• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

water on carpet passanger side

green56

is their any easy way it find were the water is coming from on a 66 conv i have water coming in on passanger side i know that it could be one of two ways rusted cowl or drain hose need to do this for winter project can you cut out a piece of metal on passanger side or just replace the whole cowl any help would

franklinair

Pour a glass of water into the cowl, forward of the windshield. If it runs into the car- you've got a leaky/rusted cowl vent (it should run out the drain @ the lower front fender area).
OR: It could be the heater core leaking into the car. It would have the anti freeze odor/texture if that is the case.

Neil

robert campbell

If the water is from the cowl area, sometimes it is the drain hole is plugged. As Neil said, if you have the car on a level surface and pour water (slowly, as the design is not supposed to stop a fire hose) on the right side of the cowl vents behind the hood, the water should pour on you foot which to perform this "feat" is positioned almost perfectly where the water comes out. Right behind the front tire. If nothing comes out, the hole is plugged or you have a lot of holes in the cowl area!!

If water comes out where it is supposed to do the test again with someone in the interior laying on their back (I hate this) with the passenger vent door opened. You can kinda look up into the large opening that the air comes in. There is about a one inch tall lip all the way around this opening. You can reach up and feel it. Many times is rotted and lets water in. There is a cowl repair kit that allows the installation of a tall plastic lip to be installed with, of course the heater remove. Many times this will cure the leak!

This is not an air-conditioned car is it?

Also, if you do have a couple small holes in the cowl, they can be repaired with JB Weld metal epoxy. If they are totally rotten then you need to gut the dash and spend money.

Also, a windshield can leak. If your cowl test remains dry and it is not anti-freeze (sickly sweet smell as well as green) then lay in there and look up while someone pours water around the windshield gaskets.

Rob

OP
OP
G

green56

carpet wet

no the liqued that is coming thru is not anti freeze and no a/c could you cut holes on engine side by the passanger wall to see were the problem is?

robert campbell

You could cut holes but that would be costly. Try pouring the water and looking up into the vent area. Or above the heater assembly. You should be able to see where it comes in at. If none pours out on the ground behind the tire you need to open the drain hole.

Try that and let's talk more. It is very easy to do.

Rob

franklinair

If you remove thr right front fender, you'll see the side of the cowl. Using a die grinder, you can cut the side portion out to gain access & visibibity to the inside of the cowl. Based on what you see (major or minor rust) you can determine what repair is required. The piece you cut out should allow you to get your hand inside. Don't worry about the cutout - it's easily put back - either welding or fiberglass, and it's concealed & covered up when the fender is re-installed.
Naturally, any rust must be treated & neutralized, and POR-15 is a GOOD coating. If it's just pinholes, I'd just fiberglass over them. If necessary, a "top hat" (plastic insert) can be installed if the 1" chimney is too badly rusted.
But you won't know how serious the rust damage may be until you open things up. I've done this type repair before, so if there's anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Neil