• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headers

Mosesatm

One of the future projects on my car will be changing the single exhaust over to dual exhaust with an "H" or "X" pipe. I had planned on using the stock manifolds but now wonder if headers are not a better option. Does anyone have any pros or cons concerning headers? I guess my biggest question is whether or not they offer much of a performance boost over the stock manifolds? And what's all this talk about headers toasting starters? That can't be good!

As usual, thank you for your insights and advice.

Perkchiro

What is your engine size? I have a J code and I switched mine to the HI-PO cast iron type. From the input I gathered, headers tend to loosen, disipate heat into the engine compartment, discolor and rust. I guess all of those points could be argued but if you are looking for an alternative for the small block, you might consider the hi po's.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Sorry, I guess the engine size would be an important fact to have. It's a 289 2V but it is not original to the car and it seems to have a little more punch than your average "C" motor.

Steve, are the HiPo manifolds readily available and/or reasonably priced?

Mustanger

[quote author=Perkchiro link=board=1;threadid=2050;start=0#msg13633 date=1124462022]
What is your engine size? I have a J code and I switched mine to the HI-PO cast iron type. From the input I gathered, headers tend to loosen, disipate heat into the engine compartment, discolor and rust. I guess all of those points could be argued but if you are looking for an alternative for the small block, you might consider the hi po's.

Steve
[/quote]

I agree with Steve. I've had JBA shorty headers before on my '89 GT - no problems. But I have the same on my '95 blown convt, and they need occasional tightening up of the bolts... and if you forget or let it go, you may need to replace the header gasket :(.
Now my Mach, 351C 4V, has the original exhaust manifolds, which are kinda like the hipo manifolds. No problems.

So if you want reliability, and a little more performance, hipo manifolds (or '69 351W manifolds) should do the trick - for a 289, 302, or 351W (for the resto-mod folks) ;).

But if you want max hp, then headers are a little better. It's a gamble as to how much maint. it'll require. To stay more period correct, I'ld consider Shelby Tri-y's ;).

(Also, if you're worried about rust and/or heat, for additional $$, you may consider ceramic coating them). 8)

Mustanger

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2050;start=0#msg13634 date=1124462488]
Sorry, I guess the engine size would be an important fact to have. It's a 289 2V but it is not original to the car and it seems to have a little more punch than your average "C" motor.

[/quote]

Arlie,
Several Mustang parts places carry them (repro's) although the price may be a little high, that's why I suggested the '69 351W manifolds because they're cheaper and a close copy of the hipo's.
If you're looking for headers, you can get them cheaper, although sometimes "you get what you pay for" as the saying goes. There are many Shelby Tri-y's out there, some better than others. If I were to install tri-y's, and money wasn't an issue, I'ld go for Doug's Headers tri-y's, they're supposed to be the best (even better than Thorley's Headers, Doug's first company, now being run by his wife). ;D

Perkchiro

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2050;start=0#msg13634 date=1124462488]

[/quote]

Yep, repo's are readily available. I purchased mine from e-bay but I've seen them on Tony Brandas website and Dallas mustang's catalog. I'm sure other parts suppliers have them too. Good luck!

davidathans

Before I had my 289-2V bored and stroked to a 347 and put on aluminum heads, i put on a set of Super Competition Long tube Hooker Headers. The individual tubes are much better for air flow than the stock exhaust manifold.

68gt390

As stated earlier in this post, header bolts do have a tendency to loosen up. A good fix for that problem is to use "Stage 8" locking bolts. I have them on my cars. Almost any high performance shop carries them. I got mine through Jegs. Haven't lost a header bolt yet using them.

Don ;D

nfrntau

The last time I installed a set of headers I soaked them in a bucket of water for about 15 minutes prior to installing them. Then after installing I brought the engine up to temp then retightened all the header bolts (watching out for my fingers) all of them were loose again. Then I shut it down and let the engine cool off. The next day went about my rat killing. Those bolts never loosened up after that.
Don't know if I was just lucky or if it was the order of things.
Cheers

p51

302 J code engine. I put on shorty headers along with a x-pipe and magna-flow straight flow thru muffs 24" long - a bit longer than std to make it not too loud and give it a nice more modern sound. Sounds like I'm running Nascar when I really open it up but is pretty quite when I'm puttering around town - although growls enough to turn heads. Also upgraded the pipes to 2.25". Figure from that I got a ~14% increase in hp (calc'ed from dyno tests extrapolated from wheel hp to flywheel hp and compared to '68 GT/CS hp spec). Butt dyno seems to confirm ;) Also, it increased fuel efficiency for set driving habits - actually got 21mph on the highway (but I really grandma'ed it to get a best case and I also have a 5spd). Have had no problems w/the headers after ~1yr.

One problem with all this. I found it impossible to get dual tips onto the 2.25" exhaust outputs and also fit under the valance and clear the back leaf springs. Anyone put dual tips on a 2.25" exhaust and get it all to fit nice? Any input appreciated - I'd like to put dual tips back on if at all possible.

Cheers!

Talan423

when i bought my gt/cs 6 years ago it had long tube headers with 3" exhaust that only went to the mufflers (probably because the previuos owner couldn't get them to go any further) and it was loud as hell. i tried to just deal with these for a while until i found the problems this set-up was causing to my power steering. i had to end up re-routing my power steering hoses under the car like the big block setup because everytime i turned the steering wheel the p/s hoses would rub in the headers and obviously melt them. the headers were rusty and ugly, also the bolts would constantly loosen. i tore it all out and went with stock manifolds, 2 1/4" dual exhaust w/ h-pipe, flowmaster delta flow mufflers and the chrome dual tips out the back. everything fit great and sounds great. i don't suggest trying it yourself unless you have a hoist and can weld. i ended up just taking it up to the exhaust shop and they had it together in no time.

good luck
tom

68gt390

[quote author=P51 link=board=1;threadid=2050;start=0#msg13677 date=1124513506]

One problem with all this. I found it impossible to get dual tips onto the 2.25" exhaust outputs and also fit under the valance and clear the back leaf springs. Anyone put dual tips on a 2.25" exhaust and get it all to fit nice? Any input appreciated - I'd like to put dual tips back on if at all possible.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Both my cars have 2.5" aluminum exhaust with stainless tips and full length Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Coated headers. They are both big blocks and the exhaust shop I took it to had no problems getting them on. Tips had to be spread a little on the backside to slide over the pipe but, everything fits nice and tight. It is close and makes for a fun time when replacing the rear leaf springs, but, it can be done. My tips are similar to the Mach I tips and they fit the cut out in the valance very nicely. See photo gallery "Don Potter" page 5, photo #11. Show's a rear shot of both cars.

Don 8)

jk89cat

just for kicks, how do you guys think those stock type hipo mainfolds would work on a 302 efi? mine has tri y's on it now , or so i'm told