• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2008 gt upfitters package

J.Bart

has anyone seen what the upfitters package looks like? it sounds like it is a package that shelby gt's get before they are shipped to shelby. my question is : do they look like a cs ie: side scoops front facia etc.

BroadwayBlue

Hey JBart,

From what I have read that's exactly what it is.
It's an option that is added on white and black GTs that are destined to be sent to Shelby to become Shelby GTs

Here is what I've seen as the package...
It doesn't say it here but I thought it also included the spoiler and floormat delete.

54U Package -
Ford Content at Mustang Plant
•GT/CS Based (fascias, side scoops)
•18”wheels-White Exterior
gets (64W) Polished
Aluminum & Black Exterior gets , NEW Black
Aluminum wheels
•Side airbags
•Tire inflator kit (ilospare)
•Bright aluminum pedals

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

have you seen a mustang with this option? do they have the side scoops?
the reason i ask is that i have been online at the ford website.
i have been looking at mustangs to see what is on the lots, and what options they have. i have seen several mustangs with this option, they don't have the cs option. so i am wondering if they look like a cs. these are mustangs that are sitting on dealer lots, these wouldn't be going to shelby.
so why would they have the option?

BroadwayBlue

have you seen a mustang with this option? do they have the side scoops?
the reason i ask is that i have been online at the ford website.
i have been looking at mustangs to see what is on the lots, and what options they have. i have seen several mustangs with this option, they don't have the cs option. so i am wondering if they look like a cs. these are mustangs that are sitting on dealer lots, these wouldn't be going to shelby.
so why would they have the option?

According to other Mustang Forums the posts there have indicated that these cars are on Dealer lots awaiting shipment to Shelby to become Shelby GTs. If you notice it's only on Black and White cars. Also you will notice it tells you only about what happens if it is a white or black exterior.
"18”wheels-White Exterior gets (64W) Polished Aluminum &
Black Exterior gets , NEW Black Aluminum wheels"

You can't get this as a stand-alone option as far as I know.

Someone from another forum actually called a dealer after searching inventory on the Ford website and they told them sorry it was heading to Shelby for the conversion.
It's the Ford factory add-ons before it goes to Shelby for the rest.

If you go to Google and enter "upfitters package" a bunch of sites discussing it come up.

I'm just going off the info I have found online at Edmunds, Forums, etc...

Some forums thought it was possible that they are starting to offer this for 2008 on cars other than Shelby GTs but I don't think so since you can't build a 2008 Mustang and choose this option.
They thought that because it was on a Vista Blue Mustang but the new Shelby GT convertible is offered in Vista Blue.

Last edited:

Perkchiro

Here's a pic of the Shelby GT. It looks like they "borrowed" the CS front fascia for this upfit package.

Attachments

• Shelby GT.jpg
    Shelby GT.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 21

Perkchiro

From what I understand, the Shelby GT's are sent directly to the Shelby plant in Las Vegas from their production origin in Flat Rock, MI. In edition to the front grille, side scoops, front chin spoiler and hood scoop and stripe package, it rides about 1 1/2 inches lower than a standard GT. This is due to the special suspension package they use. They also swap out the rear end to make better rear end gearing. There's also a upgraded computer program to make better horses. A cold air induction is also used from Ford Racing. It makes close to 330 hp. Nice package for around 35K.

BroadwayBlue

From what I understand, the Shelby GT's are sent directly to the Shelby plant in Las Vegas from their production origin in Flat Rock, MI. ...

That's what I thought too Steve.
So not sure why they show up in dealer inventory online.
Unless they aren't physically at the dealer yet but it is part of their allotment that's coming.

Again I'm basing this on experiences people have posted at other forums.

I never was crazy about the Shelby-GT but I have to admit the new droptop in Vista Blue is nice

BroadwayBlue

OK I have a message into my Ford salesman.

He already thinks I'm nuts so that's OK. I keep buying cars from him ever few years so hopefully he'll humor me.

His dealer has a 2008 Vista Blue GT Convertible with the Upfitters package when I search inventory from the Ford site. Sounds like it's destined to a Shelby GT to me but why is it on their inventory?

So I asked him what's the deal and whether or not it's going to Shelby, already back, even planned to go to Shelby? etc ...

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Perkchiro

Rich, I've been looking at Shelby's for a possible purchase. (Haven't pulled the trigger yet). I have found a few cars that are cloned with up fit packages by dealers or used car dealers. The Shelby GT's are actually "Shelby's", with Shelby dash placards and I believe a sequence number from Shelby. I've read that Shelby actually swaps the whole rear end out of the cars at the plant in Las Vegas. I bet there will be a lot of aftermarket Shelby "add ons" in the future. Heck, I've even wondered about just buying a regular GT and adding the suspension goodies and body kit to make it look like a Roush or Shelby. Haven't crunched the numbers on that project yet.

