• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

tail light panel question

68 special

When I took my tail light panel off of my car, it had rivets across the bottom and screws on top. I'm taking my car in for paint and wanted to replace the rivets. The question is are rivets correct or should it have screws?

Thanks Bret

rvrtrash

Mine was all screws. (52K car, parked since '79 when I got it.)

Steve

somethingspecial

Bret, The taillight panel is held on with wide head sheet metal screws similar to interior screws. You can find them at most auto part stores, they have black oxide finish and stainless. Use the stainless. The screws are made by "Balkamp" and I found them in the local Napa Auto Parts store with part #s:
665-1929 for the Stainless Phillips Round Washer Hd. tapping screws
#8x5/8 in.
665-2075 for the Black Oxide Phillips Round Washer Hd. Tapping Screws
#10x3/4 in.

Not sure if these #s are Balkamp or Napa #s. I gave you both screw sizes as original screws I believe were #8, but if the holes are stripped out, or oversize because of rivets, you may have to go to #10s.

Hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

Thanks Steve and Mike, I'll go check the local napa.

Bret

nates68

Bret, Someone Took A Short Cut Using Rivets. Screws Are Correct.

Nates68

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

This brings up another question. Are screws also used on the endcaps?
Thanks for all the info.

Bret

PFSlim

Arlie is right. There are long threaded studs that can be accessed in the trunk. No screws, just two studs.

Paul

Mosesatm

What about the tail light bezel? Mine had a odd looking screws.

The screw on the left is correct. The screw on the right is NPD's replacement.

The outer ones should be chrome or stainless and the inner ones should be black.

Attachments

• Taillight Screws NPD DSCN3869.JPG
    Taillight Screws NPD DSCN3869.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 19

somethingspecial

The end caps are secured to the qtr. panel by way of three studs which screw into the end cap, and are fastened inside the trunk with a rubber inserted washer and hex nut. One screw, the same as the taillight panel screws, is used on the long tail at the bottom of the end cap. This is covered by the rear bumper. Mike

Mosesatm

The end caps are secured to the qtr. panel by way of three studs which screw into the end cap, and are fastened inside the trunk with a rubber inserted washer and hex nut. One screw, the same as the taillight panel screws, is used on the long tail at the bottom of the end cap. This is covered by the rear bumper. Mike

Ah yes, that's right. Forgot about that screw at the bottom.