• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

light switch

Powell

I've got another question about head light switches...My CS has a problem when I use the brake lights for a long period of time with the head
lights on at the same time. The tail lights go on and off but I can hear the circuit breaking in the light switch.

Does anyone out there know if there was a different light switch for the cal special than the standard mustang?

Ralph

68sunlitgold

Ralph,
No there isn't, that is actually the problem becuase the CS taillights use alot more current to operate. Have you tried to clean all the connections in the tail lighs, ie the bulb connections and the ground wire for each light (right and left). This will usually solve the problem of dimming or blinking lights.

Doug

Jayscal

Ralph,

The headlight switches for the GT/CS are the same as the ones that were put in the standard '68 Mustangs. They are available through different Mustang catalogs for about $25.00. It probably would be a good idea to replace your headlight switch if you can hear the circuit breaking, the next thing to happen is the headlights will go off until the circuit cools, then they will come back on. This always seems to happen on a dark curvy road, $25.00 is cheap insurance to prevent the worst case situation.

On page 4 of this forum, I did a write up on tail light repair. I had problems with my taillights also, so I took them apart and ran separate ground wires to each of the bulb sockets. It's not hard to do, a Saturday afternoon some wire and solder, and your electrical problems will be solved once and for all.

rjw

Jay,
Thanks for reminding me of your post on page 4. I had to leave the show the other night in the rain with no taillights and no brake lights! Needless to say, this project is in short order for me.
rjw

OP
OP
Powell

Powell

I want to thank you guys for the imput on the light switch. I believe that I have solved the brake light, tail light intermitent stopage. It came down to the headlight switch which several of you suggested. The switch was replaced about 5 years ago and looked perfect. However the new one has solved the problem...Thank you...Thank you ...Thank you. It is great to have this resource to be able to gather others ideas.

Ralph