• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Winter Projects

6t8-390gt

Last year I ask everyone what their winter project was, the threat went pretty well. So, what is your winter project?

As I announced a few months ago this past summer I bought a 1968.5 Cobra Jet coupe. I have started to dismantle the car and hope to have it completley dismantled and have it on the rotissorie. The car was heavily undercoated so my goal is to get the undercoating striped and collect some needed parts.

somethingspecial

To finish Something Special

is my winter project. For the last two years I have been working on the car under a tent. Now it's to ^&^%#& cold to work on it, there for, I have decided to clear some of my unused equipment out of my shop and make room for Something Special. I realized with the car almost together, I have all kinds of room now in another shop to move the equipment. This will give me space in my heated shop to complete the restoration. Well, I'd write more, but I better get to cleaning. Ha Ha. Mike

Mustanglvr

Midnight Special said:
...to repaint one of the new diecast cars Highland Green ;-) As Mike says - Too darn cold to work on the real ones.

Great color choice!

How cold is it out there in California? You have any snow yet? We have had no measerable accumulation here in Minnesota this winter so far. Were supposed to get some snow on Sunday though, Woo Hoo!!!

miller511

Rhonda,

I think what Mike is talking about is the fierce and cold winds we've had the few days and nights. Near hurricane force (really). There were gusts of 70MPH last night over the Altamont Pass...there's a reason there are thousands of windmills planted up there.. And (for here) it really has been cold. Don't get me wrong...It's by no means Minnesota cold. But we are wussies when it comes to weather...it's not our fault. The blood thins out ;-)

-Jeff

joedls

Replacing the 302 with a 347 stroker, polishing the blower, replacing the C4 with an AOD, and replacing the 2.79 open differential with a 3.50 limited slip. Also adding subframe connectors and traction bars. Probably end up having to replace a couple of tires before winter is over :grin: .

Mustanglvr

miller511 said:
Rhonda,

I think what Mike is talking about is the fierce and cold winds we've had the few days and nights. Near hurricane force (really). There were gusts of 70MPH last night over the Altamont Pass...there's a reason there are thousands of windmills planted up there.. And (for here) it really has been cold. Don't get me wrong...It's by no means Minnesota cold. But we are wussies when it comes to weather...it's not our fault. The blood thins out ;-)

-Jeff

I understand. I guess I heard California and all the way up the coast was getting some nasty weather. We`ve had it perty good here, must be old El Nino.
My car is staying in the garage for the winter, I just wish I could find a battery that would hold a charge so I can start it every few weeks. I`ve had nothing but bad luck with batteries. I may have to break down and buy a new one, lol.:rolleyes:

Perkchiro

Rhonda: You might consider a trickle charger or a "Battery Tender" to keep the charge up on your battery during the Winter. These work real well and might extend the life of your batteries. Just a thought.

Mustanglvr

Great idea Steve, Thanks. I had just bought the battery I have now, second hand and it started the car fine for about 3 days in a row and then went out 2 weeks later and it was dead. Could`nt understand it cuz we`ve had really nice weather here, average 35 to 45 degrees during the day and 20 at night. The guy gave me a 30 day warranty, so I`ll just take it back. I should have been able to go out and start it cold after sitting 3 months and 15 below temps. Done it many times before.

rvrtrash

I've been working 6 day weeks since last March so I'm still working on welding up extensive rust holes on a '69 Fairlane convertible. Just couldn't seem to find enough time with all the day to day stuff that always needs done to get to it much. Guess I've been lazy. :embarass:

Steve

Mustanglvr

rvrtrash said:
I've been working 6 day weeks since last March so I'm still working on welding up extensive rust holes on a '69 Fairlane convertible. Just couldn't seem to find enough time with all the day to day stuff that always needs done to get to it much. Guess I've been lazy. :embarass:

Steve

Steve, someone that works 6 days a week is NOT lazy! No matter what the job. Give yourself some credit. Just remember to take a little time for yourself when you can. Let loose and have a Happy New Year!!!

joedls

joedls said:
Replacing the 302 with a 347 stroker, polishing the blower, replacing the C4 with an AOD, and replacing the 2.79 open differential with a 3.50 limited slip. Also adding subframe connectors and traction bars. Probably end up having to replace a couple of tires before winter is over :grin: .

I just spoke to my engine builder. He's putting the heads and induction on today. Should go on the dyno tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it in the car. I'll post pics of the engine as soon as I get some.

PFSlim

Not much of a winter project year for us this year. We are building a Factory 5 with our brother-in-law here in KC. That is our winter project. The Stang is in good shape and ready for storage.

Paul

joedls

PFSlim said:
Not much of a winter project year for us this year. We are building a Factory 5 with our brother-in-law here in KC. That is our winter project. The Stang is in good shape and ready for storage.

Paul

I gotta hand it to the man that thinks a Factory 5 car is not much of a winter project.

PFSlim

Sorry, Joe. Didn't mean it that way. I meant that I did not have much planned for working the mustang this winter. However, the Factory 5 is going together quite nicely.

Paul

joedls

PFSlim said:
Sorry, Joe. Didn't mean it that way. I meant that I did not have much planned for working the mustang this winter. However, the Factory 5 is going together quite nicely.

Paul

No apology necessary. You have already proven your skills to me. :wink:

PFSlim

Just found out last night that the GT/CS is going back to World of Wheels for third straight year. So... That means cleaning, cleaning and cleaning to get ready for the Feb 16 event. So much for not having a winter project on the Stang.

Paul

joedls

joedls said:
I just spoke to my engine builder. He's putting the heads and induction on today. Should go on the dyno tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it in the car. I'll post pics of the engine as soon as I get some.

The engine never got on the dyno last week because of issues that needed to be resolved with the crank spacer for the blower pulley. But I just spoke to the builder this morning and he ran a couple of warm-up pulls then ran out of gas. He said he hasn't really leaned on it yet, but it made 520 HP. He's going to get some gas and finish dyno tuning it today. When he's done he'll fax me the dyno sheet and I'll post it here. I can hardly wait.

joedls

Haven't gotten the final dyno numbers yet. They're closed on the East Coast, but here's a pic they sent me.

Attachments

• P1010406-reduced.JPG
    P1010406-reduced.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 28

Mustanger

... That's one sweeeet motor ... once that puppy is in your Cal Special, you'll be smoking tires all the way down to the grocery store ... we just may have to call you Smokin' Joe ...