• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Tag Location?

BroadwayBlue

I know there are a few posts here on this topic (Engine Tag Location) but couldn't find an answer to my question.

When we detailed the engine on my 289, I removed the engine tag from where it was mounted, on the driver's side of the intake manifold. I knew this was different from my 302's location.

I checked Bob Mannel's book (Small Block Ford V8's) and he indicates in 67 the engine tag was located on the intake manifold where mine was but all 68's were mounted on the oil dipstick support.

I was curious if anyone has a picture of an original tag in this location on a 289. Does the tag go up or down or to the side? etc ...

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

6t8-390gt

The couple original J codes I have come across lately have all been on the dipstick tube bolt. I can't say for certain on the C codes. Casey's gallery photos show the tag, maybe he has some photos b/f he took his off to give you the documentation you are looking for.

Danny

case12

Mine was already off the engine when I got it in a box of stuff with the car. I have seen it on the coil bolt, the oil stick bolt, the distributor bolt and bolted on the right side of the manifold. It would be interesting to know - sounds like a Jeff Speegle question. I decided to put mine on the distributor bolt, where it can be best seen. Casey

6t8-390gt

Rich,
Have you checked the numbers and tag, is this truely the original engine, manifold,tag?

The photo on page 8-6 of Bob Mannel's book shows the dipstick location facing down. Also upon closer inspection it is a 289 tag. My 390 tag is on my coil bracket bolt, but that is another animal.

My suggestion is to use the dipstick location until you can get some other supporting documentation.

Danny

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich,
Have you checked the numbers and tag, is this truely the original engine, manifold,tag?

The photo on page 8-6 of Bob Mannel's book shows the dipstick location facing down. Also upon closer inspection it is a 289 tag. My 390 tag is on my coil bracket bolt, but that is another animal.

My suggestion is to use the dipstick location until you can get some other supporting documentation.

Danny

Hi,

Yes it is the tag from this engine.
I actually came across that picture today in the Mannel book so that's where I mounted it.

Thanks!
Rich

@Holmes

On the dip stick bolt - strait up, vertical on the orig blocks I have seen. Humm It fits just right between the dip stick tube bracket and the intake. Wonder why? I know that some say down but that makes noe sense-hadder to read.