• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Emission Decal for 302-4V

6t8-390gt

I am trying to confirm the emiison decal # for the 302-4V J-code motor. This is the decal usually found on the valve cover next to the oil fill cap. I have two and both are C8AE-9C485-B. This decal is not currently being reproduced so I am looking to ensure there are no variations to the original decal. I am in contact with someone who is willing to reproduce the decal, so I need correct information.

If you are not 100% certain of your decal being original and you respond, please reveal the possibility of it not being original to the car. I am only interested in the J-code 302-4V at this time.

Upon further thought let me know what your '68 C-code 289-2V has.

Danny

GTCSMustang

Hey Danny,

100% original 302-4V non-GT San Jose coupe.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00388.JPG
    DSC00388.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00389.JPG
    DSC00389.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00390.JPG
    DSC00390.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 89

clubpro

Danny,

I have access to the decal that you are asking about through Scott Drake. They are being reproduced and it would cost $3.95.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:
OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Ron,
Is it identical to the one Scott posted a picture of? Will you post a picture or scan of the Scott Drake offering? I could not find it through NPD or Va. Classic Mustang. I am doing a concours rebuild and detailing of a J-code motor and want everything correct. Thanks in advance.

Scott, thanks for posting the pictures.

Danny

clubpro

Danny,

You have been looking and shopping at the wrong Mustang parts dealer. Below is the photo of the decal and it is like the one that Scott has on his car except the part # is C8OE instead of C8AE like Scott's decal. I don't know if a concourse judge would notice. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• DF-562.jpg
    DF-562.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 68

murf104

The Jim Osborn Reproduction catalog # 35, page 106 lists part number C8AE 9C485 B as their part number DF0514. Oddly, this catalog shows the same part number for a 68 390 4V. Are they the same for a 302 and a 390? Interesting! There is no illustration to compare this decal to the one that Scott posted from his original vehicle. This catalog is one year old, and you may want to check the website for any update and possibly an image.

Mosesatm

Danny,

You have been looking and shopping at the wrong Mustang parts dealer. Below is the photo of the decal and it is like the one that Scott has on his car except the part # is C8OE instead of C8AE like Scott's decal. I don't know if a concourse judge would notice. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Ron

The idle speeds are different, 700 vs 625

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Ron,
Thanks for posting your picture, in addition to the # being different the RPM settings are also different. Although you are correct that most Judges would not notice, I am one of those "anal concourse guys" and prefer to get everything "right". Thanks again for your help/input.

Upon closer look at the NPD catalog they list decal D-160 as a C8AE-9C485-B decal. I will e-mail them and see if they will post a picture for me. I contacted ECS Automotive and they indicated they do not currently offer the decal, but would consider reproducing it if I could provide a scan. If anyone has a contact at ECS and is willing to push this along I would appreciate it.

Also if any other owners have original examples I am still interested in seeing what you have.

Scott, what is the build date on your car/motor? The motor I have is a 7L motor and has never been disassembled until I opened it up. It has the early valve covers w/ the same decal as you posted. I also have a set of later valve covers with the same decal, but have no history on them. Does your motor have the early valve covers or later style?

Danny

GTCSMustang

Danny,

The build date on the car is 3 July 68. Can't see the date on the engine because of the A/C bracket. You can come over and take it off if you want. Got some beer in the fridge.

Scott

J_Speegle

Danny took at look at the few hundred J code San Jose cars and the breathers are always in the way ;)

Best I found

css8R02J124710engdecals.jpg

css8R02J124710engdecals2.jpg

teamlo

Scott,

Interesting that the pics you have of the untouched J-code engine shows a
"302 Cubic Inches" air cleaner decal rather than the "4V Premium Fuel" version. Nice pics though, thanks.

Terry (Danny's cousin)

J_Speegle

Scott,

Interesting that the pics you have of the untouched J-code engine shows a
"302 Cubic Inches" air cleaner decal rather than the "4V Premium Fuel" version. Nice pics though, thanks.

Terry (Danny's cousin)

Terry good eye. Yes that is consisent with what we typically see on J codes built at San Jose in the second half of 68 production. I zoomed in too far on the pictures I posted for you to see it in the pictures I posted. This was a really nice original car I took pictures of in AZ about two years ago.

8R02J1247xxeng3.jpg

teamlo

OK, so if mine is an early build San Jose car, should I have the decal with "4V Premium Fuel" on my air cleaner, or just the standard "302 Cubic Inches" decal? I just want to clarify that this car is NOT a California Special, but rather an early build (December 20, 1967) San Jose J-code GT coupe.

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

My January 1968 built San Jose GT convertible has the "302 cubic inches" decal on the air cleaner.

Jeff - When was he changeover on the decals?

Scott

teamlo

Thanks all! I am going with the regular "302 Cubic Inches" decal for my 12/1967 built San Jose GT. Sounds like that is the correct one.

Terry

Mosesatm

Should a 289 air cleaner decal have orange/black or white/black checks?