• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail light panel sealer?

murf104

Does the tail light fiberglass tail light panel have sealer applied between the original sheet metal and the added C/S panel. Did Ford apply some dum dum type body sealer when this panel was screwed to the main portion of the body during assembly. This sealer would be very obvious when opening the trunk lid. Thanks for any comments you may care to offer and for any photos of original cars taken of this area.

dalorzo_f

I recently bought a slightly damaged OEM Shelby panel, can't say for sure if the GT/CS is the same, but that one did have a sealer applied around the panel. Similar to the strip caulk, but seemed a lot harder than most I have removed...

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

gazrox

I'm assuming you are referring to the 6 square plates that screw over the tail-light panel. If so, yes you should seal them with dum dum prior to installing the screws. Once the final fibreglass tail light assembly is on, you won't see the sealant.

Gary

dalorzo_f

Does the tail light fiberglass tail light panel have sealer applied between the original sheet metal and the added C/S panel.

Here's what I found. Black strip caulk type material...

KGrHqNhUE2et6yVjBNtwmcDF2g_3.jpg

KGrHqJhwE2JRTpTvBNtwmoIcMg_3.jpg

KGrHqFhEE2gOlt3fBNtwmTzTQ_3.jpg

gazrox

Don't take this as gospel but that doesn't look original to me from the factory applied sealant evidence I have seen on mine and other cars. If it was to be effective as a sealant you would expect to find sealant all the way around the panel and around all openings. Secondly, if that panel was sealed then it would be pointless to apply sealant to the 6 metal tail-light panels.

I certainly did not find sealant on my panel when it was removed, but that may not mean too much either, after all this was off a Shelby.

Dalorzo, next time I'm in Brisbane visiting my folks I'll PM you - be good to catch up with a fellow car nut.

Gary

rvrtrash

My car had body caulk on it when I took the tail light panel off, and I reapplied 3M strip caulk when I put it all back together. I believe it's only function was to reduce vibration which would've cracked the fiberglass over time.

Steve

OP
OP
M

murf104

The panel in the images is in fact the panel I was asking about. The 3M Strip Calk is also what it appeared to be on our car, but it had been repainted. Any more input on this? If you have an original car you probably can tell in a glance if you have this sealer. Also curious if this sealer was applied to the 68 Shelby cars? Has anyone ever seen a note in any assembly paperwork or other Ford document that called out this sealer on the CS cars built at SJ CA.?

Mosesatm

Original cars have the sealer Steve mentioned. It's as hard as a rock after 40 years.

dalorzo_f

The photos are a supposed OEM 68 Shelby. The wiring has correct numbers, as do the buckets. The sealer was very, very hard... There is evidence of the sealer across the entire top edge, but only in places on the lower...

Drop by anytime!

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks to all who responded. The strip caulk will remain in place.

nfrntau

When I removed mine it didn't have any caulking between the fiberglass panel and the body of the car. There was however caulking between the taillight insert covers and the car. These photos will clear up what I'm saying.

Attachments

• DSCF1946.jpg
    DSCF1946.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Front A 074.jpg
    Front A 074.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Front A 076.jpg
    Front A 076.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Front A 078.jpg
    Front A 078.jpg