• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Aqua GT/CS on eBay

Mustanglvr

Where did you find the vin # Arlie? It could be a clone. Isn`t that a 67 dash? He says in the ad that "it appears to be a California Special" I don`t see anywhere where he says its an actual California Special.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I emailed him for the VIN. I think he's a dealer and he seems to have no idea what to look for to see if the car is real.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Bandit, if you are going to inspect the car there are a number of things you can look for that can get you to 99% sure but only a Marti report will be 100% accurate. Let us know if you want to know what to look for and we can list the main items.

gt bandit

OZ shopper

thanks

I live in OZ and plan to begin my USA shopping assault soon , I am a bit hesitant to buy over Ebay.
But would really like some buying tips/verfication advice for the CS model.

also any recomedations on Buying Inspection services you can recomend would be greatly appreciated

has anyone used SGS.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I have a standing order in with these guys. They have found a few cars that I didn't know about but all in all I seem to find the cars before they do.

http://www.classicmustang.com/locating_service.htm

If someone else doesn't do it first I'll try to find some of the old posts dealing with identification issues and put together a list of things to look for.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

gt bandit said:
thanks

I live in OZ and plan to begin my USA shopping assault soon , I am a bit hesitant to buy over Ebay.
But would really like some buying tips/verfication advice for the CS model.

Listed below is a start at all the things to look for when inspecting a GT/CS. The best thing to do is get a copy of the GT/California Special Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual, by Paul Newitt. Everything I've listed below is probably in that book.

*VIN must start with 8R01 and the last 5 digits should be in the area of 118000 to 173000
*The build date must be between December 67 and July 68
*Foam rubber strip on underside of deck lid, in the corners near the tail lights. Most of these have been removed over the years and never replaced.
*'68 Shelby style twist type hood pins
*Hood pin retainers on the radiator support in place of hood bumpers
*Hood bumpers moved to fenders
*Clean ’67 grille with no mounting brackets for horse emblem
*Grille is not black…more of a dark charcoal brownish color
*There should be large fog light brackets protruding through the grill behind the Lucas fog lights or supporting the Marchal fog lights. The Lucas lights will be on grille-colored posts.
*No running horse emblems
*The top of the “S” in Special points towards the “I” in California on both sides
*“California” is above and to the left of “Special”
*Inside the trunk there should be 6 metal caps covering the backs of the taillights
*There should be no spliced wires leading to the taillights. Should be a Ford wiring harness.
*There are also issues concerning the quality and look of the fiberglass parts that others on this board will need to explain
*Side scoops should have 2 exposed screws at the leading edge that attach the front of the scoops to the body
*The Non-functional side scoops should have perforated metal plates in them held on with 2 pop rivets.
*There should be a black backing material behind the perforated metal plates
*Side scoops should have a small ridge along their leading edges
*Side stripes should wrap around the edges of the doors and fenders by 2 inches or so
*Chrome taillight bezels should be all chrome. They should not have black edges like the Shelbys
*Taillight housing panel should be painted body color, not argent like the Shelbys
*The rear spoiler “Mustang” script should be below the tape stripe
*There should be a black fog light pull switch under the dash below and to the left of the ashtray
*The taillights should not be sequential

Of course any of the above items could have been replaced, lost, or stolen over the years so just because something is missing or is not correct (except the VIN) does not mean the car is not an authentic GT/CS or HCS.

By the way the HCS will not have any scripts on the quarter panels and will have a purpleish shield on the side scoops instead of the GT/CS letters.

Paul Newitt is our resident expert and I’m sure he has a few other tidbits he could add to my list. Paul or anyone else what important clues have I missed?