple of angles of my passenger side mirror which is the same style as the driver side:

mirror01.jpg

mirror02.jpg

-DLedin

rvrtrash

That one is a later (1974-75) replacement for a '67-'68 Galaxie. If it was correct for a Mustang, the part number would end in a "B".

Steve

hookedtrout

I could be mistaken but the mirror on my CS is just like the ebay mirror, the first ebay.

hookedtrout

Here you go, non remote, not factory correct, made by Drake to mirror (pun intended) the remote so you can have a matched passenger mirror. Apparently they didn't put many on the passenger side and they didn't put any remote mirrors and someone along the way wanted a passenger mirror but wanted it to match the remote so they made one up for that market.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=674402+01

hookedtrout

I guess someone could also just mount a remote mirror without the cable etc so they matched? No? No idea if the NOS Shelby/Mustang mirror that looks like the remote style is the real deal or one of the Drake mirrors?

Ruppstang

Ford had two mirror styles. The first a non remote that was used on both sides. The second a remote model and a RH companion mirror. The RH mirror of either was not a popular option. I have a Ford RH companion Mirror for the HCS same as the ebay mirror. Marty

rvrtrash

I still don't believe this is the correct mirror. It may LOOK like the correct mirror, but the part number is D4AZ-17696-A, which my master parts book says is a replacement for a Galaxie. If it was a replacement for a Mustang it would be 17696-B. I would guess that the base is shaped/angled for a full size door instead of a Mustang door. Look at the early '70's "racing" mirrors. They all look the same in pictures but each one is made to fit the car it's intended for, and it won't fit right on another body. OK, I'm done now.

Steve

dalorzo_f

The original post's link looks like the typical service replacement part commonly available (but getting harder to find) for the non-remote standard unit.

hookedtrout

I still don't believe this is the correct mirror. It may LOOK like the correct mirror, but the part number is D4AZ-17696-A, which my master parts book says is a replacement for a Galaxie. If it was a replacement for a Mustang it would be 17696-B. I would guess that the base is shaped/angled for a full size door instead of a Mustang door. Look at the early '70's "racing" mirrors. They all look the same in pictures but each one is made to fit the car it's intended for, and it won't fit right on another body. OK, I'm done now.

Steve

You're probably right Steve, all of my comments were based on looks not parts numbers so it looks like mine but may have differences based on it being the wrong part number.

Ruppstang

I did not mean the first one on ebay but the C7AB-17743-B
Ithought it was interesting that it was provided a plastic base so it could be RH or LH mounted. Marty