• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS: YOUR Percentage of Mustang vs. Shelby

P

PNewitt

For my book, I'm devoting a chapter on "ownership", and would like to get some of your insights about what YOU think the GT/CS is.

I would like to know at what percentage you think the GT/CS (and/or the '68 HCS) is Mustang versus Shelby.

For example-- 60% Mustang/40% Shelby,
or 50% Mustang/50% Shelby, etc..etc.

I'd like more of your gut reaction about this, and your experiences with your CS. Not so much counting part-for-part how it shakes out, but just in how you feel about it. When I say "Shelby", I mean in context with Shelby Automotive's GT-350s and GT-500s, KRs, in 1968 (not like the 1965 "R" models, etc..)

This can also include your thoughts, loyalties, hopes, club affiliations, conversations, etc., about Mustangs vs. Shelbys, too--when making your percentage splits.

thanks!!

Paul N.

p51

Following the 80/20 rule. 80% Mustang, 20% Shelby.

rvrtrash

p51 said:
Following the 80/20 rule. 80% Mustang, 20% Shelby.

That sounds about right, although I'd give the true GT's a 60/40 and the 428's maybe a 40/60.

Steve

Perkchiro

100% Ford Mustang with 20% Shelby influence. So I guess I would agree with P51 and invoke the 80/20 rule.

68gt390

First off I'd have to say I side with Joe. 100% Mustang. Now on the other hand being that I'm located in the Central United States and the reactions I get from folks that actually see my CS here I'd have to say 80% Shelby. Everybody that see's the rear of the car automatically assumes it's a Shelby. That again show's that not many are educated on actual Shelby production or GT/CS production but, have come to recognize the car based on the tail section which is 100% Shelby. Based on the fact that I'm originally from California and have always known about these cars my gut feeling is to give it a 90% Mustang and 10% Shelby split. Now that this disortation is done, I can go back to sleep. :frust:

Don

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

LOL, Don! Geesch! I didn't mean to mess with people's heads! OUCH!

I think I said in one of my books :"The nameplate says Mustang, the Spirit is Shelby, and the feeling is definately "California".

Would you say that is an accurate assessment?

I know we've hashed this out a millions times; worse than a family tree argument at Thanksgiving!! LOL!! But--I'm sensing that owners prefer to side a little more with the Mustang (clubs, image, history), than with the Shelby side (high perf., looks, clubs, etc.).

The ironic part of this, like Don pointed out, is that folks that see the cars, think they are Shelbys, and at some car shows, they get "more attention" than other HP cars, including some Shelbys of the same period.

I don't want to wear this out (again! LOL!), but I just wanted some reactions from owners. This is good for my book, since i want to talk about what it's like to own a GT/CS, and what your personal experience has been like all these years. This is important, because the time frame from about 1969-2006 is a huge part of the GT/CS History. Your experience matters.

thanks again--I appreciate your thoughts.
--let's hear more!!

Paul N.

case12

40% Shelby for 3 reasons:

1. Influence of Fred Goodell (Shelby Chief Engineer) on making it happen. He is on record as having said "Sure I did" when asked if he helped make the GT/CS happen - he said the GT/CS came from Little Red, and that he offered all the 68 shelby parts for Ford to make it. He also is on record that the Green Hornet was built from a GT/CS

2. The 1968 literature refers to the GT/CS as "inspired by Shelby", and other such terms. (I even have one original article that interestingly critiques the GT/CS (harshly I might add) and says the CS should stand for Caroll Shelby, and not California Special - as it was a Mustang coupe with Shelby parts on it).

3. In the mid-west most people recognize my GT/CS in the same class and shows as the Shelby's. At Shelby shows I get as much, or more, people coming over to see my unique car.

The rest is 60% Mustang. Casey

scott adams

I think other than the 65 R model all Shelby mustangs are 80% mustang 20% shelby. the GT/CS HCS is 85/15.

p51

PNewitt said:
I think I said in one of my books :"The nameplate says Mustang, the Spirit is Shelby, and the feeling is definately "California".

Would you say that is an accurate assessment?

Paul N.
In answer to your question... "Yes, yes, and yes".

