• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trunk mat pattern?

rvrtrash

Do 68 CS's have the plaid pattern, speckle pattern or either trunk mats. I'm getting ready to order one and want to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance.
Steve 8)

GTCSMustang

I've been curious about this too. I have three GT/CS's and they all have original trunk mats as far as I know. One has a painted speckled pattern on it, and two have a matted cloth mat which would be similar to the painted speckled mat but without the paint. The speckled mat is in the car with a Dallas DSO and the non-speckled mat is in the two GT/CS's with a L.A. DSO. I also have a 1968 Mustang coupe that was built in San Jose that has the non-speckled mat and I bought it from the original owner and he said that the mat came with the car. I also have two 1968 Shelbys that have the painted speckled mat, but all Shelbys were made in N.J. and probably don't apply to the GT/CS's. So....I believe that depending on what the factory had at the time, you might get either a painted-speckled mat or a non-speckle non-painted cloth mat in a GT/CS. But I don't think any 1968 Mustangs came from the factory with the rubber mats that you sometimes see.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has an opinion. I've wondered about this for a long time.

Scott

PB gtcs

All I can say is what Brother Paul bought for our car after doing his research. We now own a pretty pladd mat that is off white and grey.

CalPaul

[quote author=CalPaul link=board=1;threadid=1121;start=0#msg6165 date=1097187433]
My car is as stock as can be. here is a pic of the trunk.
[/quote].

Hmm, my pic is to big. anyway it is the unattractive black/white plaid pattern. I'll try to get a smaller memory pic and post later.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I was hoping you guys would tell me speckle since I really don't care for plaid, but it sounds like it could have gone either way. Does Mr. Paul care to weigh in on the subject? ;D
Steve

GTCSMustang

Steve,

Here are a couple of pictures of the trunk mats I have in my cars. The first picture is of the non-speckle painted mat (just matted materia) and the second picture is of a matted material with speckle paint. Also a couple of not-very-good picturs of some of the cars.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00439.JPG
    DSC00439.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 12

GTCSMustang

Guess I have to post these one at a time. Here's the speckled one.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00440.JPG
    DSC00440.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

OK, now I'm about 40% jealous and 60% impressed. Nice collection! ;)
Steve

P

PNewitt

Well, yeah, that is impressive....

The only other guy I know with more than three GT/CS cars is Ernie Gonzalez in So. Calif--with four or five at any one time, and one HCS, too.

About Trunk mats...

When i got my car in '74 (for $995), it had a plaid mat, kinda ratty. I still have it. "Most" people that answered my GT/CS survey from about '85 to '90 said that they had plaid mats, too.

It's all in the supplier at the time. If the OEM supplier ran out of plaid, they sent speckle. I'm sure someone knows what type of mat was primarily used for each of the three assembly plants. In a general sense, plaid was popular out here on the west coast--but I wouldn't knock anyone in a car show for having speckle.

Also--some people think that a plaid mat upside down is "speckle".

Maybe this will help.

Paul N.

GTCSMustang

Paul,

Do you have a picture of the plaid mat that you could post? Is the plaid mat the same matted cloth material as the speckled, or is it rubber?

Scott

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Thanks for the answer Paul. I want to make it like original (or easily changed back) and just prefer speckle. My conscience is clear.
Steve

68sunlitgold

Scott,
very nice looking cars, I myself fancy the 68 Shelby Sunlit Gold convertible then again I may be biased on the color.
The first mat looks like it is the back side of the mat, what is on the other side. I too like the speckled mat.
Doug

How about more pics of that Sunlit Gold convertible?

GTCSMustang

68sunlitgold,

The mat that looks like the back-side of the speckled mat is not. It is the same on both sides. Looks like the speckled mat but without the speckles, but a little darker material. I have that same un-speckled mat in three mustangs. Guess maybe the factory ran out of the speckled ones or something. Speaking (typing) of Gold Mustangs, I have a 68 Sunlit Gold coupe for sale on ebay right now. Sounds like you need that car!!!

Scott

GTCSMustang

68sunlitgold,

Here's a picture of the Shelby. I moved the cars around yesterday and can't really get to it very well. Original Sunlit Gold paint, original interior, original exhaust, all original glass and convertible top, original engine and smog, original spare and trunk mat, and original hubcaps. I also put an original set of E70/15 Goodyear Speedway "small letter" tires on the car, altough they are not the original set.

How about pictures of your cars?

Scott