• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Pandora's Box ....

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Too late .... but ....

Hmmmm .... We already put the gas out of the old tank (filtered) back into the new tank .... but we could check it again in future when it is empty?
They always seem to go empty eventually ....
:wink:

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Home again today ....

Well, the trailer just left and the car is back in the garage as of today. We'll spend all day tomorrow fixing the mechanical issues that we need to deal with, and then start re-installing parts, mostly interior related.
The new exhaust tips look just right with the GT valence, and the floorboards are now fresh and new with a coat of paint protection. The new headliner is now in and just needs a good cleaning. The wheels are now touch up painted, so we'll clean the chrome and have them ready for the tire shop to install the new rubber next week.
So far, so good ....., but only 12 days to go until the Mustang Roundup!
We'll keep you up to date on progress.

Attachments

• Rear view resized.jpg
    Rear view resized.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 21
  • GT wheels resized.jpg
    GT wheels resized.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29
  • GT exhaust tips resized.jpg
    GT exhaust tips resized.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Interior shot 3 resized.jpg
    Interior shot 3 resized.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Interior shot 2 resized.jpg
    Interior shot 2 resized.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Interior shot resized.jpg
    Interior shot resized.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30

franklinair

Lookin good.
I painted the black areas of my wheels with POR-15. It covers & kills any surface rust, and is great protection afterward. (Eastwood + others sell it)

Neil

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

The work continures today ...

The used set of factory GT wheels cleaned up quite nicely, but my fingers are sore and nearly blistered from scrubbing them with steel wool, Mother's Chrome Polish, and Solvol Autosol all of last night ...
The car is in the driveway as I type this and we're working on it now, but we had to stop for a fresh cup of coffee!

Attachments

• Restored wheel resized.jpg
    Restored wheel resized.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Restored wheels resized.jpg
    Restored wheels resized.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 22
  • GT wheels resized.jpg
    GT wheels resized.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Not a good day ....

Well, after another day in the driveway, the car is still far from completed. It seems that every time we went to put back in a newly rebuilt, refinished, or new part, we'd find a nearby or related part that also needed attention.
At this point, the shifter is out for a rebuild, the pedal assembly is out for rebuild, the pedal bracket is out for a rebuild, and we'll likely have to remove and re-seal both the windshield and rear window for the second time, this time with new gaskets and trim clips. All this will need to be done before we can even consider re-assembling the interior. Then we'll still need to do a fair bit of mechanical work and check over the major systems such as the brakes, etc.
The good news is that the heater box assembly was rebuilt, re-cored, refinished and repainted, and went into the car today without problem. I can't thank my mechanic friend Chris nearly enough for all his hard work and expertise. Without his talents and patience we (and the car) would be in a hell of a state!
The "to order" parts list isn't getting any shorter it seems, and tomorrow I will call the local distributor to order the latest batch of "bits" ...
We'll keep you posted over the next couple of weeks.
:sad:

Attachments

• Interior rebuild.jpg
    Interior rebuild.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Driveway rebuild.jpg
    Driveway rebuild.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Heater rebuild.jpg
    Heater rebuild.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Mark Puls

Hey, Just thought I would offer chime in to offer you some morale support.

Good Luck!! It will all be worth it when your taking that first cruise. After 2 years of having mine in driveable but now show worthy condition I decided to restore it. It has been tough not being able to take it for a spin since we have had some nice weather here in Ohio.

It is suprising how quickly the parts list grows and unfortunately faster than my bank account.

The previous owner after repainting decided to deaden the sound with carpet padding of all things.

The best part is he used construction adhesive to glue the padding all over the interior. I will post some pics so eveyone can appreciate the mess it made.

Mark

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Today was a long, but productive day!

Well, my mechanic friend Chris came over again today (Sunday) and we actually got quite a bit done on the Mustang. We pulled out both the front windshield and the back window and cleaned out all of the black butyl sealant “goop” that the owner before my friend we bought the car from had put into the window seals to prevent leaks. He must have pumped a full tube of that damn gooey black butyl sealant into the front and back windows under the trim. What a mess! The stuff sticks like sh*t to a blanket too, and we had to use a million paper towels and a brutal solvent (Tumbler) to clean it off a few inches at a time. We didn’t do too much paint damage in the process thank goodness, but we will have to touch up a few small spots before we re-install the glass again. Anyway, now it’s all cleaned out and I bought two new front and rear rubber window seals, so we’ll re-install the glass properly without the ugly goopy mess, and then it will be properly installed the way it should have been in the first place. We left the glass out for now, and I’ll spend a couple of nights after work this week cleaning the leftover goop off the glass itself so that we can put them back in the car next weekend. He re-installed the rebuilt clutch and brake assembly today too, and now they’re nicely cleaned up, tightened up with fresh bushings, repainted, and looking like factory brand new. I installed new clutch and brake pedal pads too, so it really does look factory new now. He also installed the brand new replacement Hurst four speed shifter today too, as the old one was missing some important parts and was just getting plain worn out to the point of being too loose and tough to shift gears with. We decided to nix trying to rebuild the old one and replaced it with a new unit instead. Next project, the rebuilt dashboard gauges and the new wiring harness re-installation!
Eventually we’ll run out of old worn parts that we need to replace in this car. Either that or I’ll run out of money! We’ll just have to see which solution comes first.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Windshield cleanup.jpg
    Windshield cleanup.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Windshield cleanup 2.jpg
    Windshield cleanup 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
  • Windshield cleanup 3.jpg
    Windshield cleanup 3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Windshield cleanup 4.jpg