BroadwayBlue

I have found a few cars that are cloned with up fit packages by dealers or used car dealers.

I know what you mean here and I recently read an article on how all the new Shelby models are built and what the process is. Plaques vs VIN and who gets what.

I am by no means arguing because I don't know if these cars are on dealer lots and I don't think the process is different thatn you described. I'm curious though...

This option is showing up on the Ford Factory window sticker from the factory right in the middle of everything else. Not a dealer add-on. So that's what is confusing.

It also seems to be only on Vista Blue 2008 cars which I thought is the Shelby GT color this year and in 2007 it was only on White and Black cars - again which I thought were the only Shelby GT colors last year

It's not a dealer added sticker it's the Ford Factory sticker so that's why I'm curious why if that option is only available on a Shelby GT is it on a window sticker of something that's supposed to be on a dealer lot?

I can't remember the forum now but someone else noticed the same thing and called another dealer and they told them it's going to Shelby to be converted to a GT. Doesn't mean it's on their lot. Maybe it's going to end up at the dealer after conversion or already is there post conversion but shows up in inventory as a Premium GT with the upfitter option. Maybe what the dealer meant is it's going to Shelby but went straight from the factory and didn't go to the dealer first. I don't know.

I looked at the dealers in my area and only the Vista Blue's had this option.
At one dealer which advertises they specialize in Mustangs ... they have about 5 Vista Blue cars - all with the GT Upfitter package but one and that one window sticker looks screwy. All other colors don't have it. They're 2007 White GT Premium also has the option but no other colors have it for 2007.

I'm just thinking that it's the way the Shelby GTs are getting interpreted or put into the system and showing up in inventory. I don't think it's that the dealer is neccessarily getting the car and shipping it out. That would add even more cost so the car (ship it from Dearborn to the dealer, dealer to Shelby, Shelby back to Dealer ... ka-ching!)

See the attached sticker for what I mean as far as it being an option on the Ford Factory Window sticker.

Attachments

• Mustang Sticker 1.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Here we go... I found a place on the Shelbyautos.com site to check VIN status if a Shelby GT.

I put in the VIN number from the window sticker above and it returned this...

Shelby GT VIN Search
VIN: 1ZVHT85H885129087
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Conv 5speed
Color: Vista Blue

*Please note that we can't give you a ship date to your dealer
as this information has not yet been determined.

So for some reason even though it's on it's way to Shelby, it appears they show up in dealer inventory as regular Premium GTs prior to getting to the dealer as Shelby GTs after the conversion or always show that way since the 2007 is showing the same thing.

I checked the 2007 I found and it says this...

VIN: 1ZVHT82H675360301
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang Coupe 5speed
Color: Performance White

*Note: If you're taking advantage of our museum delivery program

I would hope this one is done by now and on the lot! :smile:

So I think it's just the way it displays on the Ford site for Shelby GTs.
The GT 500's do show up as Shelby Coupes though.

Back to the point of the thread I think we can conclude that the upfitter package is not available from the factory as a stand-alone option and is only part of the Shelby GT package. (dealer and aftermarket add-ons aside)

your car has not been shipped to your dealer. Please call 702-942-7325.

Or it could be I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about! :grin:

p.s. I'm tired of typing now!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J.Bart

so i guess if it has the upfitters package then it is, or will be a shelby gt.

Perkchiro

Ok, I'm confused. I think the upfit package in the above post is for a Mustang GT, not a Shelby GT. Here's the window sticker from an ebay listed Shelby GT currently for sale. See the Shelby parts list (hopefully visible). In O7, the only colors for the Shelby GT's were Black or White and all coupes with 4.6 liter engines and manual transmissions. Other Shelby's like the GT 500 were in different colors and convertible styles.

Attachments

• Shelby Window Sticker.jpg
    Shelby Window Sticker.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Shelby GT Sticker.jpg
    Shelby GT Sticker.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 20

BroadwayBlue

Ok, I'm confused. I think the upfit package in the above post is for a Mustang GT, not a Shelby GT. Here's the window sticker from an ebay listed Shelby GT currently for sale. See the Shelby parts list (hopefully visible). In O7, the only colors for the Shelby GT's were Black or White and all coupes with 4.6 liter engines and manual transmissions. Other Shelby's like the GT 500 were in different colors and convertible styles.

