• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Turn Signal Flasher

1968CS/GT

Where exactly is the turn signal flasher on a 1968?
According to my "book" it said that it was located "on the steering column behind the instrument panel". Okay, so I got almost all of the dash screws out however there is this one screw that attaches to the dash from behind. I took out the radio and was able to reach it, but the screw would not turn. So that is also a problem. However, I need to know if the turn signal flasher is really behind the instrument panel and if there is an easier way to get to it.

Mosesatm

When I installed my Mustang Project flasher I found 2 existing flashers. One behind the instrument panel and another sitting lower down and much more accessible. Either someone re-wired my car at some point or the flasher behind the instrument panel is for the emergency flashers.

There shouldn't be any screws involved. It should just pop out of the U-shaped spring clip holder.

Perkchiro

The small unit is the emergency flasher and the larger is the turn signal flasher. Should be able to access these from under your dash without removing the instrument panel. I'd at least try that first before dismantling the dash.
Steve

OP
OP

1968CS/GT

I have looked high and low for the turn signal flasher under the dash. I have found the hazard flasher, it was behind the ashtray.
So if I am laying on my back, on the drivers side, looking up, where would the turn signal flasher be. Is it that hard to miss? Also I am assuming that the flasher unit looks the same as the hazard unit.

Perkchiro

The clip for the flasher sits above the steering column brace, right behind the instrument panel. Get a bright light and feel for it with your hand. Sometimes they work their way out of the clip and they're loose within the surrounding wiring. Good luck finding the little buggar!

OP
OP

1968CS/GT

I think that I found the flasher however the replacement flasher I bought does not fit. The unit under the dash is oblong and the new flasher is round (like the hazard flasher). Did the part shop guy sell me the wrong part? Or is this not the turn signal flasher?

joedls

1968CS/GT said:
I think that I found the flasher however the replacement flasher I bought does not fit. The unit under the dash is oblong and the new flasher is round (like the hazard flasher). Did the part shop guy sell me the wrong part? Or is this not the turn signal flasher?

If you pulled the oblong object off the instrument cluster, it is probably the instrument voltage regulator. The flasher is a round canister.

OP
OP

1968CS/GT

So, then I guess that I am still looking for the turn signal flasher.
I think that my California Special has a "special" hiding place for the turn signal flasher!!
Any other suggestions or tips will be well received.

OP
OP

1968CS/GT

Finally, the car gods have smiled upon me. I FOUND THE TURN SIGNAL FLASHER! Where you may ask? Behind the heater panel. I am not going to ask why.
Now I need to reassemble the dash since I thought the flasher was behind the speedometer. (I know stupid)
Any tips on an easy way to get the speedometer cable back on?

OP
OP

1968CS/GT

Okay, after all of that....the turn signals still do not work! The hazards flash, the bulbs are good....does that leave the switch?
Do I have to remove the steering wheel?
Once again any tips would help! (Thanks for the ones about the flasher!)

Perkchiro

1968CS/GT said:
Finally, the car gods have smiled upon me. I FOUND THE TURN SIGNAL FLASHER! Where you may ask? Behind the heater panel. I am not going to ask why.
Now I need to reassemble the dash since I thought the flasher was behind the speedometer. (I know stupid)
Any tips on an easy way to get the speedometer cable back on?

I just did this so it's fresh in my mind. Connect your harness plugs (2) and wiper switch plug. Position your cluster close to the opening and from the left side of the steering wheel and the underside of the cluster, screw the speedo cable on. It's a tricky fit since the cable has to "seat" before the threads will screw on. Tighten with a open end box wrench and you're done. Reattach your bezel mounting screws and make sure you leave the turn signal flasher where it can be found easily in the future!:smile:
Steve

Perkchiro

1968CS/GT said:
Okay, after all of that....the turn signals still do not work! The hazards flash, the bulbs are good....does that leave the switch?
Do I have to remove the steering wheel?
Once again any tips would help! (Thanks for the ones about the flasher!)

Yep, you gotta take the wheel off to get to the turn signal switch. Look at the bright side. You're getting to know your CS very well.

gt bandit

I installed my LED turn lamps the other day - not overly impressed.
I think the lamps diffused the light better
Also i swapped the Small Indicator unit with my Mustang project sequential unit.

didn't even realise that there are 2 units --------- It does however seem to work , why would this be

Mosesatm

Since I had to take my gauge cluster out again I took a photo of the emergency flasher for future reference.

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
Since I had to take my gauge cluster out again I took a photo of the emergency flasher for future reference.

has the interior in your car been painted? The fitting that connects to the back of the guge clusted has body/interior paint on it. None of mine have paint on them.

just curious.