• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Help with tower clamps

DSO51

I recently rebuilt the radiator for my 68 HCS. The end result was great... but, I had to remove the upper and lower radiator hose clamps - obviously - to pull the radiator. The clamps I pulled off were the infamous tower style clamps. Even though I removed them carefully, I have been told that reinstalling them would not be wise.
So... 2 questions:
1. Should I reinstall them?
2. What is the best way to ensure a tight fit if I do?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Russ

If your tower clamps are original, I would try to restore them by pushing the tower back down and reinstalling them.

There is a question about what clamps to use on a 68 Mustang from San Jose, though. The other clamp is a "wire" type of clamp that supposedly was installed at San Jose, according to Kevin Marti. I have seen both types on San Jose cars.

Also, Marti sells complete kits, both tower and wire, that have original markings. You might want to consider purchasing these clamps from Marti, also. Hope this helps.

Russ

bish

I agree with Russ. I purchased an entire kit from NPD, replaced most of mine and I have had no issues with them.
Good luck

OP
OP
D

DSO51

Thanks for the input.
Every other hose is using the tower style clamp. Therefore, I want to keep it uniform. I have wormdrive type clamps on it right now and am really dissappointed in how noticable they are.

I consider myself mechanically adept, however for the life of me I can't figure out how to tighten these things up. Am I over thinking this? Do you just slide it on and tighten the bolt? Do you pull the bands tighter, if so, how. I have looked and looked on the "net" to get the info and have found nothing.

Thanks

Russ

Just slip the clamp over the hose and tighten with a 3/8" socket. Don't tighten with a screwdriver as it might slip and do some damage. The socket will keep the tower straight also. Good Luck,

Russ