• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mystery Part

rvrtrash

As I've said before, I bought my car in boxes. It's now almost finished (sounds good), but I'm stumped on one part that was in one of the boxes. I'm curious what it is/does, where it mounts, and where the vacumn line goes to. Mine is a 302 J code with air cond. and I suspect it has something to do with the air. Any help would be appreciated. ???
Steve

Attachments

• mysterypart.jpg
    mysterypart.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14

68sunlitgold

Steve,
It almost looks like the water valve for the A/C but I don't think it is. Here is a picture of the valve. It might be a part for the speed control, I will look over my diagram books. Do you know the options your car came with?

Doug

Attachments

• AC_valve.jpg
    AC_valve.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 13

Russ

Steve, It looks like the dashpot for the carburetor to me. Just a guess, as I don't have anything on my GT/CS that look like this part. Hope this helps.

Russ

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

It's not the water valve, I have that in place. The back side of the part doesn't move and has a small bolt that is screwed in, like an adjustments screw or something. My car doesn't have speed control (That I've found, and it's not listed on the 999 report). Other than the CS package, the car has air, am-fm stereo, auto trans, and that's about it.
Steve

murf104

Steve: From the photo it appears that have have a carb dashpot. It is only used on cars with automatic transmission, and it is slows down the return of the throttle when it closes. it mounts on the left front corner of carb, and the moveable plunger touches the arm on the throttle shaft and prevents the throttle shaft from snapping back to idle when jabbed and released if you have the dashpot adjusted correctly. Check your service manual for adjustment procedure. Murf

68gt390

Steve;
Just talked to Kevin at KAR here in Columbus. The part has nothing to do with the carb or whatever. It is strictly used on AC cars. It is a hot water shut off valve for the AC unit. Give Kevin/Bob a call at: 1-800-341-5949 and he will be more than happy to explain how it works. I have 2 390 cars both a 4 spd and auto non AC, I don't have that part on either of my cars. My neighbor has a 68 AC car 390 4 spd and he has it on his.
Hope this helps. Doug was right online when he stated it's a water control valve. That's what it is. It mounts right above the heater hoses on the passenger side of the car where they go through the firewall.

Don Potter 8) 8)

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I tried to call KAR but they were already closed. I'll try again on Mon. I have the water control valve already in place and hooked up, this part is different. It's not for the throttle because the end opposite the vac. port doesn't move and it's at the wrong angle to hit the throttle arm. I'm still open to other suggestions and appreciate the help so far.
Steve :)

68gt390

Steve;
Sorry, I should have told you there located in Columbus, Ohio. If I'm not mistaken we're 3 hours ahead of your time.

Don

68sunlitgold

Steve,
I looked in my '68 shop manual for the part, and Murf was right. It is a carb anti-stall dashpot. The throttle shaft and lever assembly is next to it. As he stated, when the throttle is released, it stops the it from going too far and stalling the motor. My scanner is not working so I can not scan in a picture of what it looks like on the carb. I will try to do it at work.

Doug

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Thanks for all the help guys. I would like to see how it mounts, although now it's probably academic. I started playing around with it and got the shaft unfrozen and moving (still moves air so the diaphragm is good) but when I tried to loosen the adj. bolt, it snapped off. I also no longer have the original carb. and the linkage on the 65 Ford carb. I'm using doesn't even come close to this thing, if it mounts to the front carb stud. The mounting plate is over 3" long and it sticks out quite a ways.
Steve