• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Dealer installed options- More HP.

PB gtcs

As my brother and I work on the CS, we continue to ask ourselves about how to appoint our car. Especially when it comes to the Horse Power department. The car we own was a 289,2 V, C-4 when born. Do not know how it came out of the dealer shop, but soon got a hipo 289, 4v, 4 spd, 9 inch. It has a Ford part on the power steering assembly that allows for Headers.

After the shaggy dog story, now the question. Were 4V, headers, and dual exhaust dealer intalled options??

Brian

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Thanks for the reply. So, if we put a 289, 4v, headers in the car, we would not be out of line by saying it could have been a dealer supplied option??

Please for a newby, help me understand the diff between the 289 and the 302. Bore and Stroke?? Internal parts?? Heads??

Brian

Calspecialdreamer

PB gtcs,

Make sure you have the "K" style headers. They were supplied with the engine. Headers (aftermarket) would not be correct.

As for the 289 vs 302, the compression would be different, but I am not sure what the compression/ ratio would be. I have heard the heads are interchangeable, but again, I don't know the difference. I will try and look that one up in some materials I have......

P

PNewitt

Well, this is a stretch, but the Ford dealer could put just about anything you'd want on your Mustang. This was more common in the Los Angeles area, since the Shelby aftermarket items were right there in Gardena (L.A.). A lot of '66-'67 Galaxies got new intakes, and those cool headlight covers in clear from the dealer, too, so this wasn't all that unusual at the time.

Most of the engine mods invalidated the Ford warranty, such as intakes, heads and headers; so most owners were not so quick to do it...

If you were to go "vintage", look in my 1996 book, and see how Shelby could provide that Cobra 289-302 alum intake, a 600cfi holley, tri-y headers, wheels, etc.

It's up to you, but car shows would probably ask for the original dealer paperwork for any mods. I do have a copy of Ford paperwork for a hood tach for a GT/CS put on by the dealer in Monterey.

And then.....!!!

Some guys would take their Mustangs, Comets, Fairlanes, etc...into the Shelby facility at LAX on weekends and evenings and "install" some cool items up on the racks. These cars then become grey area "Shelby Modified" cars at shows....

I say do what makes you happy.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Paul,

Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciate you taking the time and having the interest.

My brother Paul and I are wanting to give this horse a little more kick. I have a SC Cobra, with a 428. It produces 460 hp and over 520 torque. Weighs just over 2,300 lbs. We know this small block will not do this, but wud like for it to at least get out of its own way.

We are on a tight budget. We have about a 73 302 2v that we bought with the car. We know it is terrible with the purist, but it is what our budget will take now.

We have a C code car. Thus, we thought we would enjoy this motor and get this car on the road by giving this engine a little hp. Hope to find a 4v manifold and headers reasonably priced and then will try to get at least 3.25 gears to give it some snap. The 302 has a c4 behind it and that is ok with us. Everything will fit with the coding on the car for small shows in small towns. We are not concerned abuot winning a concours event. We want a nice car that will show well and have fun to drive.

As well, we want to be as close as we can to original when one opens the hood. In short, hard to tell the diff between the 289 and the 302 from first glance. Give it a chance to make 250 to 275 hp with 3.25 or 3.50 gears, and we can say with a straight face that we do not know what the car looked like after the dealer delivered it. But at this time, these options were availalble.

So, if they wanted to, they could have put on the 4v and headers. Thus, for small town Midwest shows, we can say it is original with "Dealer options" installed. A stretch we know, but at least this over 3,000 lb car will be able to be respectable in the after show burn-out.

Brian

P

PNewitt

Sounds good....

I would think about CalGT/CS Screamer's idea of using K-code exhaust headers, if you want some more "sympathy" from the judges. His thought was a good one, too. For most rpm's, a dual exhaust, with equalizer will work well. Headers are for lots of RPMs, and lots of sound, too.

You might consider the JBA shorty headers, too (BTW--I did their jba logo). The Try-Y headers are low under there, and tend to get hung up on speed bumps sometimes..

If you do a lot of highway driving, a 2:89 geared car with the setup I described does well, but for quick starts off the line, you are right to use 3:25 or 3:50s. That Cobra intake (and Holley 600 cfm) LOVES to go up hills, and the mid range is awesome!!

I think Scott Drake or someone makes a "universal" type of timing cover for 289 and 302 blocks. You might consider getting one, and using '68 type pulleys, brackets, etc., to "disguise' the late model 302. I think that the smog stuff on the later 302s might get in the way--but I'm not sure. Will it give you the HP you are hoping for?

Paul

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=PB gtcs link=board=1;threadid=756;start=0#msg4176 date=1073344403]
Please for a newby, help me understand the diff between the 289 and the 302.
Brian

[/quote]

The primary difference is the bore. Stroke remained the same between the two.

Scott W.

P

PNewitt

What some of you might like to know is that if you have a "C" code GT/CS, and it was built in the spring (not exactly sure when--I have it somewhere in my 1996 book), then you got a 302, instead of a 289 block.

Ford "snuck" this into production for the Mustang and Cougar at the Milpitas (SJ) plant. If you have a late car with a C code, and it's an original block, I bet if you lift the intake it will say "302".

Another thing you'll only find in a registry. Hard, owner-provided evidence.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Thank you to all of the folks on the sight. Have started a search for some other heads that will give us a little more snap. One suggestion is to run 351W heads, but understand they require different intake than was available in 68. However, hear they do flow a lot better. Would LOVE to find a set of Edelbrock Al heads like I have on my SC Cobra. But that will probably not happen. Have the headers found and will put those on.

Have a 9 inch 3.25 posi sitting next to the car which is a 68 production unit. Hopefully this will give it a little kick. Also have an 8 inch 2.79 open gears. Will plan to use the 9 inch.

If any of you guys have a set of Al heads for the 302 sitting around collecting dust, let me know. Might be interested.

AGain, thanks to all with the ideas.

Brian

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=PB gtcs link=board=1;threadid=756;start=0#msg4327 date=1074794284]
Would LOVE to find a set of Edelbrock Al heads like I have on my SC Cobra. But that will probably not happen. [/quote]

Why not some E-Brock Performer or RPM heads?

Scott W.

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

That would be what I am speaking about. The Performer RPM series is what I have on the Big Block. Really helped the HP.

Last night a fellow called me about using the heads from a 84 Mustang 5.0. The car was carbureted and he has the intake as well. Says will fit right onto the 302 block. Anyone ever use this combo?? Results??

Brian

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=PB gtcs link=board=1;threadid=756;start=0#msg4350 date=1074867960]
Last night a fellow called me about using the heads from a 84 Mustang 5.0. The car was carbureted and he has the intake as well. Says will fit right onto the 302 block.[/quote]

The holds will bolt on, but I think the exhaust ports are placed differently on later model heads, so the exhaust might not bolt up the same way. I'd make sure before bolting on new heads.

Scott