• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Opinions - factory / dealer options

DSO51

What is conventional wisdom among mustang enthusiasts regarding the addition of dress up kits / options for Mustangs? To clarify... If a mustang shows up at a show and has an add on that was available either from the factory or from the dealer and right for the year and model, i.e. luggage rack, cobra dress up kit, etc. ... is that looked upon poorly if it was added at a later date in comparison to it being originally on the car?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

DSO51

P

PNewitt

This is a very good question, and I'm glad you asked it.

The answer is VERY subjective, because car shows are not an exact science. Having a built sheet--and/or Marti Report with your options on the car--and on the list-- is the best way to go.

However--there were many "factory" options that were also added by the dealer. Some with the exact same parts--other with something bought by the dealer, or from an outside manufacturer that sold "kits" to dealers to add to cars to sell them. "IF" you wanted a Shelby Aluminum FE intake put on, the dealer would order it, and put it on, but you'd be advised that it would probably invalidate your Ford warranty.

There are lots of options that as long as they are "period", and, WERE authentic, separate options that the dealer did put on to cars, then I say go for it. Cobra Dress up Kit, Rear Speaker Grilles, Rear Window Defogger w/switch, Vinyl Top, Dual Exhaust, add-on headrests, fender trim, etc...are all add on stuff you could get.

To be blunt about it--you get a lot of politics at car shows about whether something was or was not "originally" on the car. What if the original owner added a (late) '68 Hood tach 3 months after he bought the car?

It's not so much what is right or wrong about this. It's whether it makes you happy--on YOUR car. If you feel strongly about adding an option--and you research it, and it's 100% all there as a dealer put it on, then I say go for it. Besides--I like "educating" these know-it-all judges at car shows with this stuff.

IF you add a factory-only option, like a deluxe interior (never a dealer option), it will be difficult to "prove" it if you have a Marti Report out there saying otherwise.

On the other side--I' know of an owner of a stock '68 coupe that had their undercarriage "undercoated" completely, despite the fact it was a San Jose car--which didn't get all that much coating. They did it to win a "national Mustang Club" show, because they based their rules on East Coast cars from the NJ plant that undercoated their cars much more. So..go figure.

It's not an exact science--but it could be, if those who do these rules sat down and figured it out. All the data is there. Rules today are waaay too subjective to favor the influential.

I say do what makes you happy.

Paul Newitt

rvrtrash

I agree with Paul in that you should build the car to enjoy it and not for the shows. The shows are all politics and will drive you nuts. One of my cars is a 69 XL convertible that I spent 5 years restoring, even finding a bolt of the original basket weave material from 69 for the seats. At a Galaxie show a few years ago, some distance from my home, I was beat by a car that had been repainted a different color, but the jams, under hood, etc. were still original color and it had a homemade trailer hitch on the back. I overheard a couple of the judges saying the guy was a good member who deserved to win something for all the work he put into the club.
Steve

clipper

I'm curious about the undercoating. My CS was shiped to kansas and since I'm (as near as I can tell) the fourth owner I woundered if it was original. The car does not appear to have been repainted, and there is no bondo in the doors or qtr panels. However there is a little of the body paint overspray over the undercoating. If the car was undercoated at the factory would it have been done before the body paint was applied?

Thanks, Scott

bish

"I'm curious about the undercoating. My CS was shiped to kansas and since I'm (as near as I can tell) the fourth owner I woundered if it was original. The car does not appear to have been repainted, and there is no bondo in the doors or qtr panels. However there is a little of the body paint overspray over the undercoating. If the car was undercoated at the factory would it have been done before the body paint was applied?"

Sounds like you allready know the answer to that one.
I'd bet that since you see overspray on the undercoating you can figure the car has had a repaint sometime in it's 35 years. It may have only had a partial repaint which makes it hard to spot. Or a real good repaint which is good for you!

To comment on the other topic, like the others have said, if its period correct the only way for someone else knowing if its original or not would be to see a Marti report.

I'd also may be going out on a limb by saying this but I'd also wager that most owners of GT/CS are not strictly period correct when its comes to replacing parts.
For example to be correct you can't have anything that says Motorcraft in your engine compartment, to keep all of that stuff correct is very expensive!

If you want to put something on that you like that is not correct, keep the correct stuff for that day when when you will say goodby to yours and move on to the next one.

OP
OP
D

DSO51

Does it make it any less original if it was added at the dealer in comparison to the factory. Some of our cars came without foglamps for a period of time (later added at the dealership). Some came without decals (my HCS came without decals and were later added)... did this make them less of an original GT/CS or HCS? Was that not the original premise behind the Mustang concept.. customize, customize, customize. How many cars actually rolled out of the dealership at the original sticker price?
I prefer my car as it is.... "just the way it rolled of the factory floor with very few additions". I'm thinking of adding the Pertronix kit but fear the "wrath" of the mustang purists when the wires are not exactly the right color or the day when someone looks at my oil filter and it does not read "Rotunda". Can I add chrome trim around my fender wells or upgrade my seat belts to the deluxe version or install a period correct am/fm even if my Marti report states otherwise. You get my point!
Thanks for reading my rant and responding in turn.

Craig

68sunlitgold

I go with the "it's your car, do with it as you want"! I believe a car that has dealer added options are original equipment. I agree with Paul that if you add an option that was a possible option for 68 and you use 68 parts, then it is correct. Now if you are just planning on buying a car and selling it to a purist Mustang collector, they may think other-wise. But as I said in the beginning, it's your car and do with it as you choose.

Now when you add any option, be it period correct or not, if you have to hack up your car to do it, it is probably not a good thing. Almost all 68 options can be added to the car without having to make changes that could be reversed without adverse affects. Ironically adding the CS option to a none original CS would adversally effect the car, ie you are cutting/drilling up the body.

My car did not come with power disk brakes, but for safety reasons I am slowly aquiring all the correct 68 parts. I could have gone with the Granada swap, but I wanted to go with 68 parts.
Go with what you like on YOUR car!!
Doug