• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 replacement water pump

green56

is it safe to put a 302 water pump on a 289 would it move more water not faster the number is C80E-D or should i just put in a 289 water pump? any help would do thanks everbody

CougarCJ

I couldn't say, I would surmise that the impeller installed on any rebuilt water pump would be what is available now.

Size of the water pump and crank shaft pulley would determine the pump speed, along with the ring and pinion ratio, tire size, and style of driving.

It would have to be researched, but wouldn't a 1968 small block water pump work on both 289 and 302's?

I can tell you for a fact that later model 302 water pump and after market water pumps will have a clearance issue with your fan shroud, and most likely would be a reverse rotation unit.

nfrntau

The late model water pump will also have the return hose exiting to the wrong side of the car. If it goes to the wrong side you will also lose sight of the timing mark mark