• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mustang Times - GT/CS Now and Then Article

BroadwayBlue

The latest Mustang Times has a good article on a couple that own a 68 and 07 or 08 GT/CS (I don't have the article in front of me right now)

They have a series of Now and Then pictures of the car and an article on the owners.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Here is a scan of the article

Attachments

• 2007-11 Mustang Times GTCS Now and Then Page 1 of 3.pdf
    482.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2007-11 Mustang Times GTCS Now and Then Page 2 of 3.pdf
    468.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2007-11 Mustang Times GTCS Now and Then Page 3 of 3 .pdf
    319.6 KB · Views: 52
P

PNewitt

I'm glad to see this article, as it furthers the GT/CS' popularity, and I thank Mustang times for running it.

I read that the (absolutely beautiful!!) yellow '68 CS has won a few MCA gold awards. For anyone getting a good look at the photos of that CS, here are a couple of things to notice in this article for future CS concours detailing:

-The tailight frames have black paint on them. That is not correct.

-The black hood stripes are glossy black. They should be low-gloss black.

-The deluxe steering wheel was a dealer upgrade, and is acceptible, but the woodgrain on the lower console is incorrect for a standard interior. Only the deluxe interior has the wood on the lower console.

I just wanted to point these things out, not to nitpick, but to point out what we're trying to do right now with changing the MCA rules (the taillight frames not having black paint, and the grille being dark grey metallic, not black). Seeing "incorrect" all-gloss hood stripes is common on restored Mustangs (in particular, Mach 1 and Boss cars, and shakers, too.)

It's an uphill battle to undo these rules for the GT/CS, but worth the "correction" to make sure that owners are not docked for these things, making it fair for all.

Paul N.

obsidianspider

Good article but there are a number of things that aren't stock on the '07:

Rear window "vents"
Sport slats on the back window
Stripes on the trunk lid

Then again, the GT/CS in Mustang Times is a whole lot better than the silver and pink abomination they ran a few issues ago... ;)

clubpro

Paul,

Just a correction to your list of judging items. The lower console never came with wood grain except on the Shelby's. The upper console would have the wood grain with the deluxe interior. The lower console does look good with the wood grain and probably should have been included in the deluxe interior package. Must have been a cost issue...

Ron

Last edited:

miller511

Ron,

Thanks for the clarification! I was beginning to wonder if I had the wrong lower console. I have the deluxe interior with both upper (woodgrain) and lower (non-woodgrain) consoles and had never seen the woodgrain on the lower console.

-Jeff

Perkchiro

Mine has the black stippled lower console and the wood upper console. I've thought the same thing, the lower one would look good in wood grain, but I've never seen that except on a Shelby, as you said. Thanks for the info.

Mosesatm

Here's woodgrain on '67 and a '68 consoles

Attachments

• ecee_12.jpg
    ecee_12.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 68 Woodgrain  Console.jpg
    68 Woodgrain Console.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 68 Woodgrain console.jpg
    68 Woodgrain console.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 31

clubpro

Moses,

I hope that you're not trying to say that yours came from the factory with wood grain. They do look good, where did you get the wood grain kit from?

Ron

68gt390

Most restoration shops carry them today. That's why it's a smart thing to do a little research before you go covering things with them. There are those out there that think just because a mustang restoration shop carries a special type of kit that it must have been a factory or stock item back in 68. Of course though if your not worried about being concourse than it really doesn't matter. I do have to admit though I like the lower console better with the wood grain.

Don

Mosesatm

Moses,

I hope that you're not trying to say that yours came from the factory with wood grain. They do look good, where did you get the wood grain kit from?

Ron

Those are just pictures I've taken off the internet over the years.

I have added woodgrain to mine, though. When I covered my upper console with woodgrain I purchased 2 upper pieces and trimmed one down for the lower console. Also had to fill, sand, and paint the rough texture so the vinyl would stick.

P

PNewitt

Paul,

Just a correction to your list of judging items. The lower console never came with wood grain except on the Shelby's. The upper console would have the wood grain with the deluxe interior. The lower console does look good with the wood grain and probably should have been included in the deluxe interior package. Must have been a cost issue...

Ron

You're absolutely right, Ron. I don't know how I missed that. I must suffer from "C.R.S."...LOL!

For what it's worth, the woodgrain for the console was an afterthought item made up in the 1980's by a vendor (if a '66 wood kit is good, make one for '67-'68.... This kind of stuff makes writing rules a nightmare...

I have the 1968 Ford Accessories catalog, and a '68 Mustang brochure with no mention and no photos of a woodgrain console applique for the lower console.

Here is a photo from the Mustang Brochure; a deluxe interior, and a black console. It's actually artwork, but the original intent is there..

Paul N.

Attachments

• dlx.jpg
    dlx.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 33

miller511

So, since the '68 Shelby's were all Mustangs ordered with Deluxe interior, did they NOT have woodgrain lower console?

P

PNewitt

The '68 Shelby console was a unique part, just for Shelbys, and they all had woodgrain. They also had an armrest/glove box with a padded lid with the Shelby Logo. The outer sides had carpet, and it had 2 gauges in it, too.

Someone could post a photo of one. They're pretty neat, and Branda offers them every once in a while.

They would have looked great in a GT/CS!!

Paul N.

clubpro

Here is a photo of the Shelby console.

Ron

Attachments

• 68 Shelby console.jpg
    68 Shelby console.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29