• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Carb swap from Holley back to correct 2100

dalorzo_f

Pros/Cons?

Car runs fine with the Holley, but have a correct -G and am considering swapping it out... Have heard the -G had some faults, but that's from Pony carbs and according to them no one ever made a good running carb! :wink:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Have heard the -G had some faults, but that's from Pony carbs and according to them no one ever made a good running carb! :wink:
Really, I've always heard Pony Carbs say that the 2100 was the best carb ever made... period. This was from the owner Jon while he gave a tuning demonstration at a MCA show.

I'm certainly no expert, but have always had good luck with the 2100, both on my Mustang and 72 Bronco, which sees a lot of severe angle off-road conditions. I never have carb problems with it.

Ruppstang

For my money the 2100 and 4100 were the two best carbs ever made. I have had a 4100 on the fastback for 12 years with no problems.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

2100 " 1968 289 (C8ZF-G) does have several engineering problems which we do correct (hesitation, flat spots and surging on acceleration)." This is the carb used on most Cal Specials, as far as my research could tell...

4100 "There are several subtle engineering changes that we do to this carburetor to make the secondaries perform even better "

4300 "From day-one they all had engineering problems. In driveability those problems amounted to hesitations and flat spots on light acceleration, a big bog on hard acceleration, and hard starting when hot."

4350 "The Motorcraft 4350 was first introduced in 1975 and was only used on the 460 V8 engines. It has some chronic design problems which we do correct"

4150 " Many of the Holley carburetors had engineering problems....In driveability these amount to hesitation and flat spots on acceleration and hard starting when hot. Problem carburetors include 1967 and 1968 390 GT" Driven my '68 390 since '91, never seen any of these issues with my Holley.

Carter "Carters are pretty good carburetors by design, but they do suffer from a weak accelerator pump design,"

Quadrajet "They all had hesitations and flat spot on acceleration, a big bog on hard acceleration and hard starting when hot." (I owned a 70 Cutlass for a decade with a QJ, never had any of the problems noted and never had to touch it)

So no carb manufacturers ever got it right! But Pony's bread and butter is convincing folks to "fix" carbs.

Have known a few folks who paid the $$$$$ Pony wants and were not satisfied, not much improvement from OEM, the reply "you messed it up, not us"...

But more to the point has anyone swapped from a Holley back to the 2100 and have a "real world" comparison?

franklinair

I opted for aftermarket Edelbrock 600CFM/electric choke. Totally satisfied.

Neil

franklinair

No. Edelbrock Performer 4BBL intake w/Edelbrock 600CFM carb. Easy install & setup. Smooth operation & improved accelleration. Arlie's suggestion of enlarging the ports is also a really good idea if you want even more improvement.

Neil

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

[/quote]No. Edelbrock Performer 4BBL intake w/Edelbrock 600CFM carb. [/quote]

That's what I figured, you've missed the point of my post. I'm asking about going from a replacement 2 barrel Holley, back to the correct 2 barrel Autolite 2100 on a C code... really not interested in swapping intakes... have two S codes and a few spare 4v Holleys but that's the "other" cars...