Drive down CA highway 1 in your GT/CS with the Beach Boys playing and I imagine its pretty close to actually being in 1968...

case12

scott adams said:
I think other than the 65 R model all Shelby mustangs are 80% mustang 20% shelby
Great point! Simple and succinct. I think it solves many Shelby influence discussions! Casey

68gt390

Paul;
I agree with you 100%. With that said, that is one of the reasons I pushed for several years to get a company to do a diecast model of the CS. Hopefully, those out there unfamiliar with the CS will see the diecast, buy one because of the uniqueness and also learn some history on the CS from the box. I know several folks were I work wanted one when they saw mine that I took into work. First words out of their mouth "WOW, what is that". I know everytime I drive my car to work, people have actually come out of the building just to get a better look at the car. As was said by Paul earlier, we have talked about this numerous times and I think it's great. It's neat to see how we as owners actually look at our cars.

Don :cool:

Trap68

Paul,
In 1969 when I was 8 years old and living in Redondo Beach, CA, I watched a candle-apple red CS drive by on Catalina Ave and for me the most distinctive part of the car that I recall today was the duck-tail trunk lid. I asked my dad what kind of car that was and he didn't say Mustang or Shelby; his answer was "Son, that's a California Special!" For me that was a defining moment and to this day the CS has always been a "California Special"; unique and different from the Shelby and Mustang. For those of you who have had the honor and privilege to own one of these magnificent vehicles, the debate of what the ratio is of mustang/shelby is moot...it's 100% California Special!
Cheers!
Rick

68 GTCS

Paul,
Growing up in rural North Dakota, you were lucky to see a Mustang. I never heard of a California Special until 1992 when I laid eyes on one here in Colorado. When I asked what it was, the gentleman said it was a California Special. He then stated that people called them "A poor mans Shelby". Regardless I have always put them in there own class and have always refered to them, as Rick stated, a "California Special". But if its numbers your after I would have to say 60% Mustang 40% Shelby.

Kevin

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Trap68 said:
Paul,
In 1969 when I was 8 years old and living in Redondo Beach..........the debate of what the ratio is of mustang/shelby is moot
...it's 100% California Special!
Cheers!
Rick

Rick has absolutely nailed it!!!! This has been a point of question for owners for many years--Mustang or Shelby? ONLY by the 20-30 years of ownership, and within the public domain; has this car has defined it's own niche. It's neither--it's come into it's own. The same will happen with the '07 and '08 GT/CSs.

Thanks, Rick!!

Paul. N.

Stacey Enderle

CS in the same neighborhood?

68 GTCS said:
Paul,
Growing up in rural North Dakota, you were lucky to see a Mustang. I never heard of a California Special until 1992 when I laid eyes on one here in Colorado. When I asked what it was, the gentleman said it was a California Special. He then stated that people called them "A poor mans Shelby". Regardless I have always put them in there own class and have always refered to them, as Rick stated, a "California Special". But if its numbers your after I would have to say 60% Mustang 40% Shelby.

Kevin

So what part of North Dakota did you grow up in? I came from the eastern half of rural North Dakota. My dad purchased our CS which later I inherited from him, in Billings Montana and brought it back to Valley City, ND. It spent a good number of years there until I moved it to a border town in MN. I would say like Paul says that the CS is a mustang with a shelby spirit or at least I feel it's 80% mustang and 20% shelby.

Best Regards,

Stacey

gt bandit

Could not afford a Shelby , didn't want a run of the mill Mustang. So i was about to get into a 67GTA fairlane - when i heard about the CS phenomena

from then on it was CS or nothing.

I do see the Shelby influence and be very sure the Shelby folk in OZ dont want to be recognised in anyway with anything that is not 100% Shelby so they don't " apparently"

100% CS for mine , because otherwise its a Mustang or a Shelby.

but i reckon FORD just see it as a mustang - otherwise the CS bit wouldn't be included in the options list?

hmmmm - don't think i answered the question , but its my view none the less.

John McGilvary

When I bought my California Special I could have bought a Shelby or any other style of Mustang, they were all on the same lot, and I had my choice. I bought the California Special because it was the best looking Mustang I had ever seen. I think it is 100% California Special Mustang. John

Dave's Classic

A little off topic, but gotta tell ya.

I got a ticket on the last day of my job [laid off with no prospects] driving my wifes Mustang. On the way home it was the first great spring afternoon and again I was doing 75 with the windows down and California dreaming on the radio. I had to go to dinner that night with her boss and his wife. He said I must have had a bad day. No I exclaimed! Didn't you hear me, I was doing 75 with the windows down and California Dreaming cranked!

Nothing like an old ride.

Last edited: