• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Check out the stampings on this 1968 Six Cylinder and 3 peed manual tranny. This car still has its original stuff. Wonder if the Six Cylinder GT/CS people on our site have ever checked?

Arlie, your new Mustang should have these!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Action shot of Rob reaming out the secondary idle discharge ports on Batgirls 3796-1 for her GT-390 engine. Hers were .022 thousands of an inch and now are right at .028 as identified by Technical Service Bulletin #1283. Boy are these drill bits small and fragile. Need to be very very careful. All went well and they are both to spec now.

http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewtopic.php?t=519

Dan's carb was also at .022, but Eric's was a later installation and got this modification.

I worked on Batgirls carb a couple years ago, but could not get it to idle smooth. I will open it up again and check all parts and try another wet test on it. I hope this time around I can dial it in and get it correct. Free of course as this is rework!!

Rob

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Check out the stampings on this 1968 Six Cylinder and 3 peed manual tranny. This car still has its original stuff. Wonder if the Six Cylinder GT/CS people on our site have ever checked?

Arlie, your new Mustang should have these!!

I've never owned or worked on a T-code. This should be fun, with lots of room under the hood!

Batgirl89

Action shot of Rob reaming out the secondary idle discharge ports on Batgirls 3796-1 for her GT-390 engine. Hers were .022 thousands of an inch and now are right at .028 as identified by Technical Service Bulletin #1283. Boy are these drill bits small and fragile. Need to be very very careful. All went well and they are both to spec now.

http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewtopic.php?t=519

Dan's carb was also at .022, but Eric's was a later installation and got this modification.

I worked on Batgirls carb a couple years ago, but could not get it to idle smooth. I will open it up again and check all parts and try another wet test on it. I hope this time around I can dial it in and get it correct. Free of course as this is rework!!

Rob

Rob, very cool to see the action shot! (since we live too far away) We really appreciate you working on this (and finding that old service bulletin!) You are amazing!! Thank you and Merry Christmas, Sheryl

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Need to find a wet test platform. Going to open her up and verify jets and such. I have a stock 351 Torino that should be very close to the requirements. If I can get it to idle on her smoothly I think we will have it whipped.

You need to get one of these for the choke system to work properly if you do not have one already. Or a local auto parts store has a universal one.

Rob

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-mct002s/overview/

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-choke-stove-and-heater-tube-ki-55111/9110107-P

Batgirl89

Need to find a wet test platform. Going to open her up and verify jets and such. I have a stock 351 Torino that should be very close to the requirements. If I can get it to idle on her smoothly I think we will have it whipped.

You need to get one of these for the choke system to work properly if you do not have one already. Or a local auto parts store has a universal one.

Rob

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-mct002s/overview/

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-choke-stove-and-heater-tube-ki-55111/9110107-P

The 351 Torino sounds like a good test subject. Thanks Rob! I will get the choke kits from summit, thank you for the link.:smile:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Sheryl,
Please post a pic of the passenger side of the carb/intake manifold that shows the PCV pipe that goes front to aft on your car. Want to ensure it is the same as Eric's and Dan's 390 GT/CS setups.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

1968 Torino with 351 Windsor just arrived! Tomorrow we will see if I improved the idling and drivability issues on Sheryl's carb!!

Rob

Batgirl89

Rob, today I noticed Gem has the original choke pipe attached to the exhaust manifold, ready to plug back into the carb. Its nice the car is all original (except the paint over) thats why we paid the Big Bucks!! the spacer that came on it is a baklite 1/2" with a port. (I forgot to take pic, we didnt use it with this temporary carb) Yes, that is a mouse nest on the manifold:mad:

Attachments

• Resized_20171227_131802.jpg
    Resized_20171227_131802.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Resized_20171227_131629.jpg
    Resized_20171227_131629.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Resized_20171227_131653.jpg
    Resized_20171227_131653.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Resized_20171227_131604.jpg
    Resized_20171227_131604.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Sheryl,
Below is a pic of Eric's 390. Both Dan's and his have the same vacuum tube running front to back on the passenger side of the engine. The PCV hose connection is hidden by the heater hoses. You may need to use the 1.2 space on the original Holley to clear the transfer tube on the passenger side. And if you do not have this vacuum tube then you will need to port on it for the PCV hose.

Ran into a snag with your carb. I got it running on the 351 and it was WAY BETTER. It had a mild flat spot right of idle that I was starting to address, but first I wanted to set the float levels. Front was a little low, so I moved the idle seat out. Tighten up the set screw and yup, el strippo! The front float bowl threads let go. I am very careful with them, but these old carbs are sometimes very worn. Dan's front float bowl had a similar problem on the front corner where the small fuel filter screws on. Grabbed the new fuel filter for his and it just pressed in. No threads at all. Dan got my last good spare I had. But not to worry!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-QFT...dle-Seat-Thread-Repair-Tool-Kit-/171846413611

Time to buck up as I have a couple more stripped out ones.

Rob

68gulfstream

The air cleaner setup is kind of an interesting topic. Here are some photos of 8R01S156667, the Highland Green 390GT that was sold recently for big bucks by a dealer in St. Louis.

I don't think this car is totally factory original, it looks more like a restoration to "better than" original specs. The engine is "date code correct" but not numbers matching. Still, the photos are great and maybe illustrate some of these 390GT hoses and setup details pretty nicely.

The air cleaner housing is the 1968 type with smooth chrome cover, snorkel, and vacuum port on the driver side. This car has been discussed through two prior sales, but I haven't seen a Marti report for a build date and it's not in the registry. I would guess that it's one of the summer cars?

9547167-1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special-std.jpg

9547170-1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special-std.jpg

9547174-1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special-std.jpg

9547177-1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special-std.jpg

9547180-1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special-std.jpg

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Eric,
Of note, this car has the "thermactor system" that we talked about today with the air pump and the exhaust tubes.

Rob

Mosesatm

Build date was April 3rd.

Attachments

• 8R01S156667_stdrpt.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 31

Ruppstang

It is a nice looking engine bay but I would not copy it for there are many details that are incorrect.

68gulfstream

It is a nice looking engine bay but I would not copy it for there are many details that are incorrect.

Marty, what jumps out at you as incorrect? I'm going to try to put my car back to a near-stock appearing engine, it would be a huge help to have a reference car that is correct. Maybe there are some photos of Mike J's engine bay floating around?

Ruppstang

Shock tower caps should be black, wrong radiator hose clamps, wrong distributor vacuum advance, engine tag in wrong location, No front decal on air cleaner, no caution fan decal on shroud. I'll stop there.
Here is a picture of Mike Jewels S code. I have judged it several times and it is just about as good as they get.
Marty

Attachments

• 1968 Scode.jpg
    1968 Scode.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 31