• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

charging system problem

limp1969

Ok the gage inside jumps. I put a new amk alternator and regulator in the car . The car is grounded. When I place a meter on the battery to check voltage it is 14.3 when I rev the car it is still 14.3. When I turn on the head lights and blower motor it reads 12.4? Why is the gage still jumping? It jumps sometimes then is fine then jumps then is fine

franklinair

Is the regulator solid state or the old points & coil type? It sure sounds like the regulator. I read some exchanges on this site re: alternators and regulators, but I can't remember where. They mentioned a solid state regulator from NAPA @ reasonable cost.

rvrtrash

I believe you have multiple problems. First, the voltage at the battery should never drop below 13.2 volts. Is the alternator the proper amperage for your car and accessories? Is the harness from the alternator to the starter solenoid in good shape? If you have broken wire strands in the harness or at the connections, you will get the proper voltage with no load but it will drop with a load on it because you have no current carrying capacity. Second, you may have a bad ammeter (I'm assuming this is the gauge you're concerned about) or a wire that is shorting. Ford ammeters are only marginally useful to start with. They sample the voltage drop across a short section of wire in the main harness, instead of running the voltage through the gage, and aren't really sensitive enough to accurately portray what is happening. If the ammeter is jumping around, look for bare wires, especially below the radiator or where the main harness goes through the core support. If everything looks ok, you may have a bad gauge, although long distance trouble shooting is a dicey thing.

Steve

OP
OP
L

limp1969

Hi the wiring harness is very old and brittle, The alt is a really nice amk , I do belive it is a 65 amp but with the concourse stampings, the reg is a bogen warner, I also have the same problem with a brand new amk reg. The car does charge, but the barrety is one of those custom autolite old style ones, i do not want to mess it up

rvrtrash

You need to replace the wiring harness, if for no other reason, safety. It's a bad thing when all the smoke gets out. Nominal battery voltage is 12.6V, so you are running off the battery and discharging it when you're reading 12.4V. Not much, but if you took a long trip at night, you'd notice when your lights failed (Been there, done that :wink: ).

Steve

OP
OP
L

limp1969

can anyone tell me the best vendor for a wiring harness?
I am looking for quailty, the best concourse type out there.