• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Tank metal cleaning

Ruppstang

I decided to try tank metal strip-cleaning on our HCS hood because it had surface rust in side the structure where media blasting could not reach. I was pleased it removed 98% of the paint and all of the rust. It cost $65. When I have hand striped them it took all day and did nothing to the rust. I may do the doors too. Marty

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 40

franklinair

To further treat the concealed areas for rust prevention, I've used OSPHO (available @ NAPA or Ace Hardware), a mild Phosphoric acid rust neutralizer. I laid the hood flat, poured the solution onto the surface and 'rolled' the hood around to slosh the liquid over the entire surface. It gets under the structure and coats/protects the metal. Drain off the excess, let the hood air dry. It will even protect bare, unpainted metal for quite a while. Prior to prime/paint, lightly sand surfaces & wipe down with solvent.

Neil