• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Front Fender Mustang Emblem Placement

Perkchiro

Hello All:
I've been hard at my GT/CS restoration and I just sent the body out for Sheet metal replacement (new drivers door, fender, drivers floor pan and lower rear quarters and partial wheel house).
My question at this time is: What is the exact placement of the "MUSTANG" emblem on the front fenders? Is there a book or other resource that gives the placement of emblems? I know that the GT/CS only has the one emblem on the fender so where does it go? (No wise cracks!!)

Thanks for all the info I've gleaned from those who are well versed in GT/CS knowledge.

Mosesatm

The GT/CS "Mustang" emblem placement is the same as that for any '68 Mustang so the best thing might be to go to your local wrecking yard and measure the holes from a couple fenders. That way you will know for sure that the measurements are correct.

Just a thought.

hookedtrout

If you can't find a local car to take measurements from let me know and I'll take them off mine and send them to you as a pay forward for some great measurments that were sent my way quite some time ago.

Hook

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1715;start=0#msg10783 date=1116911611]
If you can't find a local car to take measurements from let me know and I'll take them off mine and send them to you as a pay forward for some great measurments that were sent my way quite some time ago.

Hook
[/quote]

Thanks Hook: I would have taken the measurement from the opposite fender, however my car was apparently in a front end collision at some time during it's life. The drivers fender was full of bondo but the passenger fender was replaced from a donor car. There was a Mustang emblem and a running horse 302 emblem. I'm having those holes filled so I have a clean slate to work from. If it's not much trouble, I would appreciate those measurements. I'm doing a ground up resto and I'm learning alot. I'm sure that I'll be "paying it forward" for others that want to restore their beloved GT/CS's

P

PNewitt

Just as an FYI....(and not a comment on anyone's car)

One more way to identify whether a GT/CS is real or not, is to look for the holes in the fender for the "horse and bars", which it never had. Either feel for these holes on the backside, or use a magnet to locate bondo, etc.

The GT/CS (HCS) never had horse and bars emblems on the front fenders.

Paul N.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1715;start=0#msg10807 date=1116958184]
Just as an FYI....(and not a comment on anyone's car)

One more way to identify whether a GT/CS is real or not, is to look for the holes in the fender for the "horse and bars", which it never had. Either feel for these holes on the backside, or use a magnet to locate bondo, etc.

The GT/CS (HCS) never had horse and bars emblems on the front fenders.

Paul N.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info Paul. I checked that out before buying this car. It's got the proper numbers and is in the registry. As I have dismantled this car, I've gained an interesting history on it. The crumpled hood, crunched doors and fenders, etc. leads me to believe that it was poorly repaired by a body shop that didn't take the time to replace original parts. The grille and fog lamps were gone too. The fog lamp wiring was cut at the grille. Not to worry, I'm returning it to it's original splendor and glory. Will post pictures when body work and paint are complete. Thanks for your wisdom and knowledge.
Steve

P

PNewitt

Steve--

You have your work cut out for you. I, (and I think everyone else) appreciates the time and hard work you're into to restore this GT/CS. It's not easy, and it's tedious, and expensive.

Thanks again for your determination to help preserve the GT/CS!

Paul N. 8)

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Paul: Thanks for the kind words. It certainly is a labor of love. I drove a GT/CS when I was 17. That was my first car and the car my wife and I dated in. I rued the day I sold it back in '75. Some say I'm a typical 48 year old who wants to recapture his teenage years. That's not it at all. I absolutely loved that car and I still think it's the most beautiful mustang Ford created. Sad to think that restoration costs more than the value of the car when it's done, but that's not the point. It's a piece of history that need's to be preserved. Just my take on it.

Steve