Hi Steve,
I think we're all confused :grin:
I'm not even sure what we're disagreeing on anymore of if we even are disagreeing! :rofl:

That post of the window sticker I posted was for a Mustang GT Premium I didn't mean to say it wasn't It's a Mustang GT that is destined to become a Shelby GT.

I believe that all Shelby GTs start as Mustang GT Premiums with the Upfitter package and these would be the only Mustang GTs have the upfitter package on them.

If you could see that Ford sticker to the right of your photo my guess is that it has the Upfitters package listed on it.

So I think Ford adds the upfitter to all Mustang GTs going to Shelby for conversion so that's why it's on the sticker from the Ford factory.

I'm also guessing that Ford generates a window sticker as Mustang GT Premium.

I believe that the upfitter package is a "pre-conversion" step that Ford is doing at the factory prior to the car going to Shelby for full conversion to a Shelby GT.

Therefore the base cost of a Mustang GT that is destined to become a Shelby GT includes the $2100 of the upfitter package.

But it is listed on both stickers - the Ford and the Shelby sticker but that 54U is actually done at the Ford factory not at Shelby

Maybe I'm confusing you more.

So in summary this is what I think...

Upfitters package is not available on a Mustang GT as a stand alone option. (the original question posted)

Upfitters package is only added to Mustang GT Premiums that will be sent to Shelby for Shelby GT conversion. It is part of the Shelby GT package

The upfitter package is added at the Ford Factory before being shipped to Shelby

The Upfitter is listed on both the Ford and Shelby stickers. The price of the upfitter package is added to the base price of the Mustang GT that will be converted to a Shelby GT. (A way for Ford to get a few extra dollars on the conversion maybe?)

The upfitter package is not added to Shelby GT500 cars only Shelby GTs which is why we only see it on Black and White in 2007 and Vista Blue in 2008.

I did read that it's possible they are added to Roush cars as well but not Saleens
(but I don't want to confuse things more)

Last edited:

Perkchiro

OH NO Rich, I'm not at all in disagreement with you. I'm trying to understand what happens with the process of a regular GT becoming a Shelby GT. So, I guess part of the upfit package starts with Ford and the rest of the up fit package from Shelby is completed in Las Vegas? I'm thinking that all Shelby GT's start as GT Premiums? What constitutes that particular package? It's all nit picky by me I know, but I'm really interested since I've been looking at them for purchase. I'm wondering if the Shelby GT package is really worth the money, or if getting a regular GT and retrofitting would be cheaper. Thanks for the explanation Rich. I think were on the same page.

aemoo28

I had the choice between the '08 black CS and the '07 black Shelby 350-H. I choose the Cali, of course, but not because it was $7K cheaper. If I buy a Shelby it will be a 500. I liked the rareness of this Cali, and I liked this website and its active participants! Let me tell you- I saw this website and it did sway my decision. Let's see if I can upload the photo I took of the front of both cars together...

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Mustang pics

BroadwayBlue

OH NO Rich, I'm not at all in disagreement with you. I'm trying to understand what happens with the process of a regular GT becoming a Shelby GT. So, I guess part of the upfit package starts with Ford and the rest of the up fit package from Shelby is completed in Las Vegas? I'm thinking that all Shelby GT's start as GT Premiums? What constitutes that particular package? It's all nit picky by me I know, but I'm really interested since I've been looking at them for purchase. I'm wondering if the Shelby GT package is really worth the money, or if getting a regular GT and retrofitting would be cheaper. Thanks for the explanation Rich. I think were on the same page.

I hear you :smile:

I'm not sure if my explanation is 100% correct but that was my take based on what I read and saw.

There was an article in this months Mustang and Ford Trader that gave the run down on how each of the new Shelby's were produced and what was added to each etc ... I'll dig that up and see if that tells us anything.

I'm not sure which way I would go GT modified or start with the Shelby.
In my mind ... if I went Shelby I think I'd shoot for the GT500 but that's not happening anytime soon for me so I can say I'd for a Super Snake or 500KR for that matter :grin:
Wonder which would hold 2 child car seats better?

If I was buying I'd probably be in the Cal Spec vs Shelby GT camp.

Glad we got this one all straightened out LOL!

BroadwayBlue

here is the article on the new Shelbys that was in Mustang and Ford Trader.
I had to reduce the size to upload it ... if someone is having trouble reading it ... PM me your email and I'll send it to you the larger version.

Attachments

• Guide to the New Shelbys 2.pdf
    314.3 KB · Views: 35