• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

charging system problem

limp1969

i just installed a new amk alternator and amk regulator.
The old set made the gauge in the dash jump(pulse). I put the new alternator in first, started the car looked ok then started jumping, so I changed the regulator drove it last night and the head lights would dim a little when the gauge jumped. What is the problem?
Took a meter and teseted the voltage at the battery a stead 14.3 volt even if you rev the car upto 2.5k rmp the voltage change was .1 more.

rvrtrash

Check your battery connections and the ground strap from the engine to the firewall. If you still have a problem, tell me the voltage with the engine idling and the headlights and heater fan on.

Steve

robert campbell

This is a common problem in all older Mustangs. The voltage regulator works great when it is recovering from the initial battery charge drop of starting an engine. Once it achieves the recovery charge it cycles in and out at idle. When you drive the car and bring the RPM up the alternator holds the "draw" necessary to keep the voltage regulator from cycling. That is what you see at idle with the pulsing once warmed up. Cycling in and out of the mechanical regulator. This is common with "mechanical" voltage regulators. I have seen some sucess with newer "electronic" regulators with some cars. I converted my cars to the "one wire" type alternator with an integeral voltage regulator. Works great and no pulsing. The problem is it is not what a purist wants. You could leave a "dummy" regulator and no one would know except for the large wire and different looking alternator. My chioce as I am not a purist.

Steve is very knowledgeable. Maybe he has a better suggestion for retaining the factory parts.

Rob