• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Stolen air filter!

luisa2552

Hi all. I've been away for a while enjoying what is left of summer break before the kids head back to school. Came home, pulled out the CS for a ride, open the hood to check the oil and lo-and-behold my air filter was missing! I thought maybe my mechanic forgot to put it back on last visit so I run it up there. I pull up and tell him my airfilter is missing and he looks at me, well like I'm a total airhead gorl and I don't know what an airfiler is. He lifts the hood and well, the look was priceless. They didn't have it so all we can figure is it was stolen.
This is a newbie question, but can the hood locks be made to actually lock??
Sara

CalPaul

This is a good question. As the value of original items keeps climbing how do folks on this site secure them? It sounds like a fair number of people here drive their CS/HCS on a regular basis which means leaving the car parked in a public area. What do you do to secure the engine compartment?

Perkchiro

My answer to this question is to park the car in a secure garage when away. When in a public area, keep it within range of your own eyes. If not, install a security system. Lastly, be sure to pay your insurance premiums! :)

davidathans

Get an under the hood hoodlock. The one I have on my car was installed by Mustangs ETC. in the San Fernando Valley. They told me it was factory. There is a key button that you put under your dash and when you want to lock the hood you just push it in and a plunger sticks into a bracket that is screwed into the hood. When you want to unlock it you use the key it comes with (its like a soda machine key). the tricky part is mounting the plunger so that it lines up with the bracket. You also never want to close your hood with the hood lock engaged because you get a nice pretty ding right in your hood. The hood lock mechanism goes right through the firewall under your dash.

If you want to lock the hood of your CS and keep the factory hood pins, give Mustangs ETC a call and ask about the "factory hood lock"

CalPaul

Hey David,
It sounds like you are happy with your hood lock system. Thanks for the info!

davidathans

To really see what im talking about specifically look at the very first picture in my gallery "David AThans" page 4 in the gallery..the first page in my gallery. You can see the plunger mechanism mounted near the grill.

davidathans

Or just look at any of my engine compartment shots. I am really happy with it, except when my mechanic closed the hood while it was engaged...because to date i have a ding right in my hood from it ...grrr

case12

Wow - and they left the hood locks? They are probably more valuable than the air cleaner.

I have a Viper alarm system on mine that will blow your ear drums if you open the hood (it uses a mercury switch). I am more afraid someone is going to come by, twist the locks off and take them.

Sorry to hear this happened...seems rather odd. Casey

nfrntau

I think thyey should treat car thieves much more harshly. Make it legal to shoot car thieves and see what happens to the amount of cars ripped off.
Cut off their damn hands or something. Until we stiffen up the laws these Aholes will continue to take our cars or things from/off our cars.
It's sad when a person feels they have more right to your car than you do and the government agrees with them.

OK I'm a little touchy on this subject. I had a truck stolen here in Texas while I was having lunch with a colleague. It was parked 10' from the drive through line. That's right, some SOB stole my truck and some SOBs watched him do it.

Yea, I think they should let us shoot the bastards.

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

Thanks for all the info. Some sort of security system will definately be installed when I restore it. It really surprises me too that someone took it. It was the original as far as I know, though. When I take it out for a drive it's just for quick errands and I never leave it for too long. My thought is that when it was in for some work a few weeks ago, the mechanic left it out (it's a fenced yard, but he promised me he'd bring it in!) and someone got in the yard and took it. Well, lesson learned!
Sara

hookedtrout

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=0#msg13748 date=1124747801]
I think thyey should treat car thieves much more harshly. Make it legal to shoot car thieves and see what happens to the amount of cars ripped off.[/quote]

It is legal to shoot them in Idaho. I have a concealed weapons permit and the right to defend my life and my property. And I will.

Hook

Perkchiro

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=0#msg13752 date=1124751819]
[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=0#msg13748 date=1124747801]
I think thyey should treat car thieves much more harshly. Make it legal to shoot car thieves and see what happens to the amount of cars ripped off.[/quote]

It is legal to shoot them in Idaho. I have a concealed weapons permit and the right to defend my life and my property. And I will.

Hook
[/quote]

Hey Hook, whataya packin? Down here in Missouri Glocks are quite popular.

Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=Perkchiro link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=0#msg13753 date=1124752084]
[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=0#msg13752 date=1124751819]

Hey Hook, whataya packin? Down here in Missouri Glocks are quite popular.

Steve
[/quote]

Beretta 40 or a JP Sauer 44 Mag.

Hook

[/quote][/quote]

Perkchiro

Hey Hook:

I know this is off topic, but does Idaho allow firearms in your glovebox without a carry permit? Missouri does. Sauer and Berettas, hmm, sounds like you have the GT/CS sercurity option installed. I'll be sure to announce my arrival at your place if I ever come up to visit you in Idaho!

Steve

jk89cat

that really sucks!! i hate when people mess with my stuff especially the cars , for how much $$ and time i put in them , its likely to get someone hurt if i catch them in the act . back when i was in high school, i had came home and noticed the my galaxies cover off, the hood up and the door open, i got to looking, and someone had tried to hotwire the car , WITH NO ENGINE IN IT!, i would of loved to see their face when they open the hood to find .............. NOTHING!.

Mosesatm

Another option to the hood lock issue is to remove the hood release handle and hook the latch to a cable then to a release lever. I think a remote trunk release was an option in '68 so the lever should not look out of place.

hookedtrout

[quote author=Perkchiro link=board=1;threadid=2062;start=15#msg13809 date=1124836005]
Hey Hook:

I know this is off topic, but does Idaho allow firearms in your glovebox without a carry permit? Missouri does. Sauer and Berettas, hmm, sounds like you have the GT/CS sercurity option installed. I'll be sure to announce my arrival at your place if I ever come up to visit you in Idaho!

Steve
[/quote]

As long as the firearm is not loaded and the bullets are not in the glove box with them, it may need to be broke down a stage as well. You can drive around with the firearm on the dash or out in the open but it can not be concealed without a permit. Which is understandable to me, and I support.

Hook