• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Removing Marchal lenses from sheet metal?

Sarge

Ok, I know the post is probably here somewhere, but I washed the car today and noticed some rusting at the bottom of my lenses. I took them off, and tried to separate the lens from the body, but it was pretty much glued on. Is there a trick to removing the lens without butchering the body or glass?

Thanks,

Robert

gtcs1

Ok, I know the post is probably here somewhere, but I washed the car today and noticed some rusting at the bottom of my lenses. I took them off, and tried to separate the lens from the body, but it was pretty much glued on. Is there a trick to removing the lens without butchering the body or glass?

Thanks,

Robert

I'm not sure you can do that. They're pretty much sealed for good I believe. Unless someone else found a trick to cut this seal? Looking at this seal, looks more like a dried glue.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Lucas lenses and housings are sealed with old-fashioned window putty which can be separated by gently and slowly prying them apart using a 1" putty knife, but I don't know if Marchals are sealed the same way.

nfrntau

It will come off but you need to be VERY careful. I used a razor blade, a thin blade putty knife and a small screwdriver. If you have the slightest little chip in the lens it can crack. I used the putty when I put mine back together, no leaks. Use a very thin small rope of it and it will flatten out. I used chrome paint for lens back piece.
Also, when you put the lens keeper back on the lens, don't over tighten. Let me say that again, don't over tighten. I thought I had it tightened to snug and CRACK, one 656 gone, see the photo in the link below. No sign of the putty but if you look carefully you will see the crack. I didn't post the words that accompanied the crack, lol.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7712&highlight=656