• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Interesting Discovery on Jason's vs Broadways CS

BroadwayBlue

I was looking at Jason's Marti Report in his gallery and I noticed his build date was the same as mine. Seems our cars traveled together for awhile and were released the same day.

Some things I thought were interesting was that although they were built the same day, 4/30/68. Mine was built 13 days ahead of schedule while Jason's was 13 days behind schedule.

The other thing that I thought was odd, was ... our VIN numbers are pretty far off. There is a difference of 2639. Is it safe to assume that like today a VIN number was assigned well before the car hit the assembly line?
Which would go along with the Marti Report stating that the car is "The 99999th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at San Jose."

390cs68rcode

I figure they get the order somehow for the car and it gets a serial number at that point. At this same point it is assigned all the options and the build order is made. I had a 68 Mustang 390 coupe that had a BUNCH of options. The serial number was 8r01s103363. this means it was ordered very early in 68. The car was 80 days behind schedule on being built which means if they issue the serial number when it was built it would have a higher serial number. Once it was built is took over 14-15 months to actually sell the car. I figure it was a dealer showroom car to show all the options a car can have.

P

PNewitt

Here's something that might help. I'm putting this into the book, also. It's from Vincent Liska of SAAC, and was in The SHELBY AMERICAN, issue # 55. The article is called "DSOs Explained"

(paraphrased)

"Orders for the production of vehicles were formulated on a Ford Motor Company form (#FD6243). This internal form, titled "Special Order" was a combined sales order and manufacturing authority to produce vehicles as scheduled. The scheduling was for the porpose of having unique parts on hand during the time a car or group of cars (i.e. GT/CS (ed.)) were to be assembled. Rather than build cars piecemeal, the production control department grouped similar cars together so that special parts would be available in sufficient quantities for that production run. This eliminated the chance of depleting the supply of certain parts during the building of a group of cars."

What this means is that the GT/CS was built in groups. I will be going over the Marti reports, as well as DSO and build dates to look for groups and trends in production--for the updated registry. It's conceivable that your car is in a "DSO group", of a particular time, based on dealer orders, as they came in.

Some DSO orders were as small as one vehicle, and as large as 200 vehicles--but all the cars were the same "equipment-wise". Such as all the GT/CS cars with a 289 and a C-4 transmission were built in groups.

Paul N.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

C160223 said:
Rich
my VIN is 23 cars from yours. It also was built 04/30/68, 13 days ahead of schedule

That's cool John!

Thanks Paul, as always, for the info.

I guess that all makes sense. It's pretty much the same today as far as VIN assignment. I know we just ordered a new Expedition (growing family - new addition coming) and they have the VIN but waiting on the build date.

The building it in groups makes sense as well. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many days CSs and HCSs were built. Right in this small thread we have 3 cards built on 4/30/68.

As for mine - it took forever to sell - since it basically was bare bones I don't think it was a dealer car to show all the options - more likely to show the lack of options :grin:

Thanks guys!

P

PNewitt

I've noticed that on most CS's Marti Reports that I've received, that it takes about 6 months for the car to sell. One was as late as March, 1969!

PAul N.