• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Radiator Support Rubber Seal

Russ

As I'm restoring my lime gold CS, I was looking closely at top of the radiator support and noticed very small "staple holes" that appear to be used to hold the rubber seal on the support. None of my other 1968, San Jose Mustangs have this seal, so the question is....why is the seal there, and were there options that required the seal? I have seen this seal on many other Mustangs, so it isn't a rare item. All my Mustangs have factory A/C. Any thoughts about this seal???

Russ

P

PNewitt

As a matter of fact....I DO have an answer for you, Russ. I've wondered about this myself for a long time.

As far as I know, these rubber seals on stapled on the core support, and were on the 390 and 6 cylinder only (if you have an original one on a small block, and/or with A/C, please let us know here).

I just read in the Shelby American about Trans Am Racing in '68, and they used these same rubber seals. What they do is flip up to touch the underside of the hood, and direct the air coming in the grille to go directly to the radiator, and not up over the engine, which is wasted air that misses the radiator. It forms a seal of sorts between the core suport and the underside of the hood. Louvered hoods "drag" even more air up through the underside of the hood, because of the negative air pressure in the louver holes (kinda like a Ford GT).

The 390 (and 428CJ) needed these to help keep the engine cool.

Neat, huh? Learn something every day!

Paul N.

Mosesatm

So Jason, Rhonda, Don, and others should have these seals on their cars.

If the things worked it might be a good idea to keep the small blocks too - for those like me who are not worried about MCA or shows.

Does anyone with a 6 or a FE still have the seal on their cars? If you do would you mind taking a picture and posting it?

Thanks

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Paul, Thanks for that explanation. All my cars are small block (289 or 302), so did someone on the line just "get it wrong" on this car. The lime gold car is a 302 and was built March 6th while my other cars were built in February. Maybe the guy on the line put it on thinking my car was going to be a "big" block or a six???? I want the car the be "right", but this might just be an anomoly.

Russ

P

PNewitt

Maybe someone with a big block (or 6 cyl) can photograph the staple holes in their core support. It's a large gauge wire. Some holes are parallel and in line, and some are angled, near the ends.

I've looked at a lot of small block '68's, and it's hard to find them with these seals. I should look this in the Fords parts book for the # and specs.

Thanks,

Paul.

68gt390

Sorry; Neither of my cars have the seal. Long gone. Also of interest, my GT has all the original sheet metal still on the car and my radiator support has no holes in it. On the other hand the CS has had the radiator support replaced. Wonder if they forgot to put it on my car. I have seen the seal on other cars but, have never seen it on any other 390 cars. I'll have to start looking for it.

Don

Last edited:

case12

I have been told it was only on 6 cylinders, but didnt know about the 390. Here is my 66 Mustang with the rubber seal. It was originally a 6 cyl, but is now a 351W. (I should mention this is a Metuchen built car) Casey

Attachments

• 66convertible_crop.jpg
    66convertible_crop.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 33

hicountrybob

Russ said:
As I'm restoring my lime gold CS, I was looking closely at top of the radiator support and noticed very small "staple holes" that appear to be used to hold the rubber seal on the support. None of my other 1968, San Jose Mustangs have this seal, so the question is....why is the seal there, and were there options that required the seal? I have seen this seal on many other Mustangs, so it isn't a rare item. All my Mustangs have factory A/C. Any thoughts about this seal???

Russ
Big blocks and 6 bangers have them, but for what reason, I don't know. And I don't all the years that had them, also. Anyone else, please????????????? HC Bob here.

390cs68rcode

I had a 390 coupe with the seal. very original car

my 289 marron CS had the seal and I think it was original.

Attachments

• P1110056a.jpg
    P1110056a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 39
  • cs11.jpg
    cs11.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Russ

Russ

I just checked the Ford Assembly Manual, and, sure enough, the manual identifies the support seal as being used on the six and 390. There was no mention of any other engine size, but the drawing had a 1967 date. Thanks again, Paul. Now I wish I knew why the staple marks on the support are on my J code CS?????

Russ

rvrtrash

My J code had the staple holes also, so I just figured the seal had disappeared at one time and put a 390 one on. Oh well!
Steve

GTCSMustang

Russ,
Tried to call you last night but got no answer, left you a message. I have an original unrestored San Jose 1968 Mustang with no radiator seal and no evidence that there was ever one there. I have 3-unrestored 428 Mustangs and all have the seal. Let me know if you need any pictures. All kinds of wierd stuff happened at the factory as we all know. Yours must have had the seal. Can't imagine them just putting staples in for no reason. One of my Shelbys has an AC pulley on the smog pump and the cutout in the radiator support for AC even though it was produced as a non-AC car. Someone at the factory apparently thought it was going to have air and then figured out differently. It is also the only known KR produced without reinforced shock towers.

Mosesatm

GTCSMustang said:
Russ,
Tried to call you last night but got no answer, left you a message. I have an original unrestored San Jose 1968 Mustang with no radiator seal and no evidence that there was ever one there. I have 3-unrestored 428 Mustangs and all have the seal. Let me know if you need any pictures. All kinds of wierd stuff happened at the factory as we all know. Yours must have had the seal. Can't imagine them just putting staples in for no reason. One of my Shelbys has an AC pulley on the smog pump and the cutout in the radiator support for AC even though it was produced as a non-AC car. Someone at the factory apparently thought it was going to have air and then figured out differently. It is also the only known KR produced without reinforced shock towers.

Wow, sounds like it was a Monday morning car!

P

PNewitt

This might be one of those parts that are determined by the DSO, the specified radiator, A/C, etc. Just like AZ and HI cars have "heater deletes". Maybe something like 2-row only radiators got these on the small blocks?

Also--remember that this has been a part available from Mustang parts dealers, and I'm sure that people have added them over the years, thinking that they all had them.

It would be interesting to chase this down. Maybe Jeff Speigel knows? I can see this being a point killer at MCA shows, if it's really only on the 6 cyl and 390/428 cars. Bob--does your 428 have one?

thanks, Paul N.

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Scott, I'll give you a call tonight. The thing that is crazy about this item is that my CS (C Code) and GT (J code) have no evidence of staples in the support and both have the original supports! These cars were built in February when Ford was cutting costs on the cars. The lime gold CS is a J code car, built in March and it has the staple holes! I agree with Paul that this could be a real sticking point with the MCA judges, and I really have no documentation to "prove" it was built with the seal. I'll probably just fill the holes, paint the support satin black and forget about it, but this has been an interesting thread!
Russ

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
This might be one of those parts that are determined by the DSO, the specified radiator, A/C, etc. Just like AZ and HI cars have "heater deletes". Maybe something like 2-row only radiators got these on the small blocks?

Also--remember that this has been a part available from Mustang parts dealers, and I'm sure that people have added them over the years, thinking that they all had them.

It would be interesting to chase this down. Maybe Jeff Speigel knows? I can see this being a point killer at MCA shows, if it's really only on the 6 cyl and 390/428 cars. Bob--does your 428 have one?

thanks, Paul N.

Paul, just for your research, here's the stat's on mine. J-code 302, auto, air, 3 core radiator, had staple holes but no seal when I got it. Car was sold in Jan. 1969 in Hawaii and was last registered in 1979. It sat for 24 years before I got it. I believe the 52,000 miles on it to be original.
Steve

Mosesatm

Here is another picture of the radiator/hood seal on a 6-cylinder car.

Last edited:

twoclassics

My X code has the seal, took it off as it was very rough barely hanging on, still have it, anyone know who might repo them Chuck