• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Marti Report vs. Ford 999 history...FYI

mnut

For those of you who want to go the least expensive route and call Ford for a no cost,999 history report to find out your Mustang's original specs and options(call it from the buildsheet or doortag),don't think that it will also include door tag info.The wait is a killer too! I'll assume a lot of you know the difference between a Marti vs. Ford report but for those who don't,I thought I'd pass this along since it just happened to me.
I called Ford 9 weeks ago for a 999 report for this project 68 GT convertible I'm now selling to make sure it was in fact a real GT with a 4 speed and 9 inch posi.I see the 9 inch and 4 speed setup under the car.I just wanted to make sure it was ordered with the car.It was taking too long for the Ford report so I called Marti for the $17.00 standard report.Wouldn't ya know it?...the day the Marti showed up so did the Ford report.So from these papers I learned that Ford only gives a short list of options and VIN breakdown.What I mean by "short" list is that in it's list for my car,it didn't mention the posi,locking rear.I don't have to tell you how important that is! But also in Ford's report it DID state that it had GT equipment so that most important item was present.
So in closing,to any of you who don't have a doortag in your car or the one you're seeking to buy,pay at least the $17.00 to Marti as he gives the doortag info,VIN breakdown and all options,at least this is true for me.
I was thinking of pulling the factory 9 inch posi and 4 speed trans and shifter,installing it on my "J" code CS auto trans car and just selling the GT conv't shell but now have second thoughts? Just let the whole rusty conv't fly with it's desireable options intact?
Bob in Ohio

RedGTvert

I have seen many 999 reports that had a inaccuracies. They are not the most reliable.

Robbie273

Marti Report

I purchased a California Special and ordered a Ford Report to confirm the car was a true GT/CS. The report arrived a few weeks later and did NOT say California Special, I was upset and figured I had been screwed on the deal. I thought about selling the car at this point. My brother ordered a Marti report and it cam back as a real California Special and boy was I happy. I then contacted Ford and pointed out that they did not include the California Special option. They didn't even know that was an option back then so they did not include it. They sent me a new report including the California Special Promotion. and said sorry. Marti report is the only way to go.

case12

$17 Marti Report insurance - You can't get much cheaper - and it is the real-deal straight from the FORD database and exclusively licensed to him. It even comes with a cool "Ford Licensed" hologram sticker. :grin: Kevin Marti's report is the only way to know for sure unless you bought it new yourself, or your have the original bill of sale. Casey

vman

If you live outside the States and want to order a ford report. Forget it . I put in my order over a year ago and am still waiting.
It only took about a week for my Marti report.

John McGilvary

IMO you have got to understand that California Specials and Shelbys started out as " Base Mustangs ". All of the cool stuff was added later. That is why a Ford report is so generalized. That is why a Marti report is so important and shows what your Mustang ended up as.

John

rvrtrash

If you live outside the States and want to order a ford report. Forget it . I put in my order over a year ago and am still waiting.
It only took about a week for my Marti report.

I've had to order multiple times on a couple of my cars. I think they just drop the ball sometimes. I would be willing to call in your number if you want and then email the report when it shows up. PM me if you want to try that.

Steve