• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tail light bulbs

p51

Question:

I want to "brighten" my tail lights/brake lights. From what I can tell there are two options as far as replacement 1157 bulbs are concerned:

(1) H1157 - halogen replacement bulb.
Upside: Damn bright.
Downside: They are hot, draw more current (can the wire carry it?), and burn out faster.

(2) LED1157 - LED replacement bulb.
Upside: Draw low current. Brighter? (how much?)
Downside: Light is not as diffuse. More of a point source of light inside the tail light lense. Correct?

Does anyone have any opinions on bulbs? Are LED bulbs as bright? With an LED bulb does the GT/CS tail light lense diffuse the light enough so it looks like the whole tail light is illuminated? Any qualitative comments on the "cool looks" of LED bulbs? Any other types of bulbs?

Are there other things that can be done to increase brightness (the backs of the tail light are already silver refective)?

Input much appreciate.

Cheers!

case12

Go LED. They are so easy, and bright. There are many LEDs on one board, and the red tail panel diffuses the light (NOT like these rice burners that you can see each LED). I use them, and even bought the sequential type from MustangProjects. They are the best route to go - and several on the site have used them with only good things to say. Casey

OP
OP
p51

p51

The sequential tail lights at Mustangproject.com are way cool. And they look like their very easy to install. Much thanks for the pointer.

As far as bulbs are concerned I believe that the correct tail light bulbs for the GT/CS are 1157 bulbs. If so, I found another sight where you can buy them....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Cheers!

Joes68

Which bulbs are you all using? The 12,19, 24, or 30 LED bulbs? Not sure if the 12 or 19 LED is sufficient or not? Comments? Thanks
Ron

OP
OP
p51

p51

[quote author=Joes68 link=board=1;threadid=2066;start=0#msg13866 date=1124984832]
Which bulbs are you all using? The 12,19, 24, or 30 LED bulbs? Not sure if the 12 or 19 LED is sufficient or not? Comments? Thanks
Ron
[/quote]

I havent used any of them yet. But the ones I'm considering are:

1157-R24 Red LED bulb
Wide viewing angle
Super Red 24-LED 12VDC replacement bulb
15mm Dual Contact Bayonet Base
Unique Design has 18 LEDs aiming out the end and 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming 90 degrees from the base
Available with Narrow or Wide Angle LEDs
$ 7.29

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

The 30LED are only narrow viewing angle. I infer that they probably dont have as much diffuse light as the 24LED with the 6 radial LEDs.

Also considering the sequential LED signaling kit from mustangproject.com.

Jayscal

If your lights are not bright, is is due to faulty ground connections, and or the chrome reflectors inside are not as shiny. If you add an extra wire to ground each socket, and replate or use tin foil on the reflective areas inside the lights will be brighter, and your turn signals will work like they are suposed to. Please read my topic of tail ight repair, a few hours, and a few dollars (like less than $3.00) will have you tail lights and turn signals BLAZING bright, with stock bulbs, and factory appearance.

P

PNewitt

Great LED info from P51! Thanks!!

All I would add is that you can purchase reflective foil tape from Home Depot or Lowe's in rolls. It's used for ducting in homes for ventilation. It's kinda pricey, but it's perfect, and self adhesive for use in the taillight housings.

It's too bad that one of the Mustang vendors can't make vacu-formed chrome-plated plastic panels that would fit inside the housings (that would work also for Cougars and Shelbys, as well as '64-65 T-Birds).

Paul N.